ACORN getting raped

How does that change what I said?

People trying to keep their OWN money, is quite a bit different than people geting "FREE" money from the government.
trying to decrease your payment is the same as trying to increase your return. you're supposed to pay X dollars and you pay Y dollars instead. X>Y

*sigh*

No, it's not.
yes it is. in both cases the government has less money than it should. if i owe you $20 and pay you $10 you're short $10. If you owe me $10 and pay me $20 you're still short $10.

The problem is you don't think you owe the government the money, you think they're taking it. That is incorrect.

Perhaps, but that's not what I'm debating.
Ok. I totally see your position. You see the money on your paycheque and you want it all. Then you see some come out for various things and that pisses you off. You want to reduce the amount that comes out as much as possible. That's fair. However there is a line that can be crossed where you are defrauding the government out of what is their rightful share of your paycheque. When you begin doing that you are keeping money from the government by making false statements on your tax return or exploiting loopholes in tax law. That is equivalent to making false statements on your tax return or exploiting loopholes in tax law that increase your tax return.

i'm saying it's the same number and decreasing your payment from $12000 to $10000 is the same as decreasing your payment from -$1000 to -$3000. If done outside the boundaries of legal tax savings methods it's a dick move and I will have none of it.

Ok. I totally see your position. You see the money on your paycheque and you want it all. Then you see some come out for various things and that pisses you off. You want to reduce the amount that comes out as much as possible. That's fair. However there is a line that can be crossed where you are defrauding the government out of what is their rightful share of your paycheque. When you begin doing that you are keeping money from the government by making false statements on your tax return or exploiting loopholes in tax law. That is equivalent to making false statements on your tax return or exploiting loopholes in tax law that increase your tax return.

Thank you captain obvious.

The legality/illegality of various methods of reducing taxes has nothing to do with what I was saying.