Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know where I could get an assortment of lever/torsion springs?

I can find individual ones in the usual places like McMaster, Fastenal, and Amazon, but not an assortment.

Not sure what size and torque I'm gonna be happy with.

Anyone know where I could get an assortment of lever/torsion springs?

I can find individual ones in the usual places like McMaster, Fastenal, and Amazon, but not an assortment.

Not sure what size and torque I'm gonna be happy with.

without knowing size, thats pretyt much impossible.

Had the front wheel bearings replaced on my van yesterday thinking that's the loud grinding sound coming from the front end. Turn the wheel it gets louder, very similar to other wheel bearings that were failing. It wasn't the issue though. Looks like transaxel bearing or something else transmission related. Now I'm out $600 and still need more repairs. Fuck.

Had the front wheel bearings replaced on my van yesterday thinking that's the loud grinding sound coming from the front end. Turn the wheel it gets louder, very similar to other wheel bearings that were failing. It wasn't the issue though. Looks like transaxel bearing or something else transmission related. Now I'm out $600 and still need more repairs. Fuck.
Not sure what your grinding is, but my acura, after 100k, needed front axles about every 2-3 yrs due to the boot over the CV joint blowing out if you drove through a puddle (then, road crap would get in there & wear the joint down). It was $600 for both sides installed. refub'd parts.

You knew you needed them when you turned the wheel & the grinding started. I could usually get about 9mos more out of the axles after the grinding started. It would get progressively worse.

FWD drivetrains like to make noise from the CV joints, so you might try a new axle or CV joint before you go whole-hog and replace the tranny.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Not sure what your grinding is, but my acura, after 100k, needed front axles about every 2-3 yrs due to the boot over the CV joint blowing out if you drove through a puddle (then, road crap would get in there & wear the joint down). It was $600 for both sides installed. refub'd parts.

You knew you needed them when you turned the wheel & the grinding started. I could usually get about 9mos more out of the axles after the grinding started. It would get progressively worse.
Thanks. Grinding is consistent when driving straight (gets louder the faster you go) but much more noticeable when turning the wheel. It's always had a nagging grinding sound since I bought the van used like 2 years ago (sounded more like tire noise at the time), but the shop I brought it to couldn't determine the cause so I ignored it. Over the last 3 weeks it's gotten really annoying, even some slight vibration in the wheel. Turning up the music louder. I got an appointment next week to get it fixed.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
what i thought was a wheel bearing at one point was actually a busted lug stud. The tire was out of balance and while not noticibaly wibbly wobbly, enough to make bad noises.

CV axles usually give noise in turns before they become noisy going straight. That match what you've heard/felt?

I mainly ask cause "grindy" doesn't sound like CV axles to me, those usually end up clicking and popping before they get real bad.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
CV axles usually give noise in turns before they become noisy going straight. That match what you've heard/felt?

I mainly ask cause "grindy" doesn't sound like CV axles to me, those usually end up clicking and popping before they get real bad.

Same here. Every axle did a clunk clunk when turning and every bearing a continuous grind/noise but never the other way around.

I had a gentleman pull up next to me on an off ramp the other day and he motioned that my passenger side rear wheel was wobbly. I wasn’t overly concerned because I hadn’t felt anything, so I wasn’t surprised when I discovered the hubcap was askew, but he temporarily restored my faith in humanity.

Generally a few miles on the road makes me yearn for a giant meteor.

Good lug nut / fucking shit ass OEM garbage capped lug nut.

Speaking of nuts, I'd like to kick whomever designed capped lug nuts in their nuts.
fe50f42dc231d55f93d4d00b8491119a.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Status
Not open for further replies.