Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it have a carrier bearing on the long half shaft or anything else they might've missed?
Defect parts happen but they're not common, especially not something a reputable shop would source.

Why the fuck are none of these guys test driving your van after they throw parts at it and going, "hmm...that noise is still there" ???
From my reading, they did the carrier bearing on the longer halfshaft at the dealership, but I could be wrong.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Does it have a carrier bearing on the long half shaft or anything else they might've missed?
Defect parts happen but they're not common, especially not something a reputable shop would source.

Why the fuck are none of these guys test driving your van after they throw parts at it and going, "hmm...that noise is still there" ???
Noise issue for a long time, but in the past month gotten real bad. To me it sounded like bad wheel bearings, because you could turn the wheel and the sound would get louder or quiet depending on which side. So I took it to my local independent shop to have the wheel bearings checked and/or replaced. They looked at them and said it didn't have any play, and asked if I wanted to replace anyway. I did so thinking that it's hard to tell if the bearings are bad or not. They road tested and said problem still there so issue must be half shaft bearing and to take it elsewhere as they don't do any transmission work. Took it to stealership and the rest of the story you read already.

getting fucked by local shops and stealerships.

Yeah, it sounds like it's your differential carrier bearings at this point (inside the trans), @Josh.

Might be cheaper and easier to have the local shop drop and replace the trans than to chase weak points through a Chrysler transmission.

Noise issue for a long time, but in the past month gotten real bad. To me it sounded like bad wheel bearings, because you could turn the wheel and the sound would get louder or quiet depending on which side. So I took it to my local independent shop to have the wheel bearings checked and/or replaced. They looked at them and said it didn't have any play, and asked if I wanted to replace anyway. I did so thinking that it's hard to tell if the bearings are bad or not. They road tested and said problem still there so issue must be half shaft bearing and to take it elsewhere as they don't do any transmission work. Took it to stealership and the rest of the story you read already.

To be fair

It sounds like the local shop knew what the result was. Did they push you to have it done, or were they very clear it was not likely to help?

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
To be fair

It sounds like the local shop knew what the result was. Did they push you to have it done, or were they very clear it was not likely to help?
Local shop didn't push me into repair. I'm going back to them on Friday to square this up. Either them or stealship or both are going to make me whole somehow.

Local shop didn't push me into repair. I'm going back to them on Friday to square this up. Either them or stealship or both are going to make me whole somehow.
From my point of view, going off of the story that you have told, local shop didn't do anything wrong. They told you it sounded like a bearing, they checked the most likely ones and found them good. It's a little questionable that they may have then suggested changing them anyways, but not out of question. From this story, I'd try them out if I needed something done.

I would 100% go after the dealership. They should have known better, and suggesting the replacement of a brand new bearing is a fuckup that cant really be excused.

Ya from this I don't think the independent guy really did you wrong either.

I'd have him put it up on the rack and have the other guys in the shop be quiet for a few minutes. Turn things by hand and run it up there and just listen. Should be able to tell where it's coming from, internal transmission, wheel, or other.

The sound be less or different without the weight of the van sitting on it but if it's that bad it should still be there.

It's rather difficult to place an assistant under the vehicle during a road test to listen to different parts.

Regular mechanic replaced the brand new right front wheel bearing/hub assembly today, the same one they replaced last week, the one that the stealership said was bad, no change in sound. He also didn't see any major suspension issues that the stealership said my van has. He didn't charge me today. So I drove down to the stealership, asked to have the bad half shaft given to me, and the service rep and I walk into a quieter area. Can't hear anything wrong with the bearing, but it feels bad. Then I mention to the service rep that my mechanic didn't find anything wrong with the suspension despite what the stealership said was wrong with it. And that the noise is still fucking here. I'm pretty peeved at this point, and just asked for my money back. The guy had the gravitas to say let us look at it again. Wow, just wow. No, give me my money back. They're sending me a check for the labor, as I agreed to pay for the half shaft. Drove to another local independent mechanic and setup an appointment next week.

Regular mechanic replaced the brand new right front wheel bearing/hub assembly today, the same one they replaced last week, the one that the stealership said was bad, no change in sound. He also didn't see any major suspension issues that the stealership said my van has. He didn't charge me today. So I drove down to the stealership, asked to have the bad half shaft given to me, and the service rep and I walk into a quieter area. Can't hear anything wrong with the bearing, but it feels bad. Then I mention to the service rep that my mechanic didn't find anything wrong with the suspension despite what the stealership said was wrong with it. And that the noise is still fucking here. I'm pretty peeved at this point, and just asked for my money back. The guy had the gravitas to say let us look at it again. Wow, just wow. No, give me my money back. They're sending me a check for the labor, as I agreed to pay for the half shaft. Drove to another local independent mechanic and setup an appointment next week.

How much more time and money will you spend on this thing before you drive it into the Penobscot?

And dumb question, could it be the breaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.