Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work shaping it to fit.

Does this mean you can have a spare tire again?
This is for the Audi, not the Datsun.

In any case, I'm fucked if I blow a tire. The 300ZX has a donut that won't fit over the front brakes (so, swappy back and forth or patch). The Audi has a donut that won't fit over the front brakes (so, swappy back and forth or patch again). The Datsun doesn't carry a spare, because I don't drive it places where the threat to recovery is so bad that I can't leave it and come back later (so patch it or tow it).

I carry a patch kit in each of the cars, as well as a compressor, so I'm not super unprepared.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
This is for the Audi, not the Datsun.

In any case, I'm fucked if I blow a tire. The 300ZX has a donut that won't fit over the front brakes (so, swappy back and forth or patch). The Audi has a donut that won't fit over the front brakes (so, swappy back and forth or patch again). The Datsun doesn't carry a spare, because I don't drive it places where the threat to recovery is so bad that I can't leave it and come back later (so patch it or tow it).

I carry a patch kit in each of the cars, as well as a compressor, so I'm not super unprepared.

Are your cars hotrodded enough a stock wheel won't fit or just the donut?

I'd grab a regular size junkyard wheel for a spare for the daily driver if possible. I've done the changing 2 tires to get the spare in the right spot thing before. It works but it's not a pleasant task on the side of the highway.

Can't remember which car it was I used to have but it had say 15" rims because some trim model but the spare was an inch smaller because it was from base model and wouldn't fit over the front brakes.

Also 10" sealed box sub? Maybe a 12 at the most?

Also good choice. IME that's all it takes in most any size car if you're looking for good, responsive, controlled bass that actually blends well with the rest of the sound.

More than that, or the large but poorly designed ported boxes are for one-note-wonder boom boom. Good for loosening bolts or being a public menace. Not so good for the ears.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Are your cars hotrodded enough a stock wheel won't fit or just the donut?

I'd grab a regular size junkyard wheel for a spare for the daily driver if possible. I've done the changing 2 tires to get the spare in the right spot thing before. It works but it's not a pleasant task on the side of the highway.

Can't remember which car it was I used to have but it had say 15" rims because some trim model but the spare was an inch smaller because it was from base model and wouldn't fit over the front brakes.

Yep, too much brake up front on the Audi and the Nissan. They both came with a 16" wheel stock. The Nissan now has 13" Brembo brakes that only fit under 17" wheels. The Audi has Porsche brakes that fit under only *some* 16" wheels (and not the spare).

Also 10" sealed box sub? Maybe a 12 at the most?

Also good choice. IME that's all it takes in most any size car if you're looking for good, responsive, controlled bass that actually blends well with the rest of the sound.

More than that, or the large but poorly designed ported boxes are for one-note-wonder boom boom. Good for loosening bolts or being a public menace. Not so good for the ears.

It's an 8" shallow mount DVC sub. This one, to be precise. I'm not one much for "boom boom", just want a little reinforcement for the component 5 1/4" speakers in the doors. But yeah, sealed box is the plan, about 1/2 CF volume.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Yep, too much brake up front on the Audi and the Nissan. They both came with a 16" wheel stock. The Nissan now has 13" Brembo brakes that only fit under 17" wheels. The Audi has Porsche brakes that fit under only *some* 16" wheels (and not the spare).

It's an 8" shallow mount DVC sub. This one, to be precise. I'm not one much for "boom boom", just want a little reinforcement for the component 5 1/4" speakers in the doors. But yeah, sealed box is the plan, about 1/2 CF volume.

That'll work well. Fill in and support without being overbearing. Also very "tight" and controlled. No ringing after the hit and a real sense of pitch.

Most of what people throw in cars for subwoofers ruin other peoples impression of what a well implemented one can do. You'll def be the exception, lol.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Ugh, the kid who rebuilt his Z in my garage just keeps having shit luck.

He dropped his car off at a place to be "wrapped" in vinyl, they horsebeat the thing and the timing belt jumped (they deny this, but it's obvious what happened). He wasted a week pussyfooting around with it, and then last night someone broke into the fuckin' thing, stole everything in his hatch (an ECU, a full set of stock suspension, a set of spark plugs, and a boatload of tools), and his battery.

That'll work well. Fill in and support without being overbearing. Also very "tight" and controlled. No ringing after the hit and a real sense of pitch.

Most of what people throw in cars for subwoofers ruin other peoples impression of what a well implemented one can do. You'll def be the exception, lol.
heh, I only do sealed boxes. The Nissan has a custom fit glass-backed one:

20060101_-_Sub_Enclosure_Fiberglass_2-me.JPG

20060109_-_Sub_Enclosure_Finished-me.JPG

The Datsun also has a 10" with a sealed enclosure.

IMG_20170307_191545-me.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Enough bass for Metal.

I'd argue "for metal" makes it an even better choice, assuming the overall volume isn't obnoxious and/or the windows are rolled up. Tight, controlled, and responsive.

Some specs might look a little anemic compared to some other woofers but it's a quality over quantity thing.
Ain't many things will fuck up a metal sound more than the bass flopping around like a fish on a muddy riverbank.

heh, I only do sealed boxes. The Nissan has a custom fit glass-backed one:

20060101_-_Sub_Enclosure_Fiberglass_2-me.JPG

20060109_-_Sub_Enclosure_Finished-me.JPG

The Datsun also has a 10" with a sealed enclosure.

IMG_20170307_191545-me.jpg

That is some nice work with all the form-fitting/odd shapes.

There was a bit of a fad a few years ago in the bass guitar world with custom, one-off, garage builders doing fiberglass/foam or other core sandwich type builds that burned out pretty quick. The goal was of course lightweight gear but it's too labor intensive and thus expensive without any real noticeable weight savings that might be considered worth the price happening until you got into the large end of cabinet size and people who drag around boxes that big don't cry about a few pounds here or there.

Ugh, the kid who rebuilt his Z in my garage just keeps having shit luck.

He dropped his car off at a place to be "wrapped" in vinyl, they horsebeat the thing and the timing belt jumped (they deny this, but it's obvious what happened). He wasted a week pussyfooting around with it, and then last night someone broke into the fuckin' thing, stole everything in his hatch (an ECU, a full set of stock suspension, a set of spark plugs, and a boatload of tools), and his battery.
Walter White's customer base.

I have a 12" car sub driver in the closet that IIRC specs out pretty good in a 1.25-1.33 cu.ft. box. I should put it in the trunk of the Buick, then get one of those giant shiny hood ornaments that looks like a swan or a mermaid or something.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll do.

So I brought my vehicle to a stealership to have the transmission checked for that noise. They said it was the half shaft bearing causing most of the noise and replaced it. They also said that one of the bearings was bad (even though I just had it replaced last week). They showed me the half shaft bearing, he spun it around inside the loud service dept and I couldn't hear shit like it was binding up or whatever. He said they don't replace many of these and had to drive an hour to get the part as it isn't commonly stocked. $700 bill, leave the parking lot, and still have the same fucking noise. I feel like I'm getting ripped off here. I have an appointment to bring the vehicle back to the local shop that replaced the bearings originally to have them check it again. Are there bad wheel bearings out of the box? Can you fuck up the install of wheel bearings?

Every single vehicle I've owned has had serious problems and been a complete money pit. 2001 Chevy Blazer, 2006 Subaru Forester, and now this van. I hate vehicles. Money pit with no appreciated value.

Only when you buy them from @fly's Amazon store chock full o' Chinese slave labor.

I dunno exactly where the local shop sourced the parts. I think it is like a Napa clone.

Dunno, are they cup and cone that rely on tension supplied by the axle nut, or cartridge (bolt-in)?
No idea. 2012 dodge grand caravan. It's my work van as I keep a bunch of boxes of parts, several ladders, bulk cable, tools, and other stuff in the back.

So I brought my vehicle to a stealership to have the transmission checked for that noise. They said it was the half shaft bearing causing most of the noise and replaced it. They also said that one of the bearings was bad (even though I just had it replaced last week). They showed me the half shaft bearing, he spun it around inside the loud service dept and I couldn't hear shit like it was binding up or whatever. He said they don't replace many of these and had to drive an hour to get the part as it isn't commonly stocked. $700 bill, leave the parking lot, and still have the same fucking noise. I feel like I'm getting ripped off here. I have an appointment to bring the vehicle back to the local shop that replaced the bearings originally to have them check it again. Are there bad wheel bearings out of the box? Can you fuck up the install of wheel bearings?

Every single vehicle I've owned has had serious problems and been a complete money pit. 2001 Chevy Blazer, 2006 Subaru Forester, and now this van. I hate vehicles. Money pit with no appreciated value.
Go back to the dealership, demand at least the labor cost back. Aim for parts as well, but I'd be satisfied with labor, taxes, etc.
If you get no satisfaction there, I'd contact corporate.

I dunno exactly where the local shop sourced the parts. I think it is like a Napa clone.

No idea. 2012 dodge grand caravan. It's my work van as I keep a bunch of boxes of parts, several ladders, bulk cable, tools, and other stuff in the back.
They're bolt in according to RockAuto, so not really much you can fuck up on the install.

Does it have a carrier bearing on the long half shaft or anything else they might've missed?
Defect parts happen but they're not common, especially not something a reputable shop would source.

Why the fuck are none of these guys test driving your van after they throw parts at it and going, "hmm...that noise is still there" ???

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel and Jehannum
Status
Not open for further replies.