Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you cut the hole bigger and seam-seal some metal in?
Pull interior (fuck), find a couple scraps of sheet metal, tin snips/hammer/pliers/expletives/whatever to make something that fits the corner of the footwells, sand off enough paint to tack weld it in place, reassemble interior (fuck)

Pull interior (fuck), find a couple scraps of sheet metal, tin snips/hammer/pliers/expletives/whatever to make something that fits the corner of the footwells, sand off enough paint to tack weld it in place, reassemble interior (fuck)
I thought you said it was just replacement of the footwell drain.

So, a 10cm hole saw and some seam sealer and you're off and running.

how they ever gonna tell if you have an undercoating on it?

Put it on the lift and poke around. And/or use a magnet.

I don't know how strict Canada is. Down here it wouldn't matter. In Germany they put them on a lift and literally poked around with an ice pick seeing if any rust would fall. No bondo or fiberglass allowed. Metal can only be repaired with metal

Most cars look so much the same now and have for long enough it doesn't even matter. You have to hunt for a brand label and then make a determination "how should I feel about this brand/price/status"?

Sure, there's minor differences if you inspect them closely but flying down the road at a glance, pretty much all you got is categories. Small car, larger car, truck, small SUV, larger suv, van.

And they all got some Batman looking led light thing that's on even when the sun's out.

For me, the Q5 hit a bunch of check boxes.

Tons of room for us/dogs/camping gear/etc.
Towing capacity. Q5 pulls 4400lbs, for some reason every other SUV/crossover/whatever can only tow 1500. We hauled a 2500lb trailer last fall to ontario and back and plan to do more of that stuff.
Actual decent full time AWD system instead of a "shit the front wheels spun, hammer on the back wheels" reactive AWD system that every other SUV seems to have.

Ultimately it came down to the choice of a Q5 or an Outback, sat in both and greatly preferred the Q5's interior/features/whatever, and the Q5 was going for a better price.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
More news from my mechanic: rear beam axle is screwed on the GTI.

Went to the U-pull lot today to get another one... however they have a rule that you can't bring torches or jacks into the scrapyard for safety reasons. But, the rear axle has the rear springs under compression, even with the car jacked up. You have to put a jack under the rear shock mount, disconnect the shock and let it down to take pressure off the spring. Explained this to them, "nope, no jacks allowed"

So I climbed under a '06 Golf TDI, loosened the bolts on each side where the axle attaches to the body brackets... stood way the fuck back with 2 extensions on a socket and took a bolt out.... BANG. Axle hits the ground, severs the brake line on that side, dust everyhwere. Did the same on the other side.. BANG. Safety first!

Didn't get the damn thing out of the car before they sounded the "we're closed!" horn though. Going back tomorrow to finish the job.

More news from my mechanic: rear beam axle is screwed on the GTI.

Went to the U-pull lot today to get another one... however they have a rule that you can't bring torches or jacks into the scrapyard for safety reasons. But, the rear axle has the rear springs under compression, even with the car jacked up. You have to put a jack under the rear shock mount, disconnect the shock and let it down to take pressure off the spring. Explained this to them, "nope, no jacks allowed"

So I climbed under a '06 Golf TDI, loosened the bolts on each side where the axle attaches to the body brackets... stood way the fuck back with 2 extensions on a socket and took a bolt out.... BANG. Axle hits the ground, severs the brake line on that side, dust everyhwere. Did the same on the other side.. BANG. Safety first!

Didn't get the damn thing out of the car before they sounded the "we're closed!" horn though. Going back tomorrow to finish the job.
I always think about Jose when I do suspension work.

Jose works down at Big O Tire, and has 4 1/3 fingers on his right hand, because he severed the index doing risky shit around car springs.

Getting some pipe for my dad for Father's day.

We've been dealing with some vapor locking issues on the GTO in the heat, so I figured it's time to put a bypass-style fuel system in like I did in the Datsun. Bypass style means adding an electric pump and a return-style FPR, and a couple other little bits (a 100 micron fuel filter between the tank and the pump, a 40 micron filter between the lines and the rail, and a return line to the tank).

I hate how expensive the fuckin' fittings are, but AN shit is what Dad wants, so AN shit is what I'll buy. I might need another couple fittings, but I've got enough spares in my stock right now that I think I'll get by without anything more.

IMG_20180601_172411.jpg

I'm surprised they aren't facing massive fines/lawsuits for violating the license of the software for so long.

Still, patents released, open source software being released, anyone wanna make their own Tesla?

https://www.zdnet.com/article/tesla-starts-to-release-its-cars-open-source-linux-software-code/
I'm encouraged that Tesla is working towards compliance, that's probably why there aren't any moves afoot to fine them.

It's an area I'm sensitive to, both for obvious reasons (being an OSS advocate) and for non-obvious reasons (which I'm not going to get into on account of who I work for).

• Gravy
Reactions: gee
Under the hood of my neighbors' Audi 80. 40 valve, 4.2L V8 tuned for about 400hp/400lb-ft. Car weighs about 2500 lbs.

zHbguKD.jpg

He blew the factory transmission, just finished putting a 6 speed out of a B6 S4 in there. This car is gonna be a hoot.

I powdercoated 6 brake calipers today.

My friend with the wacky S13/Z32 suspension under his Z31 finally decided the brake setup for that. He also bought a ratty-ish turbo Z31, and decided to do the Z32 conversion for the front brakes.

So, we did the front two for the new Z31 black, and finished up all 4 for his wacky Z31 in red with clearcoat.

It was a busy day.

Status
Not open for further replies.