Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're a Miata guy, right?

I can't imagine struts going that soon on something so light. On my 4000 pound land-barge 300ZX, sure.

Not a clue. Stock, my Z came with an adjustable valve setup, where there were two settings for the valve holes - big ("touring") and small ("sport"), adjusted with a switch in the center console, which drove linear actuators out on the strut heads, that turned keyed shafts inside the strut shaft and moved the valves to different areas on the shims.
Mazda has had a "Light makes right" concept going with the Miata for forever. Lighter parts break easier. Ladybutt's Miata had a rear strut go out at about 60k

• Gravy
Reactions: Hoff Kinkmeister
Mazda has had a "Light makes right" concept going with the Miata for forever. Lighter parts break easier. Ladybutt's Miata had a rear strut go out at about 60k
That and the size makes parts cheap af.

Except the fucking ISCV that is $550 from Rock and not serviceable.

170510549P20170510121047vHDRAuto.jpg

’91 diesel Jetta, fuel pump leaks between injectors (lower of picture) and main body. This is a spare of unknown provenance. What to do?

Asking for a friend.

Yep. '91 says seals, o-rings, gaskets, etc. Basically stuff that's supposed to keeps liquids in the right places that isn't made of metal.

Wouldn't hurt to drive it a bit with a pressure gauge hooked up for a while and keep an eye out for the next leak either. Fix that shit and make it good again and it'll find the next weakest link. Could be internals of the pump or some other seal down the line. The shit is 26 years old. I'd expect to be chasing pressure leaks more than once.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Looking at that, I wonder how close it is to the one I pulled off a mini-dozer years back. It was also a Bosch. I went on leave as it was off being rebuilt and it came back and the FNG installed it in the wrong position so it was either 60 or 120* out of phase of the motor.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Looking at that, I wonder how close it is to the one I pulled off a mini-dozer years back. It was also a Bosch. I went on leave as it was off being rebuilt and it came back and the FNG installed it in the wrong position so it was either 60 or 120* out of phase of the motor.

I would imagine, like most things, Bosch makes a few different pumps but not nearly as many pumps as there are applications for those pumps. Volume, pressure, etc. The differences would be the stuff attached to the actual pump.

Of course nowadays you just replace the whole assembly but having the same pump on some mini excavator or mini dozer as there is on a 91 Jetta makes more sense than it doesn't.

I'd take the pump to an old VW mechanic if there's one in your area, they can probably tell you all about the thing and what's gotta be done.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Status
Not open for further replies.