FYI 14 dead, 50 wounded

I'm at a bar now, some guy is preaching "every male over 25 should be required to carry a gun". That would of stopped this..... Why god why.

Here's why I have a problem with people carrying guns. Once citizens and cops carry guns, it's inevitable that criminals will realise they need guns in order to increase their chances of surviving any confrontation. Whilst there will always be a percentage of perps would carry a gun anyway, I think it's far lower when they don't feel likely to be confronted by, for example, an armed householder. You then have a vicious circle of gun carrying for offensive/ defensive purposes. Whilst you carrying a gun, therefore, may make you and your family safer, it actually increases the risk to anyone who isn't carrying as the small time mugger will now be equipped in case it's you he runs into.
The balance of power hasn't shifted between the good and the bad, but the likely damage from any encounter has increased.

Of course America isn't going to lose the guns anytime soon, but it's pretty dumb to pretend that large scale gun ownership in a violent society isn't responsible for a large part of that violence.

Comparisons with Switzerland aren't really valid when trying to justify gun ownership. Whilst Switzerland is 31st across all crime, it's 17th for murder with firearms. A pretty law abiding country with a small population (8 million ) has 7 times the murders with firearms that the UK ( 60 million) has. It's not the utopian world of peaceful gun ownership it's often claimed to be.

What does the
small time mugger.
Mug you with?

You don't feel in anyway that this would make them think twice about mugging someone?

I have a huge dog in my apartment, she barks like she will kill you, but is really a big softy. I feel like a robber would just go to the next apartment vs bringing treats for my dog.

Last edited:
In the UK it would probably be a knife. In the US maybe a gun. There's a significant difference in ability to outrun the different threats making an incident where a gun is involved more dangerous. I have been subject to attempted muggings more than once without losing anything or having to pull a gun. Had gun ownership been more common here, the mugger might well have had a gun, in which case I'd have been mugged. And frankly, I don't carry anything that I consider is worth killing someone over.

Last edited:
What does the Mug you with?

You don't feel in anyway that this would make them think twice about mugging someone?

I have a huge dog in my apartment, she barks like she will kill you, but is really a big softy. I feel like a robber would just go to the next apartment vs bringing treats for my dog.

If your logic were correct then America would have a low crime rate wouldn't it? Instead you have a crime rate that is hardly enviable with the added benefit of more crime being committed while carrying guns. And your point about moving the crime onto your neighbour is the point I was making. You haven't prevented a crime, just ensured that your neighbour now needs a large dog too. Guns breed the need for guns.

So, now there is this conspiracy shit going on.

Which does lead me to ask 'How the fuck did he actually afford all this shit'. That is one very real question that the looneys came up with that makes sense.

It would be cool if some of the movie proceeds went toward paying the medical bills of the shooting victims. There are a lot of uninsured victims who are now completely uninsurable.

It would be cool if some of the movie proceeds went toward paying the medical bills of the shooting victims. There are a lot of uninsured victims who are now completely uninsurable.

Not at all. ACA allows for pre-existing conditions so they're good.

If your logic were correct then America would have a low crime rate wouldn't it? Instead you have a crime rate that is hardly enviable with the added benefit of more crime being committed while carrying guns. And your point about moving the crime onto your neighbour is the point I was making. You haven't prevented a crime, just ensured that your neighbour now needs a large dog too. Guns breed the need for guns.

So you've been mugged, you admit if people don't have guns they will have knives. Also feel you can outrun anyone w/ a knife, and I'm guessing you think they won't just stab you first then rob you? :fly::fly: Also it's not about just being mugged, it's about being assaulted , raped, murdered, etc etc.

So, now there is this conspiracy shit going on.

Which does lead me to ask 'How the fuck did he actually afford all this shit'. That is one very real question that the looneys came up with that makes sense.

Contrary to popular belief none of the stuff he had was incredibly expensive.

... And you can't outlaw guns. It just pushes criminals to take it further under ground/black market. Then it's really hard to control and it is shitty when only bad guys have guns and you don't.

Give me guns or give me death!

Garble Garble....

... And you can't outlaw guns. It just pushes criminals to take it further under ground/black market. Then it's really hard to control and it is shitty when only bad guys have guns and you don't.

Give me guns or give me death!

Garble Garble....

This is already the case.