fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,859
Steam
mattressfish
universe.gif

Sometimes it makes me sad to know that I'll never be able to travel in space, outside of hallucinogenic drugs. :hs:

even more impressive when you realize that had it been done to scale earth would have been invisible once we saw our own sun :o

You can still make it into space. Commercial space travel will probably be affordable for middle class folk within our lifetimes. Personally I'd rather be part of exploring space, not just paying for it, but I'll take whatever I can get.

even more impressive when you realize that had it been done to scale earth would have been invisible once we saw our own sun :o

You can still make it into space. Commercial space travel will probably be affordable for middle class folk within our lifetimes. Personally I'd rather be part of exploring space, not just paying for it, but I'll take whatever I can get.

[KNYTE staying true to form]Guns don't work in space, no reason to go up there.[/KNYTE staying true to form]

[KNYTE staying true to form]Guns don't work in space, no reason to go up there.[/KNYTE staying true to form]
sure about that?

6547407f0754c01.png

Why not? Gunpowder has an oxidizer...

revolvers and bolt action rifles will work but semi-autos wouldn't since they need atmospheric pressure to cycle the action. you'll get one shot off and have to rack another one into the chamber manually

edit: this is also assuming you're attached to a very stable platform because recoil-operated firearms require a strong resistance in order to cycle the action. if you were just floating there there'd be no resistance and you'd fly in the opposite direction of your bullet

Last edited:
Really? I don't know a whole lot about guns, but I thought it simply used some of the 'kickback' energy to knock back the action.

For recoil-operated guns, yes. I should have specified gas-operated semi-auto rifles. :o Although now that I think about it I think the lack of atmosphere would have a significant impact on recoil, too. The slide doesn't start moving back until there's a specific pressure difference between the barrel and the outside of the gun so that the action cycles at the right time.

Actually....damn, I need to research this more. How much of a difference does that 14.7 psi make..:confused:

All I can think of when looking at amazing Hubble photographs is "How the hell did Heidi Klum end up with Seal?"