WTF the sky is falling holy crap....

ChikkenNoodul said:
From all of the benchmarks I've seen, it's about equal.

Considering my 2.4 is 3 years old, that's a pretty shitty deal.

I bet its prettier

ChikkenNoodul said:
Sure clock speed vs. clock speed it's better in many situations, but not all.

I'm just pissed because I've got a P4 2.4 and I'm being forced to get a 1.6 Pentium M :rolleyes:

I think the only benefit I'll see is that it runs a bit cooler
I've got a 1.7 Pentium M in my Thinkpad, and it's just about the same speed, maybe a little slower than my desktop with an Athlon 2400+ in it. I too was dissapointed with the performance of these new chips. I expected it to be much faster than it is in actuality. Battery life is really great though, I can get about 6 or 7 hours out of a full charge if I turn everything to power save mode.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Sure clock speed vs. clock speed it's better in many situations, but not all.

I'm just pissed because I've got a P4 2.4 and I'm being forced to get a 1.6 Pentium M :rolleyes:

I think the only benefit I'll see is that it runs a bit cooler
Longer battery life...

LOLOL Apple is also into Marklar:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/06/technology/06apple.html?ex=1118203200&en=9888f270f294ae27&ei=5070

Mr. Jobs, who left Apple in 1985 to found Next Inc., went through a similar transition when he moved his NextStep operating system from Motorola chips to Intel's x86 processors. When Mr. Jobs sold Next to Apple in 1997 and then returned to the company to lead its resurgence, he moved the operating system to the PowerPC. But it has been widely reported that the company has kept alive a small development project called Marklar that has developed an Intel-compatible version of the Macintosh operating system.

or is that where the word Marklar comes from?

b_sinning said:
Think it will help reduce the price some?

I think it should and will. Not as much as it could, because they will pocket some of the difference. I can only assume that they will design the chipsets and motherboards so that only Apple hardware will work with the OS.

smileynev said:
I think it should and will. Not as much as it could, because they will pocket some of the difference. I can only assume that they will design the chipsets and motherboards so that only Apple hardware will work with the OS.

That's shitty but probably true. If you could run linux on it easily it would sell great.

b_sinning said:
That's shitty but probably true. If you could run linux on it easily it would sell great.

You can run linux on current Apple hardware. The other thing, too, is that now Apple will be competing much more directly with their PC counterparts. The only quantifiable difference will be the OS and bundled apps. Of course, there are plenty of PCs in the $2000-$3000 dollar range.

smileynev said:
... Of course, there are plenty of PCs in the $2000-$3000 dollar range.

and they are only purchased by idiots...looks like apple will be instantly reconnected with it's target audience then :fly:

why_ask_why said:
and they are only purchased by idiots...looks like apple will be instantly reconnected with it's target audience then :fly:

Idiots and gamers and people who don't have the time or energy to put together high end workstations.

smileynev said:
You can run linux on current Apple hardware.
yes, but why would you want to? IIRC, MacOS is UNIX based anyway.... IMO, You wouldn't really gain anything by moving to Linux.
smileynev said:
The other thing, too, is that now Apple will be competing much more directly with their PC counterparts. The only quantifiable difference will be the OS and bundled apps. Of course, there are plenty of PCs in the $2000-$3000 dollar range.
That's a pretty steep price there, I think Apple's downfall will still be their pricing.