Windows 8 is out (Anyone wanna do a Technet group buy? -fly)

I really want to try the touch portion, as a desktop I agree. I was disappointed as a non touchscreen user.

Bingo. I run into that all the time. We change what something is called and the users revolt. They got really pissed when we updated transaction formats; they had to relearn everything. Users fear change.

As someone actively searching, the field your degree is in is less important if you have experience. Make sure you go to a real college though, my bachelor's in computer engineering from devry (reach for the sky) isn't worth the paper it's printed on. When I got my contract for the research institute, they had to hire me on as extra help instead of regular contract because as a university they don't recognize anything from devry. If I would've had a Bach from a real college my hourly would be $15 more. Sucks.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience yet, so the degree is necessary. The program I'm looking at is from a real college. Thanks for the insight.

Is this thread for only the TN buy or all general win 8 discussion?

I really want to pick up a tablet and with all the players releasing new stuff for Christmas the right time is approaching. I really like the hardware MS is using on their surface devices. They don't seem like a terrible buy for the monies either.

My main gripe with Android is the lack of well working office apps and I feel like if I were to use a tablet I would want to use it for "real" work at times. Editing documents and some light web work, maybe a remote console session or two. Not sure what the capabilities are. I see that winRT comes with some office apps and looks pretty slick, but I kinda like that the win8 pro surface device is a laptop in tablet form factor. My laptop needs are fulfilled at the moment so I'm thinking the surface RT is the better fit.

Anyone care to chime in? Is a surface device the same as throwing money away? I see the nexus 10 coming and can't help wonder if a 10" android tablet would be better.

I keep seeing these great Office style apps being shown in Samsung Galaxy tab commercials, but I have yet to see a worth while office productivity application for a tablet yet.

I think Tablets did a better job of selling themselves on a vaporware idea better than netbooks did. They are a platform that we were told we needed to have, but all the stuff we wanted to do on them we can't do on them.

I'm VERY happy I convinced the company to pony up for the iPad3 I have.

I keep seeing these great Office style apps being shown in Samsung Galaxy tab commercials, but I have yet to see a worth while office productivity application for a tablet yet.

I think Tablets did a better job of selling themselves on a vaporware idea better than netbooks did. They are a platform that we were told we needed to have, but all the stuff we wanted to do on them we can't do on them.

I'm VERY happy I convinced the company to pony up for the iPad3 I have.
That's my hangup. I like the s-pen and think the 10" galaxy note would be pretty slick. Not sold on actual usefulness though, seems like everything is proprietary so far.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Tablets have been going through evolution though, they are getting more applications and functionality every new generation. I'm looking at the surface pro device as what should've happened instead of netbooks and ultrabooks and where we ultimately want to be with form/function. I'm not sure I want to pay the premium though, which is why I'm leaning towards the RT version. I feel like the office suite being included is a major perk forcing me to consider surface.

Work gives me a laptop and 4g hotspot, they laughed at my request for a tablet. :(

Is this thread for only the TN buy or all general win 8 discussion?

I really want to pick up a tablet and with all the players releasing new stuff for Christmas the right time is approaching. I really like the hardware MS is using on their surface devices. They don't seem like a terrible buy for the monies either.

My main gripe with Android is the lack of well working office apps and I feel like if I were to use a tablet I would want to use it for "real" work at times. Editing documents and some light web work, maybe a remote console session or two. Not sure what the capabilities are. I see that winRT comes with some office apps and looks pretty slick, but I kinda like that the win8 pro surface device is a laptop in tablet form factor. My laptop needs are fulfilled at the moment so I'm thinking the surface RT is the better fit.

Anyone care to chime in? Is a surface device the same as throwing money away? I see the nexus 10 coming and can't help wonder if a 10" android tablet would be better.

Which office apps have you tried? I can't imagine they are that bad for some light editing...

Which office apps have you tried? I can't imagine they are that bad for some light editing...
I've tried them all, problem is the screen size. Quick office is my favorite but it's still a pita on a phone.

I know already I will be editing office docs so I figured native support would be nice. Plus it would be great if it would access my qnap nas. I has Android app, not sure if windows rt would need an app or if I could use the browser.

I've tried them all, problem is the screen size. Quick office is my favorite but it's still a pita on a phone.

I know already I will be editing office docs so I figured native support would be nice. Plus it would be great if it would access my qnap nas. I has Android app, not sure if windows rt would need an app or if I could use the browser.

So if the problem is screen size, it wouldn't be different on a Windows phone either... :wtf:

You complained about the Office software on an Android phone, no?
I did, and that's why I asked about windows RT.

Edit: I've used them on my wife's galaxy tab 7.7 in addition to on a phone. It's the app I'm not a fan of, not that it's phone/tab

Last edited: