Will someone explain those crazy Amish to me?

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
So there is a guy that works on my floor sa a co-op for software development.

The one wrinkle about this senerio is that he is either Amish or Menonite. The Amish don't allow use of electricity at all. The Menonites I think just lights and phones.

This guy works in an office building in front of a computer (the devil's instrument I thought) that is on the Internet (parish the thought) and walked into work today carrying his portable CD player (to listen to devil music no doubt).

He is getting a major in Computer Science apparently.

Does he suck at being Amish or do I suck and religions?

There is many different sects as in any religion. He's just in the laid back one. Does he have a beard?

Nope, no beard. Just spiky blond hair and glasses similar to Harry Potter (when he isn't wearing contacts, which again I thought they don't allow).

Maybe for their beliefs?

Some people don't believe in MMO, you know.

computers shouldn't get in the way of your beliefs. i just don't understand giving up electricity to get closer to god. forcing themselves into a situtation of discomfort is pointless.

computers shouldn't get in the way of your beliefs. i just don't understand giving up electricity to get closer to god. forcing themselves into a situtation of discomfort is pointless.

You know that, and I know that... but the hundreds of years of brainwashing doesn't know that.

well, i'm catholic, but i believe in birth control, for example. maybe this dude's selective in his beliefs with the faith.

I think the way it works is that at a certain age, you're allowed to go out into the world and experience stuff... and then you make the decision to be part of the Amish community or not.

wikipedia:

Baptism, rumspringa, and shunning
The Amish and other Anabaptists do not believe that a child can be meaningfully baptized; this is, in fact, reflected in the name Anabaptist (which means "rebaptizer", as the Anabaptists would baptize adults who had already been baptized as children). Amish children are expected to follow the will of their parents in all issues, but when they come of age, they are expected to make an adult, permanent commitment to the church.

Rumspringa (German/Deitsch, "running or jumping around") is the general term for adolescence and the period leading up to serious courtship during which rules may be relaxed a little. As in non-Amish families, it is understood as a practical matter that there will likely be a certain amount of misbehavior during this period, but it is neither encouraged nor overlooked. At the end of this period, Amish young adults are expected to find a spouse and be baptized. A small number choose not to join the church, but to live the rest of their lives in wider society. Some Amish communities will actively shun those who decide to leave the church after having been baptized, even those going to a different Amish congregation with different doctrines. Still other communities practice hardly any shunning, keeping close family and social contact with those who leave the church. Some communities have split in the last century over how they apply the practice of shunning, as in the case of Swartzetruber Amish who split from the wider Amish community over the strict-shunning issue. Shunning is also sometimes imposed by bishops on church members guilty of offenses such as using forbidden technology. Church members may also be called to confess before the congregation.