Whats fer dinna?

i mean, at 8 hrs/day.. that's 30 entire days.. paid.. dayum.

we pool sick time and pto together so no one can abuse sick time...I rarely ever get sick so it's all pto time essentially...I get 184 for the year but I'm carrying over 3 days from last year due to being short staffed(generally you get to carry nothing over) and I'll also pick up 3 more days during the summer because they let everyone go early on fridays but I have to stay

I hear you might get half days cause there aren't enough bus drivers...

I would love this. In Arizona, all kindergartens are going to be full day and that sucks. My 5 year old doesn't need to be in school 8 hours a day and then come home with homework.

I would love this. In Arizona, all kindergartens are going to be full day and that sucks. My 5 year old doesn't need to be in school 8 hours a day and then come home with homework.
in Nova Scotia there isn't Kindergarten. At 5 you start "Primary", which is full days at the elementary school. I don't recall homework though.

in Nova Scotia there isn't Kindergarten. At 5 you start "Primary", which is full days at the elementary school. I don't recall homework though.

Down here most of them go home with homework packets every week. And you'd think with that much time in a day you'd have plenty of time for some quality art/music/p.e., but no, they only get 30 min of ONE of those activities a day. I'm currently looking into charter schools over the public ones for my 4 year old. They are still full day, but I've only heard good things from people that attend charter schools.

Homework other than reading assignments is pointless. You should be able to teach a child in school and not let the book do a teachers job.
not at all, especially in middle and high school. the lesson is taught in class, but the students need to practice what they learned. that's what the homework is for.

not at all, especially in middle and high school. the lesson is taught in class, but the students need to practice what they learned. that's what the homework is for.

In middle school and high school it's one thing (as long as it's not excessive), but in kindergarten, the only homework they should have is reading for 15 min a night and stuff they didn't get done in class cause they were goofing off. It should continue that way (adding something like spelling lists, or multiplication practice) through most of elementary school. I have no problems with things like science projects and such being done at home and maybe writing a short paper for 4th-6th grade, but in my opinion it's getting ridiculous. Also, my kids will never sit down and do homework immediately upon getting home from school, they'll go outside and play, or have a friend over or something, we'll deal with the homework after they've unwound and gotten a little exercise.

i have too many opinions and too much experience to begin to type.

i am surprised your 5 y.o. is in school 8 hours though? class for 8 hours or does that include to and fro?

The school district she should be in goes from 8:30-3:45, so I guess just over 7 hours, but I still think that's way too much. I won't be putting her in that school district if I put her in public at all. There are a couple surrounding that have better ratings and seem to go 1/2 hour less.

I feel ya Kiwi... our kids have CLASSES from 840 to 240.. you are an extra hour.

best of luck. . best thing I can recommend is that they read EVERY night. so much of the math and science these days involves being able to decipher what the hell the question is asking.. i mean, the science tests are as much reading tests as anything.

unlike most of the peeps on this board, I'm NOT a tech head, but education is my bag if you ever have questions. (I'll take hip hop questions as well, but you said it sux, so.. Lmao)

peace.