Food UF Fart Group? - EAT YOUR PEAS

I was about to say, "or you can just tweak your Crock-Pot".
Yeah, I did a pork shoulder for pulled pork few weeks ago and even on low the crockpot gets to 185f after 6-7 hours. My electric roaster dials down nicely to 125, so with some water in it to moderate, that works better. But the roaster is so f'n huge.

Yeah, I did a pork shoulder for pulled pork few weeks ago and even on low the crockpot gets to 185f after 6-7 hours. My electric roaster dials down nicely to 125, so with some water in it to moderate, that works better. But the roaster is so f'n huge.

Could probably just rig a cord with the temp controller on it from an electric roaster or frying pan into the Crock-Pot. As long as it has some range of motion at low settings it's basically the same thing. Garage sale or thrift store. $5.

You can, and you'll get something close. I think one of the main problems is the lack of a pump giving you temperature continuity. IIRC, that's what @gee did though.
My "sans francs sous vide" is just a crock pot and a PID controller. The PID is now in a proper box with a relay and the crock pot is now a bigger one, but same shit really.

o125YF2.jpg

You don't need a pump. The crock pot heats the inner pot from all sides, and natural convection/thermal conductivity of the water are good enough to keep the temperature of the water bath uniform enough. Just make sure your food doesn't touch the bottom or sides of the pot, it's easy enough to prop up the food from underneath by laying a couple forks on their side or whatever on the bottom.

The original "sous vide supreme" machines (like I think @tre has) don't have a pump either.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie