Today is National Teacher Day

3rd is big.. it's the NCLB year, as well as the year you're expected to begin being a student, not a colorer.

first year of M.S. 6th grade/transition

junior's probably a good call.

lot of special diplomas and certificates of attendance being issued these days instead of regular HS diplomas.

God I hate what school has become. Jeez I only left 8 yrs ago (fuck why did I type that) and it's turned into a mess. It went from being a place of learning to a place where parents fight for their kids to NOT be taught certain subjects.

Yeah, compared to what school was like for me, I pretty much despise the education system as it is today.

School should be fucking tough. You should have to work hard for good grades. It's not a event to build up your self esteem, to not make you feel like an idiot because you can't keep up. It's a proving grounds. Those who try, and are graced with the ability, succeed. Those who don't have the wonders of blue collar to look forward to.

Seriously, cut out the new series of fighter jets from the military budget, throw the money into education, and toughen up the rules by telling parents 'Not our fault if you didn't raise your kid right. Make him do his fuckin homework instead of going out, drinking, knocking up miss mary rottencrotch, and playing nintendo, and he won't need a feel good certificate on being 'most attendance' runner up'.

I disagree. I took an entire semester that was all about shakespere. We had to read it, not in translated english, but in it's old english context. And translate it. Verbal analytical skills is a skill that I believe is far underated. Besides, not being a moron when someone speaks of MacBeth, Othello, First Night, Taming of the Shrew, or Hamlet doesn't suck.

The problem with governments nowadays is they seem to think everybody has the right to get a degree/whatever your equivalent so they've dumbed down everything so everybody can feel smart. Getting a degree in this country doesn't mean shit, atleast from where I'm stood, any idiot can get a peice of paper for some b.s degree. We used to have a two tiered system where you have universities where the smart people went to get real degrees like Medicine, Literature, Science etc. and then polytechnics where stupid people went. Nowadays they call everything a university and 'EVERYBODY' should be getting a degree, nobody has to work for jack shit anymore. This is why I'd definately want to send my kids to a private school, no way I'd subject them to a mediocre government run institute unless I had to

I disagree. I took an entire semester that was all about shakespere. We had to read it, not in translated english, but in it's old english context. And translate it. Verbal analytical skills is a skill that I believe is far underated. Besides, not being a moron when someone speaks of MacBeth, Othello, First Night, Taming of the Shrew, or Hamlet doesn't suck.

That's nice for you, but it is truly worthless to me.

That's how it is here too. Anyone can get a degree.

I had a class with a guy that graduated last month. To describe him would be to say he was like John Coffey from Green Mile without the special powers.

He had speech issues, learning issues, and got a degree that I am working on.

If he were to apply for a job that I was appying for in todays market, they may consider him because he will take a lowball offer and I will be jobless in esscence.