This makes me angry

You mean you of all people can't google the answer? btw, where do you stand on religion? You always just seem to play devils advocate, you argumentative bitch.
This actually made me think of an idea for a new thread. There is a specific word for my religious stance or lack thereof. There are also about 250 terms for such stances in English. Good luck.

~snip~
That right there is a big reason (the main reason imo) they won't allow gay marriage. And why people try to side step talking about it (decoy reasons, not real reasons) like their tongue might crumble and fall off if they do.
~snip~
Not to undermine your point just cutting it down to what I'm responding to.

You know... straight people can have AIDS as well.

@both of you

I was talking about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug_chasers

You know... straight people can have AIDS as well.

Yeah, they can and do .. a lot more now than they used to. But it is predominately a homosexual disease .. due to lack of protection (condoms were made for vaginal intercourse, not anal. Or so says the back of the condom pack).

It's also due to lack of testing and unprotected sex.

Have you read fly's signature lately? It's pretty much hitting the target.

Religion does not make the world good. Nor does it make people good people. Yes it does have it's redeeming qualities with the amount of charity work that religion provides, but it has caused more strife, wars, sexually suppressed priests more than anything I can think of.

I'm rambling.

No its right on, but im talking about general people, not people who are taking advantage of the situation which are specifically what the quote is talking about. When you get down to it, men do things to impress women, however that dosn't cover everything that can happen in life, like "why did so and so have to die so suddenly" If there wasn't a belief that there is some type of force guiding it all, and it wasn't just chance then a pretty large amount of people would lose hope on life, and basically waste it, or kill themselves immediately.

Religion also serves the common human belief that they will always exist. With Christianity there is a heaven you'll stay in forever. In Buddhism there is a Nirvana but you only stay the amount of Karma you have built up in life. Either way you still exist. I would imagine the amount of people who are seriously ok with the possibility of simply not existing at all at death is very small.

Is it just me, or does Buddism seem to be the new black this year.

Nope, thats Kaballah still. Like I said before, I still consider myself Christian but personally Buddhism's philosophy has helped me enjoy life much more. Im reading up and checking it, and I've gone to a temple a few times with a friend to learn more out but its unlikely I will say im Buddhist ever. If you really get down to it, I think Buddhism and Psychology has a lot in common, and I enjoy both.

No its right on, but im talking about general people, not people who are taking advantage of the situation which are specifically what the quote is talking about. When you get down to it, men do things to impress women, however that dosn't cover everything that can happen in life, like "why did so and so have to die so suddenly" If there wasn't a belief that there is some type of force guiding it all, and it wasn't just chance then a pretty large amount of people would lose hope on life, and basically waste it, or kill themselves immediately.

Religion also serves the common human belief that they will always exist. With Christianity there is a heaven you'll stay in forever. In Buddhism there is a Nirvana but you only stay the amount of Karma you have built up in life. Either way you still exist. I would imagine the amount of people who are seriously ok with the possibility of simply not existing at all at death is very small.
And you and your small bands are the ones such enlightened of nothingness... Yes that is incredibly ego inducing no? Only the smart people know there is nothing better, and it's just the weak who need religion.

I'm not even going to argue the basic flaws of such a view. Though it could be pointed out that clinging to a philosophy of nothingness itself is a religion. Let's keep in mind that religion is not the belief in some THING, but just the belief in something. Nihilism, or something similar, has been one half the philosophy of existence since philosophy was figured out. There always have been the people who found it easier to believe in nothing than something. It's not particularly new, or unique, and it has the same fervently clinging masses as the religions who believe in some THING. The fact is, it is still a belief since it cant be proved, and is a religion in essence.

Nirvana btw, is not even close to an analouge of Heaven. It is well beyond the scope of this to explain, and isnt even explained in particular in Buddhism. You don't "exist" per se though in the manner of western philosophy. "Nirodha", is a huge part of it, which is "cessation." Lack of self, the end of ends.

Last edited:

That's not entirely true. In America the amount of non-religious people are growing. There are more atheists than ever and it does not seem that prevalent because of the fact that society deems atheists or agnostics as a negative evil. As if they were satan worshipers. This in turn causes people to not voice their non-belief in religious faiths. Its practically looked at like homosexuality.

Personally, I am perfectly content knowing that when I die that I do not serve a greater purpose. I will no longer exist. I become nothing. I do not feel humans are divine creatures that serve a greater good, but that we are a... actually I do not know what we are and I'm fine with that as well.

Oops I'm rambling again. I took this far too into religion than I should have. :hs:

Citation: http://www.religioustolerance.org/atheist5.htm

And you and your small bands are the ones such enlightened of nothingness... Yes that is incredibly ego inducing no? Only the smart people know there is nothing better, and it's just the weak who need religion.

I'm not even going to argue the basic flaws of such a view. Though it could be pointed out that clinging to a philosophy of nothingness itself is a religion. Let's keep in mind that religion is not the belief in some THING, but just the belief in something. Nihilism, or something similar, has been one half the philosophy of existence since philosophy was figured out. There always have been the people who found it easier to believe in nothing than something. It's not particularly new, or unique, and it has the same fervently clinging masses as the religions who believe in some THING. The fact is, it is still a belief since it cant be proved, and is a religion in essence.

I wasn't trying to say that at all, All I'm just trying to say is that there is a need for religion for most people if just for the will to go on with life, yet there are some people who are just fine and will still live life to the fullest without it and yet in the end they all expect the same thing.

AND

There are gay people who go around intentionally infecting others with AIDS. Does this mean everyone assumes db does this? No, not quite. Apparently he cant even be called on to explain it. I don't see why you could expect the "religious freaks" on this forum to explain the behaviour of some person you knew simply because they professed the same general faith. It's an ignorant expectation, and not something that someone even expects you to do.

wtf does this have to do with anything?

Read my opening post. I never immediately asked anyone to justify the actions of others. I was merely ranting about how ridiculous Brownhouse is.

Sorry, db - your penchant for penis has gotten you all wrapped up in this thread and that was not the intent. :heart:

i am very curious about the hypocrite thing. why can't people pick and choose what they want to believe? why does that make someone a hypocrite?
i believe that there are numerous religions on this planet so that the variety of humans who live here can find something most appropriate and comfortable for them to lead a better life. do i think one religion is better than another? no. if someone finds a system that helps them lead a better life and a more comfortable one, than why not be part of it?
i am a cafeteria catholic, and it bothers me none that i am that way. i see no problem in picking and choosing what i want to believe. if it helps structure my life, where's the problem? why does it have to have to be all or nothing?

i am very curious about the hypocrite thing. why can't people pick and choose what they want to believe? why does that make someone a hypocrite?
i believe that there are numerous religions on this planet so that the variety of humans who live here can find something most appropriate and comfortable for them to lead a better life. do i think one religion is better than another? no. if someone finds a system that helps them lead a better life and a more comfortable one, than why not be part of it?
i am a cafeteria catholic, and it bothers me none that i am that way. i see no problem in picking and choosing what i want to believe. if it helps structure my life, where's the problem? why does it have to have to be all or nothing?

A religion that professes belief in the Bible but grabs what it wants, discards what it doesn't to appease individuals is hypocritical.

so that makes the religion hypocritical, not the individual. i'm referring to individuals.

So an individual that professes belief in something completely hypocritical, follows it's teachings, even going so far as to promote them is not a hypocrite?

So an individual that professes belief in something completely hypocritical, follows it's teachings, even going so far as to promote them is not a hypocrite?

Actually, that kinda makes them diluted. Sometimes people want to believe in something so bad, they don't see the bad in it. Usually, not until its too late. Sometimes never.

nononono. i'm assuming that the religion itself is not hypocritical. i'm not assuming what you stated earlier as truth.
i'm questioning the assumption that a person who chooses certain things from a religion is a hypocrite.

nononono. i'm assuming that the religion itself is not hypocritical. i'm not assuming what you stated earlier as truth.
i'm questioning the assumption that a person who chooses certain things from a religion is a hypocrite.

So basically a new religion?