FYI Then there's this....

it's not really hr, they just enforce policies. The management culture of we'll do more stuff, with less people, until quality suffers to the point people are leaving like rats on a sinking ship is probably the driving force.
Not always, HR develops pay bands for each position so if you want more money outside of the pay band then find another job.

Not always, HR develops pay bands for each position so if you want more money outside of the pay band then find another job.

whats odd is when i come back they'll offer pay well above HR's set "paybands" if negotiated correctly. they'll also give me 2 extra weeks of vacation a year. pretty much proof the paybands are set artificially low to screw existing employees.

whats odd is when i come back they'll offer pay well above HR's set "paybands" if negotiated correctly. they'll also give me 2 extra weeks of vacation a year. pretty much proof the paybands are set artificially low to screw existing employees.

Of course. Pay bands are there to save the company money... to use as an excuse for not giving a better raise.

Pay grades have always worked well for me. No one can make you do stuff outside your grade/title so there is none of the responsibility creep like with nebulous salaried contracts, they either have to move you up or cope. Clear expectations ftw.

Last edited:
Pay grades have always worked well for me. No one can make you do stuff outside your grade/title so there is none of the responsibility creep like with nebulous salaried contracts, they either have to move you up or cope. Clear expectations ftw.

Yeah, not how it works in most places.

Yeah, not how it works in most places.
Define most -.-

It's pretty different for everyone. One of my brothers used to work in a shop, with "book time." You get a work order for XXX, they pay you hourly rate multiplied by book time regardless of the amount of real world time spent working, you also don't get paid if there are no work orders. That seems insane to me but it's how "most" places operate apparently.

I'm thinking of applying for jobs on the next pay band up just because people in my office for the most part are cunts. My only issue is what if I end up in a worse office with even worse people and I can't even post on UF from where my desk is positioned?

Sure they do.

I'm thinking of applying for jobs on the next pay band up just because people in my office for the most part are cunts. My only issue is what if I end up in a worse office with even worse people and I can't even post on UF from where my desk is positioned?
You may have to wash your hair first to get the next pay band up. :fly:

If your job description includes the phrase "and other duties as required" , youll be doing whatever the hell they ask you to.
Unless youre in a union.

To clarify: This was on the email I got on Monday for the actual promotion. So it would be 12 months from whenever that went into effect, the last 8 months I've been working for them basically just don't count.

yeah. They're just fucking with you and dangling a carrot hoping it will be enough to make you stick around. They know they are fucking you, and just trying to squeeze as much time out of you as possible before you go.

If your job description includes the phrase "and other duties as required" , youll be doing whatever the hell they ask you to.
Unless youre in a union.

You just gotta push back on that stuff and then it all gets dumped on your sucker of a counter part who does anything.

Meanwhile his performance goes to shit because hes too busy doing other peoples jobs, and the metrics used to rate us show it so my work looks steller in the eyes of hr, management, and the people who I actually deal with, meanwhile he gets shit raises and is a big hit with the worthless guys in our office who are able to dump responsibilities off on him.

Gosh, it's like you have to bend over backwards to get a raise around here.

zpYiJ.jpg