water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
A while back I made this thread:

So I kinda got promoted

Yeah, I still haven't gotten an official title change or raise.

On Monday I finally complained up the chain and briefly hinted that going back to my old job really wouldn't be all that terrible because the work I'm doing isn't worth the meager pay I get. Amazingly, later that day I got an email saying that my promotion was being officially processed, that's the good news. The bad news is that the proposed salary is BARELY above what I'm currently making (at my old job rate). So "barely over" in fact that the yearly increase that I should've gotten in December for my usual "above average employee" review (which I still haven't received) would've made the difference too small to even talk about.

At this point I think my only option is to move on to somewhere else. I just don't think that this company is ever going to pay me what I'm actually worth.

Thoughts? Impressions? Should I burn the building down?

The best part is your manager specified it was on a 12 month try out and you had to work towards meeting all the requirements for the job title by the end, for the pay raise that like you said is only 1% above what you should have gotten in December and still haven't seen.

I was in the exact same boat at my last job.
I quit and went someplace else and they couldnt understand why.
They were dumb and Im better off for it now.
Start the job hunt, its about all you can do when theyre that thick.

I just don't think that this company is ever going to pay me what I'm actually worth.

Thoughts? Impressions? Should I burn the building down?
No one will ever pay you what you are worth if you work for someone else. The disparity between money out and money in is called profit. Also they will probably fuck you on the review, that way they can withhold the year end increase and still make bank without increasing costs.

Fire is fun.

Last edited:
do like tsrh

I was in the exact same boat at my last job.
I quit and went someplace else and they couldnt understand why.
They were dumb and Im better off for it now.
Start the job hunt, its about all you can do when theyre that thick.

& when you find your new job, you only give the requisite 2 wk notice of "To pursue personal and professional objectives I hearby tender my resignation. My last day will be _________."

Last edited:
The best part is your manager specified it was on a 12 month try out and you had to work towards meeting all the requirements for the job title by the end, for the pay raise that like you said is only 1% above what you should have gotten in December and still haven't seen.

To clarify: This was on the email I got on Monday for the actual promotion. So it would be 12 months from whenever that went into effect, the last 8 months I've been working for them basically just don't count.

I had to threaten to leave to get a raise. If you like the company, you might have to do it this way. Just make sure you can actually leave before you do.

I would leave ASAP. The only way to really get a true raise in IT is to move companies. Sometimes you can luck out if you completely switch roles within a company (i.e. going from operations to sales etc) but that is still very rare. Once they have you in the system there isn't much you can do for increase other than leaving.

I would leave ASAP. The only way to really get a true raise in IT is to move companies. Sometimes you can luck out if you completely switch roles within a company (i.e. going from operations to sales etc) but that is still very rare. Once they have you in the system there isn't much you can do for increase other than leaving.

any company.

remember in braveheart the guy that says "the almighty says he can save me, but im pretty sure you're fucked." holds true for the job place, only real way to get a raise is quit and come back. HR otherwise has that shit locked down.

another reason HR is retarded...

This.

I've got a company that wants someone out west, but I don't think the pay is going to be worth it. Still, I will be pursuing it shortly. Emails will be going out this weekend.

any company.

remember in braveheart the guy that says "the almighty says he can save me, but im pretty sure you're fucked." holds true for the job place, only real way to get a raise is quit and come back. HR otherwise has that shit locked down.

another reason HR is retarded...
it's not really always hr, they just enforce policies. The management culture of we'll do more stuff, with less people, until quality suffers to the point people are leaving like rats on a sinking ship is probably the driving force.

Last edited:
This.

I've got a company that wants someone out west, but I don't think the pay is going to be worth it. Still, I will be pursuing it shortly. Emails will be going out this weekend.

But if you and I leave who will Vern and Ken blame everything on???

Yeah, I'm starting to realize this. I really had high hopes last year when the opportunity came back. I honestly thought they were going to take care of me and the pay would be high enough to keep me around another 5 years, obviously that isn't the case.