Ontopic The Shooting Thread

An unfortunate result of Covid lock downs being lifted will be mass shootings becoming frequent again.

An unfortunate result of Covid lock downs being lifted will be mass shootings becoming frequent again.

In a way this makes a lot of sense, like the psychology of being stuck at home all the time as well as physically not having many places to go. In another way I'm not too sure how much someone hellbent on going on some murderous and half the time suicidal rampage is concerned about covid?

No there hasn't been (as many depending on where you are) schools full of kids to shoot or sports arenas full of people to bomb but there's still plenty of grocery stores, home depots, and Wal-Mart's full of victims if one was so inclined.

In a way this makes a lot of sense, like the psychology of being stuck at home all the time as well as physically not having many places to go. In another way I'm not too sure how much someone hellbent on going on some murderous and half the time suicidal rampage is concerned about covid?

No there hasn't been (as many depending on where you are) schools full of kids to shoot or sports arenas full of people to bomb but there's still plenty of grocery stores, home depots, and Wal-Mart's full of victims if one was so inclined.

The last few have been at stores but that's a low body count because people aren't really crowded together in a store like they are in a movie theater, night club or classroom.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
The last few have been at stores but that's a low body count because people aren't really crowded together in a store like they are in a movie theater, night club or classroom.
Good point.

Somewhat related, or not, it's a little weird what you can get away walking into a hospital with.
Been visiting the wife up there the last couple hours (some kind of osis or itis but she'll be ok) and brought her little fireproof safe with me for her to get some things out of/put some things into. It's a little smaller than a briefcase rectangularly but much thicker, and heavy enough someone who was paying attention could tell you were carrying something heavy for its size. Not to mention I set it down on the table with a rather obvious thud when the girl had me do the temperature thing, sanitize my hands, and put on one of their masks.
In this case it was just prescriptions, money, id's, sensitive papers, etc. but could've just as easily been a brace of pistols and some extra goodies...or a smallish bomb.
Waltzed right in no questions asked, same on the way out, not so much as a raised eyebrow or funny look, not even from the cops parked next to the entrance.
Granted I am pretty charming so maybe every single person I crossed paths with was just smitten but if it were me, watching someone else, I would've at least made an offhand comment or did something the person had to react to so I could judge whether it was a regular person reaction or a that guy's up to something reaction.

Good point.

Somewhat related, or not, it's a little weird what you can get away walking into a hospital with.
Been visiting the wife up there the last couple hours (some kind of osis or itis but she'll be ok) and brought her little fireproof safe with me for her to get some things out of/put some things into. It's a little smaller than a briefcase rectangularly but much thicker, and heavy enough someone who was paying attention could tell you were carrying something heavy for its size. Not to mention I set it down on the table with a rather obvious thud when the girl had me do the temperature thing, sanitize my hands, and put on one of their masks.
In this case it was just prescriptions, money, id's, sensitive papers, etc. but could've just as easily been a brace of pistols and some extra goodies...or a smallish bomb.
Waltzed right in no questions asked, same on the way out, not so much as a raised eyebrow or funny look, not even from the cops parked next to the entrance.
Granted I am pretty charming so maybe every single person I crossed paths with was just smitten but if it were me, watching someone else, I would've at least made an offhand comment or did something the person had to react to so I could judge whether it was a regular person reaction or a that guy's up to something reaction.

Who could think anything negative about you, Hips?
Suspicious metal box in tow or not.

idk - maybe an epidemic sort of takes the wind out of their sails? Like, how can they compete with something killing hundreds per day in a big city? Or, does it distract them? Like normally they hyperfocus on people around them but now they feel actively threatened by a real but different "enemy" where they can't plan, stalk, etc.
I'm thinking most of those mass killings are somewhat planned over days as the perp keeps, apparently, replaying the shit in their head. The workplace blowups usually didn't happen over one event. Shit had been building for a while - at least in one person's head. So yeah, I think covid could have interrupted some killing patterns. Certain types of crime are down.:iono:

Nobody's an atheist in a foxhole.:lol:

• Gravy
idk - maybe an epidemic sort of takes the wind out of their sails? Like, how can they compete with something killing hundreds per day in a big city? Or, does it distract them? Like normally they hyperfocus on people around them but now they feel actively threatened by a real but different "enemy" where they can't plan, stalk, etc.
I'm thinking most of those mass killings are somewhat planned over days as the perp keeps, apparently, replaying the shit in their head. The workplace blowups usually didn't happen over one event. Shit had been building for a while - at least in one person's head. So yeah, I think covid could have interrupted some killing patterns. Certain types of crime are down.:iono:

Nobody's an atheist in a foxhole.:lol:
Also good observation, Eddie. What's weird to me is it seems like a good portion of the people that do these things just bought the gun a few days prior. Not all by any stretch but enough to make you wonder. Like somebody snaps, goes and buys a gun, and tries to kill a bunch of people with it a few days later. Millions of people in this country have guns since they were teens at least and we'd never consider doing such a thing, even though we'd be much better at it. Some of these folks don't seem to really know what they're doing, kinda.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Also good observation, Eddie. What's weird to me is it seems like a good portion of the people that do these things just bought the gun a few days prior. Not all by any stretch but enough to make you wonder. Like somebody snaps, goes and buys a gun, and tries to kill a bunch of people with it a few days later. Millions of people in this country have guns since they were teens at least and we'd never consider doing such a thing, even though we'd be much better at it. Some of these folks don't seem to really know what they're doing, kinda.
They were stewing. THey knew they could get a gun. They just weren't "there" yet.
I've had guns for about 40 years. Haven't shot anyone, held one asshole at point on my property. I find less violent ways to fuck with people :) Yeah, the potential is horrific. It really IS scary that we can have that. But like a low velocity hammer, it's not a bad deal if pointed the right direction. Cars can be used pretty violently too. Don't see a lot of that. Should we be worried about @Jehannum , he has a LOT of high powered vehicles? Police pursuit would be awesome - assuming he can drive :)

• Haha
They were stewing. THey knew they could get a gun. They just weren't "there" yet.
I've had guns for about 40 years. Haven't shot anyone, held one asshole at point on my property. I find less violent ways to fuck with people :) Yeah, the potential is horrific. It really IS scary that we can have that. But like a low velocity hammer, it's not a bad deal if pointed the right direction. Cars can be used pretty violently too. Don't see a lot of that. Should we be worried about @Jehannum , he has a LOT of high powered vehicles? Police pursuit would be awesome - assuming he can drive :)
He'd be damn dangerous if he could manage to get them put together and running.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
He'd be damn dangerous if he could manage to get them put together and running.
I knew I could count on you. I was slightly serious about the driving. Some people who are good wrenchers aren't good drivers. Or is it just Hollywood, perpetuating the legend of the unsung mechanic behind the speeding hero?
Fine, we can have both :)

I knew I could count on you. I was slightly serious about the driving. Some people who are good wrenchers aren't good drivers. Or is it just Hollywood, perpetuating the legend of the unsung mechanic behind the speeding hero?
Fine, we can have both :)
I got a feeling he can drive pretty damn good. Got all that high power racecar shit and so far isn't wrenching the dents out of them. Unless he just leaves that part out.

I got a feeling he can drive pretty damn good. Got all that high power racecar shit and so far isn't wrenching the dents out of them. Unless he just leaves that part out.
I mostly just drive 'em to the autocross, but there haven't been any autocrosses to speak of since the dang ol' COVIDs.

I also wonder exactly what y'all think "high power" is, when my high-po shitboxes are about the equivalent of a low-line Corvette without any of the nanny-state bullshit.

Too bad they didn’t have any hard wired phones anywhere in the building.

I’m gonna be judgy for a second. “Ruminating Thot” looks like a pussy who wants to whine about something and he chose this.

I’ve recently thought a little about how I’d handle cell phone usage at work when I was in charge of people. When I had jobs that were of the supervisory type, nobody had a cell phone.

FedEx obviously just figured a “no phone” policy was easiest to implement and enforce, as opposed to a demerit system if you’re spending time on the phone. I know that’s a foreign concept on most jobs, but many of the jobs I had would never had allowed cell phone use while at work. Not to mention hanging out on Internet forums etc.

• Gravy
Too bad they didn’t have any hard wired phones anywhere in the building.

I’m gonna be judgy for a second. “Ruminating Thot” looks like a pussy who wants to whine about something and he chose this.

I’ve recently thought a little about how I’d handle cell phone usage at work when I was in charge of people. When I had jobs that were of the supervisory type, nobody had a cell phone.

FedEx obviously just figured a “no phone” policy was easiest to implement and enforce, as opposed to a demerit system if you’re spending time on the phone. I know that’s a foreign concept on most jobs, but many of the jobs I had would never had allowed cell phone use while at work. Not to mention hanging out on Internet forums etc.

This.
Regular telephones do exist. Every business has several of them. That's some butthole trying to leverage something awful so they can fuck around on facetwit on the clock.

Y'know, if I'm in an active shooter situation and I don't have my phone, but I do have a nice safe place of cover where the shooter can't see me I'm not going to leave that place and go (potentially) all the way across the floor of the warehouse so I can call the cops. I'm going to search for even better coverage.

Last three warehouses I was in where active business was going on, the only hard line phones were in offices. There weren't any on the floor, and there was no way to stealthily get into the offices from way back in the stacks.

C'mon guys.