Ontopic The Shooting Thread

Y'know, if I'm in an active shooter situation and I don't have my phone, but I do have a nice safe place of cover where the shooter can't see me I'm not going to leave that place and go (potentially) all the way across the floor of the warehouse so I can call the cops. I'm going to search for even better coverage.

Last three warehouses I was in where active business was going on, the only hard line phones were in offices. There weren't any on the floor, and there was no way to stealthily get into the offices from way back in the stacks.

C'mon guys.
Any warehouse or large facility type place I've worked in (several) has at minimum phones at the will call counter and at whatever place pulled orders get taken to be put together for shipping out. Add to that if the place is big enough everyone isn't within yelling earshot of each other people got radios/walkietalkies too. That's in addition to all the comms in the offices and PA/loudspeakers aren't uncommon either.

The chances of getting wrapped up in a shooting in a place like that, while technically is a "chance", fall somewhere between getting struck by lightening and suffering a shark attack in Kansas.
That's no excuse for everyone to be tweeting when they should be working and paying attention to what the hell they're doing.

Talk about an edge case, jeez.

Too bad they didn’t have any hard wired phones anywhere in the building.

I’m gonna be judgy for a second. “Ruminating Thot” looks like a pussy who wants to whine about something and he chose this.

I’ve recently thought a little about how I’d handle cell phone usage at work when I was in charge of people. When I had jobs that were of the supervisory type, nobody had a cell phone.

FedEx obviously just figured a “no phone” policy was easiest to implement and enforce, as opposed to a demerit system if you’re spending time on the phone. I know that’s a foreign concept on most jobs, but many of the jobs I had would never had allowed cell phone use while at work. Not to mention hanging out on Internet forums etc.

I've never been in charge of a big place or lots of people and hope I never am. Just our little jobs with a couple/few guys. Yup, we're there to work not play on phones. That said I also realize people have a life outside of work and I got no problem with somebody taking a minute or two to return a text or take a call from their wife or their kid or their kids school or their lawyer or their undertaker or whatever. That is a far cry different than fucking around on the phone for entertainment or because they feel an insatiable need to share their posthole or their concrete form or their lunch taco with the world at large.

Yes I realize that more loose, personal way of doing things wouldn't work if I was trying to run 50 motherfuckers.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Any warehouse or large facility type place I've worked in (several) has at minimum phones at the will call counter and at whatever place pulled orders get taken to be put together for shipping out. Add to that if the place is big enough everyone isn't within yelling earshot of each other people got radios/walkietalkies too. That's in addition to all the comms in the offices and PA/loudspeakers aren't uncommon either.

The chances of getting wrapped up in a shooting in a place like that, while technically is a "chance", fall somewhere between getting struck by lightening and suffering a shark attack in Kansas.
That's no excuse for everyone to be tweeting when they should be working and paying attention to what the hell they're doing.

Talk about an edge case, jeez.
Sorry, are we talking about a real-world example here, or an edge case? Cause, as usual, you're switching between them whenever fits your narrative.

If we're talking some hypothetical world where there's never been an attack in a warehouse, or similar building, then great we'll follow your idea.

Or, if we're talking a world where shit happens where people work, maybe they should have phones so they can call for help. Or hell, maybe they should have phones cause they're fucking adults and they know the consequences of being on the phone at work. Personal responsibility is a big thing for you, isn't it?
And for a bonus, a different kind of attack

• Gravy
Mr. Asa you're a guy with an analytical rational mind. How about we look at injuries and deaths as a result of distracted workers or workers just not paying attention (as they would be if allowed free use of their smartphones) vs. injuries and deaths in the workplace as a result of shootings.

My money is on more people getting injured or dying as a result of somebody dropping a box, or a pallet full of them, on somebody else's head than people getting injured or dying as a result of some psycho coming in the place guns blazing.

The numbers just plain don't work out.

I'm not going to sit here and get in some link war to prove it, you can look that shit up for yourself.

Hint: common sense wins

• Gravy
A lot of companies have no cell phone policies. That place in Indianapolis is a huge facility. I find it hard to believe that FedEx facility did not have phones at various places around the facility for employees to use in case of emergency, to get a hold of supervisors, and so on. Not just office phones. I would also be willing to bet there were people in the facility that had cordless in house phones on them such as supervisors, maintenance personnel, and others.

No cell phone is a hard policy but many places have. I worked at a JC Penny part-time for a few weeks when re-entering the job market 5 year ago. During a morning meeting they apparently had someone calling cell phones - then they called out the first kid who had theirs on and pretended they were going to fire him. They quickly told him it was a "joke" because he was about to ball. I think the shitters a safe place to play with cell phone. Maybe once every 2-3 hours, for 5 minutes.
I'm with all who say there HAD to be some site phones, for when someone needs to call that department, etc. I also find it hard to believe nobody broke the phone rule. Although, they'd get fired for calling the cops I suppose. It happened quickly - maybe 60 seconds of mayhem and then it was over. Some poor MF died with their arm up, looking for a signal.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Phones cost money, logistics companies are all about soul-crushing efficiency: the only phones are in offices, not on the floor.

Speaking from experience. I've worked in a place where they were supposed to be left in your car but most managers had an explicit "if you can get it past the metal detectors and you want to listen to music it's fine, just don't be fucking off on it" policy and it wasn't a problem.

Let adults have their phones. If certain people can't manage that well, that's management's problem to deal with. Funny that the "it's only the bad folk with deadly weapons that are a problem" posters are the ones acting like phones are a complete no-no. Get that capitalist poison out your minds.

• Gravy
Phones cost money, logistics companies are all about soul-crushing efficiency: the only phones are in offices, not on the floor.

Speaking from experience. I've worked in a place where they were supposed to be left in your car but most managers had an explicit "if you can get it past the metal detectors and you want to listen to music it's fine, just don't be fucking off on it" policy and it wasn't a problem.

Let adults have their phones. If certain people can't manage that well, that's management's problem to deal with. Funny that the "it's only the bad folk with deadly weapons that are a problem" posters are the ones acting like phones are a complete no-no. Get that capitalist poison out your minds.
I agree adults should be able to handle not playing with their phone yet having it on them. I find it hard to believe there would be no phones but admittedly they might be a long way away. Workers on the floor are probably looking at a screen or otherwise staying connected to the Fedex collective?
Fuck Fedex? - oh yeah. I never ship with those numbnuts.

Sorry, are we talking about a real-world example here, or an edge case? Cause, as usual, you're switching between them whenever fits your narrative.

If we're talking some hypothetical world where there's never been an attack in a warehouse, or similar building, then great we'll follow your idea.

Or, if we're talking a world where shit happens where people work, maybe they should have phones so they can call for help. Or hell, maybe they should have phones cause they're fucking adults and they know the consequences of being on the phone at work. Personal responsibility is a big thing for you, isn't it?
And for a bonus, a different kind of attack
The Tallahassee one is fucked up(well, they ALL are) - the one dude who got stabbed was there for a job interview. Damn!

I agree adults should be able to handle not playing with their phone yet having it on them. I find it hard to believe there would be no phones but admittedly they might be a long way away. Workers on the floor are probably looking at a screen or otherwise staying connected to the Fedex collective?
Fuck Fedex? - oh yeah. I never ship with those numbnuts.
Believe it. Phones are in the offices a football field or two away through a maze of belts, catwalks, machinery, and equipment. It is not easy to get from place to place inside one of those buildings. The workers' job is moving packages: any screen or communication device they have is to communicate what package is where or tell them where to put the package in their hands and nothing more.

Can't speak to FedEx specifically, but the incredible volume that gets moved through logistics companies is accomplished by strict single-task-focused division of labor. FedEx is even more anti-worker than my experience. You can't just guess at what it's like in one of those hellholes.

• Gravy
My brother in law worked for UPS in the warehouse years ago, before smart phones. And even then he said they want total focus. All praise and reward is heaped on how many packages you have handled, daily, weekly, monthly and yearly.
If you ever get a package that looks like it's been thrown scores of times, it's because they all have. Speed is the absolute most important thing. You can write anything you want on a box (fragile, handle with care, do not drop, do not stack, do not tumble) but if they are given time to read anything it's only the company's own labels and for the most part they'll do whatever gets the box where it's going in the quickest manner possible.

Management simply doesn't care as long as they hit their numbers. Any other instruction for handling packages only exist to make everything the worker's fault, if necessary. So many people touch a package that it's near impossible to hold any one accountable. Every undamaged item is a minor miracle which mostly depends on how well it's packaged.

Pretty much the only time a package is treated with some semblance of care is from the truck to the delivery point.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
It would be great if all these places had hard wired phones located conveniently but they don’t. It’s also likely that with the advent of cell phones, they likely removed or never installed as many phones as they could’ve.

I’ve worked at several large ass places over the years. I can think of a few that were several stories tall factories with no phones at all on several floors. Period. One gal got stabbed outside of the building by an ex. The nearest phone was fifty feet away.

The way the argument is here, someone will say the phone needed to be closer. I know that’s not nice,but that’s where this discussion is right now.

Maybe this will cause change. If it means enough to you, start a petition. Something. The Triangle fire caused a lot of laws to be changed or regulations created to prevent such an event from happening, but people hav still died from workplace fires since then.

And it is an “edge” case. How many factories and warehouses were open and operating that day where nothing happened?

• Gravy
I remember one of my drivers calling the warehouse mid-day to say his truck had been stolen.

Well, joke was on him. He was going to the gym for an hour a day on top of his allotted break times and I chose to move his truck as a way to inform him that he’d been caught. Another supervisor would’ve just canned him. He was a good boy after that.

Sometimes, “adult” isn’t always evident by what day and year they were born.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon and HipHugHer