Ontopic The Shooting Thread

I have to ask, and you guys are in the know...

Why is Columbine considered the “first school shooting”, which I heard the other day, or why is it the “benchmark” school shooting and the rest are measured by that?

We had a school shooting here resulting in multiple deaths and injuries a year earlier.

I was gonna say nobody would fall off a roof if we didn't have roofs but that sounded downright mean.

For the record, in case it gets brought up later or is confused with someone else, I fell from a rack system, third tier, inside a warehouse and landed standing.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I have to ask, and you guys are in the know...

Why is Columbine considered the “first school shooting”, which I heard the other day, or why is it the “benchmark” school shooting and the rest are measured by that?

We had a school shooting here resulting in multiple deaths and injuries a year earlier.

It wasn't the first but I think it was the first that got huge sensation nation wide media coverage where 24 hour cable news kept running the story.
I don't think another shooting got that much attention probably since Whitman at the UT tower here in the 60's.

Would they need “armed” protection if there were no guns, period?
No way to eliminate guns in an industrial society. I'm guessing at least 5 people here have the skills to make one, if they set their mind to it.

Fun fact - that pile of manure Amstel referenced in the other thread would be a good starting point for making/collecting salt peter for making gunpowder. Lots of piss would be helpful too.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
No way to eliminate guns in an industrial society. I'm guessing at least 5 people here have the skills to make one, if they set their mind to it.

Fun fact - that pile of manure Amstel referenced in the other thread would be a good starting point for making/collecting salt peter for making gunpowder. Lots of piss would be helpful too.

I know. They’ll never go away.

Would lengthy imprisonments be a deterrent? Like 10 years first offense?

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Guns are engrained in the US mindset. They’re not going anywhere. As a collective, which we barely are anymore, the US is far to stubborn and ignorant to give up their guns.

I'm just so thankful for our students who lay down their lives to protect our 2nd amendment rights.

I saw some footage of some real young kids being met by their parents, and they were clearly traumatized.

This is going to have an effect for lifetimes.