Ontopic The new car-seching thread

View attachment 15210

Fuck yeah I can weld. Got the machine and settings and shit dialed in.

Flip up welding helmets fucking suck and I should splurge on an auto darkening one. Oh and I did this bare handed and my hands are stinging, apparently welding gloves are kinda necessary. Oops.

Gonna tool up tomorrow and attempt the engine mount.
You want this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/arcsafe-auto-darkening-welding-helmet-63749.html

It's a clone of this one: https://bakersgas.com/collections/miller-welding-helmets/products/miller-280045 for half the price.

I can see everything, in color, when I'm looking through it. The only disadvantage to the Hazard Fraught unit that I've found is that it has one battery instead of two. In fact, the head fit is better for my gigantic cranium with the cheapy.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and gee
Where is the nozzle for the gun?
Also, maybe turn up the heat a smidge, or the wire feed down.
Doing flux core, not mig, so not bothering with the nozzle.

I'm at "low 2" with this welder. High 2 pops the 15A breaker, high 1 doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'll turn down the wire speed and play around some more. Thanks!

I once saw a guy feed hot wire, right after a weld, through the web between his thumb and finger. IIRC he was trying to do something to the tip and accidentally squeezed.

Safety tip: dont do that

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
2 spark plugs, a thermostat, and a gas cap. The computer is no longer bamboozeled and the truck is built ford tough once again.

I know, shit that works like it's supposed to doesn't garner a whole lot of interest around here. Oh well.

• Gravy
  • Haha
Reactions: fly and wetwillie
2 spark plugs, a thermostat, and a gas cap. The computer is no longer bamboozeled and the truck is built ford tough once again.

I know, shit that works like it's supposed to doesn't garner a whole lot of interest around here. Oh well.
Change all the spark plugs at once ya cheap bastard

there's your interest!

I replaced the spark plugs in my GTO last weekend. All of them, at one time. With a set of platinums that will likely last until gasoline is no longer a thing.

Hope that ferd has a heated tailgate for all the pushin'.

• Haha
Reactions: HipHugHer
20211111_173459_compress56.jpg

Successfully welded the stud to the engine mount... what a pain in the dick location that was in, and getting a ground on it was half the battle. Took 3 attempts but the third time was a charm. Took the grinder to it here to check the penetration... Not much :)

Re-welded it and welded the other two studs in place and I'll reuse the mount.

View attachment 15216

Successfully welded the stud to the engine mount... what a pain in the dick location that was in, and getting a ground on it was half the battle. Took 3 attempts but the third time was a charm. Took the grinder to it here to check the penetration... Not much :)

Re-welded it and welded the other two studs in place and I'll reuse the mount.
Don't suppose the studs were replaceable before you welded them?

The 2 plugs are a couple cheap but known to be good autolites I keep around for diagnosing misfires you dolts.
Turns out it'll be time for head gaskets and thus a more involved teardown sometime over the course of the winter.
If I'm going that far I'm doing it all...once.

We're the dolts, but you're the one publicly stating you are changing only two plugs without giving an explanation and then getting defensive about the reaction

Last edited:
The 2 plugs are a couple cheap but known to be good autolites I keep around for diagnosing misfires you dolts.
Turns out it'll be time for head gaskets and thus a more involved teardown sometime over the course of the winter.
If I'm going that far I'm doing it all...once.
It was a good lead-on hips. You win. There are reasons to change a single plug - you are working on something, wrench slips and wacks a plug. "hmm, should I trust it or replace it?" Or the one bad cylinder that keeps fouling a plug . . .
You're still a cheap bastard 😬