Ontopic The new car-seching thread

What kind of traction does that beast get on wintery roads?
I'm of the opinion that, if you know what you're doing, RWD is better in the snow than FWD. Put some sandbags in the trunk and you can move the rear and the front semi-independently without worrying about exceeding grip because the fronts are both pulling and steering. If the rear end steps out you can still steer the car but if you lose the fronts it's just a sled.

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that, if you know what you're doing, RWD is better in the snow than FWD. Put some sandbags in the trunk and you can move the rear and the front semi-independently without worrying about exceeding grip because the fronts are both pulling and steering. If the rear end steps out you can still steer the car but if you lose the fronts it's just a sled.

I've managed all these years with FWD.
One of these days I may go AWD.
But hey, GW will eventually make winter driving a thing of the past. Maybe even in my lifetime.

I've managed all these years with FWD.
One of these days I may go AWD.
But hey, GW will eventually make winter driving a thing of the past. Maybe even in my lifetime.
AWD isn't the superhero-maker people seem to think it is. A good driver in FWD beats an average driver in AWD. They have this false sense of safety and do all the same shitty behavior as they do in good weather: tailgating, looking at their phone, treating it like a competition.

As a fellow shitbox driver I'm sure you're aware of all this, since we'll always lose with our lower energy if we get hit.

Found another thing in the Audi that was getting ready to kill me. The passenger side tie rod was only sort of bolted to the steering rack, and the passenger side of the steering rack was only sort of bolted to the car.

I'm beginning to suspect the PO of this car was something of an idiot.

Found another thing in the Audi that was getting ready to kill me. The passenger side tie rod was only sort of bolted to the steering rack, and the passenger side of the steering rack was only sort of bolted to the car.

I'm beginning to suspect the PO of this car was something of an idiot.
Not sure how many Audi owners work on their own cars but maybe his mechanic was an idiot :lol:

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
AWD isn't the superhero-maker people seem to think it is. A good driver in FWD beats an average driver in AWD. They have this false sense of safety and do all the same shitty behavior as they do in good weather: tailgating, looking at their phone, treating it like a competition.

As a fellow shitbox driver I'm sure you're aware of all this, since we'll always lose with our lower energy if we get hit.

I'm extremely confident in my driving abilities. It's everyone around me that makes the experience more "exciting" than it needs to be.
I'm fairly certain my car is extremely crushable, though I don't want to know for certain.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer

AWD in the winter is awesome. I can climb hills without spinning 1 tire, getting the thing unstuck after a snowstorm is as easy as "back out over everything".

I'm sure I could manage just as well in a FWD car, but the traction advantage of AWD is the tits.

Plus AWD cars just hoon so much better.

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers
AWD in the winter is awesome. I can climb hills without spinning 1 tire, getting the thing unstuck after a snowstorm is as easy as "back out over everything".

I'm sure I could manage just as well in a FWD car, but the traction advantage of AWD is the tits.

Plus AWD cars just hoon so much better.
Yeah but it's way easier to do donuts with a rwd

AWD and winter tires make you a superhero.

AWD on summer tires make you a monumental danger.

I can't speak to FWD, as I've had exactly one FWD car in the snow (2002 Infiniti G20/Nissan Primera), and it was my wife's, not mine, so I didn't drive it much.

It's funny though how whatever shitbox you happen to own at the time is always the king-daddy shit of all cars. Guarantee if you were still flogging the Miata, it'd be better in the snow than some high-falutin' AWD car.

Last edited: