Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Just stopping by to report my luxury car passed inspection yesterday just rolling it through there just like it rolls every other day. Didn't even have to do so much as change a lightbulb.
Maybe someday when you guys finally tire of spending countless hours turning wrenches on shitty machinery you'll forego that nonsense and get something quality like a Buick. Try it sometime, your wives will thank you.
Half of my fleet is too old for inspection, you pansy.

I just send the state money and they send me back registration stickers.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Half of my fleet is too old for inspection, you pansy.

I just send the state money and they send me back registration stickers.
I'm still in line at the govt office to hand over my pound of flesh and get the sticker. They don't come to work until after the doers been at work for awhile then they leave while the folks that pay their salary are still at work.
It's a sweet gig if you can get it.

Just stopping by to report my luxury car passed inspection yesterday just rolling it through there just like it rolls every other day. Didn't even have to do so much as change a lightbulb.
Maybe someday when you guys finally tire of spending countless hours turning wrenches on shitty machinery you'll forego that nonsense and get something quality like a Buick. Try it sometime, your wives will thank you.
Bro, you're proud of passing an inspection in the US? In Texas? What?

I'm still in line at the govt office to hand over my pound of flesh and get the sticker. They don't come to work until after the doers been at work for awhile then they leave while the folks that pay their salary are still at work.
It's a sweet gig if you can get it.
Though I'm certain that the DMV hasn't downsized their workforce in the slightest, New Mexico at least has an online option that works about 85% of the time. Sometimes there's a mismatch that occurs if you're in a corner case, like if you don't have a 17 digit VIN, or if your inspection hasn't made it up to the DMV servers or something.

It also has a 10% discount if you use it.

Though I'm certain that the DMV hasn't downsized their workforce in the slightest, New Mexico at least has an online option that works about 85% of the time. Sometimes there's a mismatch that occurs if you're in a corner case, like if you don't have a 17 digit VIN, or if your inspection hasn't made it up to the DMV servers or something.

Ours is weird
I go get an inspection, they input that into the "system" , then I can drive over to fucking krogers and at the customer service desk, they can issue the reg sticker.
Takes like an hour all in

• Gravy
Bro, you're proud of passing an inspection in the US? In Texas? What?
25 years or older doesn't require emissions test anymore but everything regardless of age still gets a basic safety inspection. Tires, lights, horn, wipers, brakes, etc. Basically make sure it's not a total deathbox once a year.

if its over 20 or 25 years (I forget what the cutoff is) they dont do emissions testing and basically just make sure the lights and horn work
yeah, that cutoff is 35 years in NM, and instead of "just making sure the lights and horn work" they don't bother with any of it.

I think the emissions guys are going to be happy once we get to 2031, since then they won't have to do sniffer tests anymore, just OBD-II checks.

• Gravy
if its over 20 or 25 years (I forget what the cutoff is) they dont do emissions testing and basically just make sure the lights and horn work
Even if you have to test emissions, with a stock engine that should be a cake walk.

Not saying we need some Germans in here with their level of anal-ness, but anyone boasting about passing an inspection in the states needs to set their bar a little higher.

You can do that here, as well as at the customer service counter at heb, etc. If it's in the current month or I think previous month.

Car has been out since August. Cops have been real hands off here since the Rona thing so I got a few free months out of em.

Truck has been out since December 2019, still no tickets, lol. Gonna see how long I can keep that streak going.

Even if you have to test emissions, with a stock engine that should be a cake walk.

Not saying we need some Germans in here with their level of anal-ness, but anyone boasting about passing an inspection in the states needs to set their bar a little higher.
Emissions test here means the state's computer and your cars computer agree nothing's wrong, as in check engine light codes. Pipe sniffers went out with 1995 model year. In 2022 a 97 model year doesn't get emissions tested anymore.

Actually you can read one incomplete monitor and still pass. The cats being the last monitor to register you just clear the codes, put on enough miles/drive cycles but not too many, time your arrival at the shop just right and don't shut it off.

Ohio doesn't even pretend to have a safety inspection. Very common, this close to the border, for people to register their cars to an Ohio PO box.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
lol people not from the northeast bitching about inspections.

NY does a 75 point inspection YEARLY.

MD it costs $200 and everything has to work. At least when you buy it. Then you're homefree.

lol people not from the northeast bitching about inspections.

NY does a 75 point inspection YEARLY.

MD it costs $200 and everything has to work. At least when you buy it. Then you're homefree.
Yeah, I've been up that way. They're still bullshit and nowhere near what they should be.

You really need to lay off the gatekeeping. Its getting old

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Yeah, I've been up that way. They're still bullshit and nowhere near what they should be.

You really need to lay off the gatekeeping. Its getting old
You know we're big on dick measuring. I get more snow, there was one dmv window open and I waited 8 hours. :p