Ontopic The new car-seching thread

So I hit a raccoon at high speed in the fit earlier. Driving at night on a woods road at high speed, crested a hill and WHAM.

I thought "shit", but kept driving... for about 10 more minutes down the road, until I had to stop and merge onto another road. Gearing down for that, huh the clutch pedal's soft, hey I can't get the car into gear... fuck. I still managed to limp the car home by getting it into 4th gear and leaving it there for the rest of the trip home.

And yup, there's exploded raccoon under the car, and the hard line exiting the clutch master cylinder is bent and leaking.

Last critter I hit was a porcupine, and that took out the A/C. I really need to put some armor or animal-shredding blades or something under the damn car.

you need some of those off-road style under carriage shields

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie

Ive always thought there needs to be an opposing communique to the angry horn honk and I think this is the best possible implemention

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
Well, dug into the car some more.

What I thought was a brake fluid leak was an oil leak from the back of the engine, and the bent/kicked hardline is probably from the factory. And the thing's got plenty of clutch fluid. Changed it and bled it anyway in case somehow air got in there... no difference. Clutch pedal is still soft, and the engagement point is pretty well when my foot's on the floor.

Reading on the fitfreak forums for people who have encountered similar symptoms, it's a common issue and a clutch pressure plate failure seems to be the culprit - Honda did piles of them under warranty, and mine made it to 250K.

So now I've likely got two cars needing clutch jobs. Yay.

Time to kick myself in the ass and get the clutch done in the Corolla. Gonna pick up some taller jack stands and get at that this weekend.

Well, dug into the car some more.

What I thought was a brake fluid leak was an oil leak from the back of the engine, and the bent/kicked hardline is probably from the factory. And the thing's got plenty of clutch fluid. Changed it and bled it anyway in case somehow air got in there... no difference. Clutch pedal is still soft, and the engagement point is pretty well when my foot's on the floor.

Reading on the fitfreak forums for people who have encountered similar symptoms, it's a common issue and a clutch pressure plate failure seems to be the culprit - Honda did piles of them under warranty, and mine made it to 250K.

So now I've likely got two cars needing clutch jobs. Yay.

Time to kick myself in the ass and get the clutch done in the Corolla. Gonna pick up some taller jack stands and get at that this weekend.
omg don't you have any cars that run </fly>

Hopefully they aren't like VW/Audi with their stupid fixation on dual mass flywheels.

Can you adjust the engagement point with the clevis in the pedal at all?

Ive always thought there needs to be an opposing communique to the angry horn honk and I think this is the best possible implemention

I keep thinking that there is a market for an old school LED array on the back of a truck tailgate that would let you spell out messages or pics like a lite-brite. Program a bunch of pre-designed messages activated by a button push. Include a phone app that would let you change them when the car is stopped

omg don't you have any cars that run </fly>

Hopefully they aren't like VW/Audi with their stupid fixation on dual mass flywheels.

Can you adjust the engagement point with the clevis in the pedal at all?
At least you can blame your lack of working cars on your incessant desire to fuck with them. IM GONNA REPLUMB MY FUEL INJECTORS, AW SHIT I BROKE IT. In my case it's keeping beaters around longer than I should.

I made it to 309K on the stock clutch/DMF on the GTI before I sold it, If you don't abuse the things they hold up. There's piles of MK4 TDIs going around with way more mileage on the stock DMF's than my car reached. But if you're sidestepping the clutch or have the car modded for lots of power, you're gonna have a bad time.

No engagement point adjustment on the fit. Some aftermarket master cylinders have that feature, and an early-2000's 1.7L Civic clutch master cylinder is cheap and drops in and has that adjustment, so I might do it as a bandaid.

• Haha
Reactions: Jehannum
I keep thinking that there is a market for an old school LED array on the back of a truck tailgate that would let you spell out messages or pics like a lite-brite. Program a bunch of pre-designed messages activated by a button push. Include a phone app that would let you change them when the car is stopped

oh yeah, a freeway full of people telling eachother to fuck off thatd be great

At least you can blame your lack of working cars on your incessant desire to fuck with them. IM GONNA REPLUMB MY FUEL INJECTORS, AW SHIT I BROKE IT. In my case it's keeping beaters around longer than I should.

I made it to 309K on the stock clutch/DMF on the GTI before I sold it, If you don't abuse the things they hold up. There's piles of MK4 TDIs going around with way more mileage on the stock DMF's than my car reached. But if you're sidestepping the clutch or have the car modded for lots of power, you're gonna have a bad time.

No engagement point adjustment on the fit. Some aftermarket master cylinders have that feature, and an early-2000's 1.7L Civic clutch master cylinder is cheap and drops in and has that adjustment, so I might do it as a bandaid.
I just hate the DMF because it's such a stupid idea when you can have a sprung hub in the clutch and have a substantially smaller part count with the same reliability.

It's gone from my Audi, in favor of a Southbend SMF conversion.

Didn't say it was a great idea, just that there would be a market
I've ALWAYS wanted a changable sign for my vehicle, fuck yes.
BUtton #1 - BACK off or I throw a kid out the window!
#2 - I can see you jacking off from up here (happened twice, #trucklife).
#3. Get off my ass, my brake lights are intermittent
#4 I'll let YOU in, would you let ME in ?
#5 You're HOT pull over and we'll exchange numbers!!
etc.

Seems it would be easy to gut one of those signs the CHinese make with changeable messages.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
I use to keep one of my vest pockets loaded with little washers (usually little lock washers, the kind that are split and somewhat twisted so they don’t stick together when trying to grab one), and they’d come in handy whenever I had a tailgater.

I’d just flick one over my shoulder and they’d back off. I doubt there was ever any damage done and nobody ever saw me do it so it was relatively safe for me.

I just reread that and tried to add at the beginning but couldn’t, that was when I was riding a motorcycle. I’d be getting tailgated and flip the little lock washer over my shoulder.

6B0FA239-0A67-4707-AF62-F5063634C6BB.jpeg

• Haha
  • Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and fly
I just reread that and tried to add at the beginning but couldn’t, that was when I was riding a motorcycle. I’d be getting tailgated and flip the little lock washer over my shoulder.

View attachment 15201
Had a mental image of you flipping washers into the backseat of a station wagon and getting happy the other guy went away.

• Haha
Reactions: Immigrant

View attachment 15201
Pennies or pistachio shells out the window. Pistachios are my fav for road trips, for that reason alone. Drop a handful of shells out the window, watch them scatter. People in fancy cars be swerving and shit :)

• Haha
Reactions: Immigrant