Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Took the suspension back apart to address the terrible Tokico springs I bought back in the late '00s and thought they were the shit because the suspension was so stiff.

View attachment 14153

These feature separate ride height and preload adjustments, as well as damping stiffness settings:
View attachment 14154

Installation method is to take the threaded tubes off the coilovers, cut off the strut tubes so that there's just a little nub on the bottom, then weld it together.

Scribing a cutoff mark:
View attachment 14155

TIG'ing the tube on after cleaning up the knuckles with an angle grinder, a die grinder, and a dremel grinder:
View attachment 14156

Welded the inside too, which blistered the paint something fierce, so I painted the tubes again:
View attachment 14157

Then I set the ride height, cranked the damping settings all the way soft, and am enjoying life, though disassembling the suspension revealed that I need to service the front brakes.
Those folding ladders feel good and solid? Is at least whatever locks it steel?
I worry aluminum would wear and get floppy with a lot of use.

Not my house, so no idea. I have an aluminum ladder, but it's a slider. I don't have any issues with it, but I'm hoping to use it less this year, since I won't have to go up on the roof a thousand times to fiddle with the stupid swamp cooler.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I have an all steel one I have had for about 30 years -heavy as fuck but solid. Nah, ain't getting me onto one of those aluminum fucks. Chinese aircraft aluminum is only strong enough for Chinese airmen.

I have an all steel one I have had for about 30 years -heavy as fuck but solid. Nah, ain't getting me onto one of those aluminum fucks. Chinese aircraft aluminum is only strong enough for Chinese airmen.

I got all the ladders I need just those seem like they might be a little more convenient, unless your in that little 4ft. strip of ground between a house and a property fence.
I like the wide base.

I've done the floppity-flop on my 32' aluminum plenty enough I got the rhythm.

I've got a folding 26 ft Werner, it's super heavy to move around, but it's steady, I usually use it in about a 12 ft a frame, but I do occasionally extend it to the full 26 long, it works it's not wibbly wobbly

I've got a folding 26 ft Werner, it's super heavy to move around, but it's steady, I usually use it in about a 12 ft a frame, but I do occasionally extend it to the full 26 long, it works it's not wibbly wobbly
It's made of good aluminum, not the pot stuff that you can just break but probably 6061 or something similar, the pins are aluminum but they're heavy heavy

Thanks for that. I'm kind of in between personal and commercial as far as how much they get used but they do get worked a fair bit. They also get stored outdoors though under cover. I don't have a garage. Shed for the small stuff but anything over 10' won't fit in there.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Thanks for that. I'm kind of in between personal and commercial as far as how much they get used but they do get worked a fair bit. They also get stored outdoors though under cover. I don't have a garage. Shed for the small stuff but anything over 10' won't fit in there.
My folder has been used the most as a portable workbench. Strap on a plywood(or shit door) deck, cut drywall, etc on it. Put miter saw up there if doing light trim, no need to keep going to the floor. *Most recently I did all my chicken gutting and plucking on a deck of crap T-11 up on it, hung the chickens from it to bleed out as I gave then the neck slice. :) Morning Hips!:D

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Mines been outdoors for about 90% of the last 10 years, under an eave at best. Its got a few plastic overmolded bits (nothing structural) and then have bleached from a dark blue to a light blue, but are still structurally strong. I think its glass re-enforced plastic.

Getting my tuner to come by tomorrow to take care of some cold start issues on the GTO.

Sorta getting used to the valvetrain noise on the Datsun, but I'm not sure that it should be as loud as it is. Gonna recheck the valve clearances again and if it doesn't go away, I might take the head off and have the guides replaced.

• Sad
Reactions: wetwillie
aww yeah, just ordered Michelin Pilot Sport all seasons for the Audi from Costco (using some of the costco card I got for buying HVAC through them). 16" tires are so cheap now.

I Love You Reaction Gif GIF by Death Wish Coffee

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
This one is having the head gasket replaced and a new turbo, downpipe, injectors and ECU installed.

This is my current daily. Sitting at just over 81k miles. Will make the MSM my daily once it's done and get this guy restored

This one recently went to a new home. 92 B&T with 70k

I don't remember how the hell to do imgur embedding anymore. I suck. :D I actually dislike black cars but somehow these kept falling into my lap

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Mikeawesome