Ontopic The new car-seching thread

No, but everyone else here's like "just clear the codes and drive it".
So from what I've read, it seems that pulling the battery for ~10 minutes is supposed to clear *everything*. Once I did that, of course the lights are off. I'm wondering if this cleared the TCU and now things really will be fine.

I should know for sure tomorrow when I get my fancy new OBDII reader.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
So from what I've read, it seems that pulling the battery for ~10 minutes is supposed to clear *everything*. Once I did that, of course the lights are off. I'm wondering if this cleared the TCU and now things really will be fine.

I should know for sure tomorrow when I get my fancy new OBDII reader.
10 minutes plus or minus. It all depends on how much charge is left in the caps that keep the RAM from clearing.

You want it good and clear, unplug it overnight.

10 minutes plus or minus. It all depends on how much charge is left in the caps that keep the RAM from clearing.

You want it good and clear, unplug it overnight.
It did clear the codes, so I assume it worked?

edit: Also I found out there's an idle relearn you should do after having the battery out. :lol:

Not sure about yours, my old Taurus you hooked a jumper wire to some pin and grounded it to make sure the caps were drained if you wanted it to completely start over from scratch.

How many little bolt bins and organizer boxes for various fasteners and stuff you got? Must be a whole wall of em.

Cool, just curious. That's a whole lot of little things to keep track of. Gonna be away from their forever home for a fair amount of time too.
As much damn wrenching as you do thought you might've bought an aisles worth of display bins from a defunct hardware store and just sort it all by size, length, thread pitch, and hardness. Every type of little plastic panel fastener, etc.

Cool, just curious. That's a whole lot of little things to keep track of. Gonna be away from their forever home for a fair amount of time too.
As much damn wrenching as you do thought you might've bought an aisles worth of display bins from a defunct hardware store and just sort it all by size, length, thread pitch, and hardness. Every type of little plastic panel fastener, etc.
Nah man, you thread shit into the hole it came out of and then take it out when you finally degrease it and prep it for assembly.
Kinda amateur hour shit you thinkin about with bins and sorting and shit?

Nah man, you thread shit into the hole it came out of and then take it out when you finally degrease it and prep it for assembly.
this is right. If for some reason you cant do that, you put it in a sheet of cardboard, in the shape of the thing it came out of, labeled.

That's what I do, J is doing like some frame off restoring remanufacturing shit. You can't just leave all the bolts turned into their holes.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
this is right. If for some reason you cant do that, you put it in a sheet of cardboard, in the shape of the thing it came out of, labeled.
This is what I do for stuff that should go back in the same position and orientation, like cam bearings or such. Lay it out on cardboard or poke it in styrofoam, write on it with a marker what is what in a clear and obvious manner, and hope the cat doesn't decide to help me.

That's what I do, J is doing like some frame off restoring remanufacturing shit. You can't just leave all the bolts turned into their holes.
Switch to small containers. Large Tynek envelopes are a nice choice for some things - easy to write on, strong enough to hang on a hook.
Totally agree on keeping connectors and parts together. I have hundreds of partially assembled watches - each is in it's own quality zip-lock, with all parts. Albeit, I do have 22 large organizer boxes of parts by manufacturer, etc. For the ones deconstructed to parts. :)

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Yeah, this isn't my first rodeo, and the sorted baggies have done me well in the past. I do have a big assortment of bolts that I keep as spares, sorted by size and pitch, but I only go to those when I need to replace one or more.

So I *may* have found the fix for my car (or at least identified something else wrong). I saw a post about someone putting 10qts in to top it off. Mine appeared to top off at 8. I went and grabbed 3 more quarts and sure as shit, it took two of them. I've got an appointment with a Subaru mechanic at 1pm. I've cleared codes, so hopefully the lights don't come on by the time I get there. But even if they do, I've got someone that can do the diag.

Turns out the Tactrix Openport ODB2 thingie I bought won't talk to the TCU anyway. Motherfucker.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Did the brakes on the Q5 yesterday. First time doing a job with an electric parking brake, which requires a scan tool to disengage and reengage the parking brake.

Ended up firing Carista on the phone, which works with my shitty ELM327 adapter and does the same kind of shit that a VAG-COM or OBDeleven box does. If you sign up for 1 year it won't bill you for a week, and you can cancel a couple days before to get 5 days of free use out of it.

Did the handbrake with the tool. Also used it to fuck with the coding on the Q5 so I can now roll the windows up/down with the key fob, and it does a ricey gauge sweep when you start the thing up. Gonna fuck around with it over the next couple days to see if there's anything else fun I can do with it, then cancel that shit because I likely won't need it for a few more years.

So I *may* have found the fix for my car (or at least identified something else wrong). I saw a post about someone putting 10qts in to top it off. Mine appeared to top off at 8. I went and grabbed 3 more quarts and sure as shit, it took two of them. I've got an appointment with a Subaru mechanic at 1pm. I've cleared codes, so hopefully the lights don't come on by the time I get there. But even if they do, I've got someone that can do the diag.

Turns out the Tactrix Openport ODB2 thingie I bought won't talk to the TCU anyway. Motherfucker.
Possible final entry: Took it to the Subaru mechanic. They plugged in their scanner. He showed me the errors. Same errors I had before I started. So it seems that no matter what I did, nothing was clearing out the TCU codes. Until he did it with his scanner. After that, I drove like 6 miles home and no lights coming on. Cautiously optimistic.

Anyone got suggestions on a good (full) OBDII scanner. I think I saw they were $200-300. Having those codes (and the ability to clear them) could have helped me weeks ago. Also, it would have helped me a few months back when we got bad gas on a road trip.