WTF The mildly embarassing fun fact thread

Mariachi band? Now that's cool! I just did marching, symphonic/concert, jazz and orchestra on F Horn. I have always borrowed horns and now should consider getting my own since I just returned the last one a few months ago but they're stupid expensive. Stupid me had a rich boyfriend in HS and they had offered to buy me one for graduation. I should have said yes... stupid stupid stupid.
Troll the pawn shops and estate sales. I found both of mine that way, for stupid cheap.

Troll the pawn shops and estate sales. I found both of mine that way, for stupid cheap.
I did it for a while as it was just before the holidays when I gave the other horn back, but since it was so close to the holidays I found nothing. I should try again soon. I would love to have one so my son could learn. I need to start teaching him basics though.

We do have a cornet and a baritone as well for him to learn on in the meantime. He's surprisingly good at brass and getting tones out given his age.

Huh I thought guys had a better range than that (including falsetto). My range is still (but barely) 3 full octaves.

yes I was a choir and band geek here. I don't care who knows though, it serves me well and has brought in extra funds at time (being paid to sing at weddings & funerals and extra money I'd get for leading church choirs).

Nothing really to embarrassing here. I was embarrassed when I was 5 an walked outside with my shorts in my hand (instead of on) but generally speaking everything I've done makes me who I am today.
Ok. So I just tested my range, about 3 1/2 octaves. But that's really straining and almost yelling to reach that last half without using falsetto.

Since when was it embarrassing to be able to sing? I've been singing since the 1st grade. Been playing drums since the 5th grade, piano since sophomore year in high school.
Not embarrassing to be able to sing... not at all. Just the fact that I was in choir for 6 years. And really it's not that embarrassing anymore. Mostly when I was in school...

Ok. So I just tested my range, about 3 1/2 octaves. But that's really straining and almost yelling to reach that last half without using falsetto.
That makes more sense. Most men can usually do about 2 octaves w/o falsetto (give or take a little). Women suck, we don't have falsetto so I know some who really only have 2 octaves. 2.5 is great and 3 is abnormal. Over the years I've lost a 1/2 step on my upper range and my lower needs to work on it. Though the lower end I rarely use anyway.

Not embarrassing to be able to sing... not at all. Just the fact that I was in choir for 6 years. And really it's not that embarrassing anymore. Mostly when I was in school...
Meh, never thought it was embarrassing. Still sing in a choir now. I'm a baritone, but normally singe tenor, and pinch hit for bass or alto depending on what's needed.

I still don't think there's much of that to be embarrassed by. I graduated high school with nearly double the credits in music than any other subject. That includes 4 years of English and 4 of math. My senior year I was literally in marching band, symphonic band (and helped with the lower concert band), orchestra, jazz band, pep band, women's glee and then the generic mixed choir. I would've even done show choir but I had no time for it with all that I did.

I started band in 4th grade. Choir was church choir as I went to Catholic school and I think we started in 2nd grade when I moved. I even did hand bells for the children's choir one year. Played piano starting at 5. So I've been in music stuff for 33 years now. Still am in the choir at church and run it now and then. So that's 33 years of music stuff. Nothing to be embarrassed at all with 6 years. Even while in school. Take what you love and run with it!

WBQynSi.jpg

I like female fronted bands: Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Walls of Jericho, older Otep albums, etc.

edit: forgot Arch Enemy (angela was awesome) and iwrestledabearonce.

Last edited:
I think Gates made being a nerd into a stable career but it was still socially stigmatized until Zuckerberg came around.
Nah, in all honesty it was regarded as a better class back during the first Internet bubble in the late 90s. Long before social media became a thing. The first round of dot com successes made women start to take a hard look at finding their wealthy nerd. Which really started the validation