Pics The Jr Yankme Workshop - I'm no Drool....

Not very durable and from what I've read - don't ever get it wet.

I see. My client has his floor installed in late November. Got a snow storm after that, and workers going in and out of the house with snowy boots didn't appear to damage the floor. Just water marks which any floor would show.
Are you talking about water damaging a cork flooring product, like a flooded basement or broken water pipe?

I see. My client has his floor installed in late November. Got a snow storm after that, and workers going in and out of the house with snowy boots didn't appear to damage the floor. Just water marks which any floor would show.
Are you talking about water damaging a cork flooring product, like a flooded basement or broken water pipe?

I really only did some cursory searching before ruling it out, but water damage came up a lot. No idea how much it takes.

edit: Note the cleaning steps here:
http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/cork-flooring-a-modern-floor-choice/
That's the kind of stuffs I found...

Last edited:
I really only did some cursory searching before ruling it out, but water damage came up a lot. No idea how much it takes.

edit: Note the cleaning steps here:
http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/cork-flooring-a-modern-floor-choice/
That's the kind of stuffs I found...
There is a difference between real cork, and what is sold as "cork" just like with linoleum. You won't find the real stuff at HD, and if it's anything like linoleum they only distribute it through certified installers.

This is something no one has brought up yet but, you can DIY your kitchen floor and it will be ok, but if you pay to have one installed by a specialty outfit it is going to be done faster, neater and you have a lot more choice. I've only put in one kitchen floor and it was meh cutting around the cabinets and stuff.

There is a difference between real cork, and what is sold as "cork" just like with linoleum. You won't find the real stuff at HD, and if it's anything like linoleum they only distribute it through certified installers.

This is something no one has brought up yet but, you can DIY your kitchen floor and it will be ok, but if you pay to have one installed by a specialty outfit it is going to be done faster, neater and you have a lot more choice. I've only put in one kitchen floor and it was meh cutting around the cabinets and stuff.

I'm not talking about looking at cork at HD, I'm talking about reviews I read that cork has to be handled with kid gloves.

And I don't think that has to be brought up, because its obvious. Yes, there will be a difference in craftsmanship between our install and a professional.

And I don't think that has to be brought up, because its obvious. Yes, there will be a difference in craftsmanship between our install and a professional.
99% of DIYers think they are doing the most awesomest job possible.

:lol:

I also am thinking of making my own (simple) baseboards. The contractor ones are obviously crap and not worth saving.
If you were really adventurous you could try using molding knives on your table saw. >.>

I've done it with a router, as long as you use clamps it's pretty easy.

Never tile in a kitchen. Drop a pot and crack the tile. Liquids from spills fucking up grout and taking longer to clean.

Properly installed with plywood base and cement board on top, it shouldn't crack. Seal it properly and it won't stain.

Your hardwood floors must be full of dents dropping so much stuff. ;)

Hardwood and laminate floors are so much better than carpets if you have allergies (like I do). Same with vinyl floors.
If I had a choice, hardwood > laminate, in that you don't get that spongy feeling underneath when walking across hardwood flooring since they are nailed/stapled to the subfloor, where as a lot of laminate flooring is floating ontop of a thin foam or plastic pad or other type of covering. edit: But that means hardwood flooring is more expensive to install (labor intensive), whereas laminate is cheaper to install (usually glue sections of laminate and snap together, lay out on floor).

Hardwood dents easier than laminate though. Furniture coasters are a necessary evil.

Both are easy to clean. Dust mop or swifer and you're done.

Vinyl floor is the way to go in a bathroom. Easier to clean than ceramic. Carpets in bathrooms is gross. All kinds of mold and/or mildew buildup under the carpet from the damp environment.

Every time I review an appraisal report or home inspection and I see this, I just want to puke for days. Thus why I only review these reports after lunch. :fly: Never know what people have in their homes. I'm so sensitive to shit like that.