Pics The Jr Yankme Workshop - I'm no Drool....

Properly installed with plywood base and cement board on top, it shouldn't crack. Seal it properly and it won't stain.

Your hardwood floors must be full of dents dropping so much stuff. ;)
Yes, but since it's actual hardwood, it adds to the character of the wood. :heart: century homes with hard wood floors. Lots of history and love.

And more importantly, who remembers the house you walk into with pets that doesn't stink? No one. You only remember the houses that do stink.

Yah, no kidding. If my dog defies us by pissing on the floor, the carpet cleaner is instantly whipped out and it's cleaned right away. I go over it a zillion times and I have a premixed solution on standby that includes a bit of vinegar so it cleans all that shizz up good n fast. :cool:

:lol:

I also am thinking of making my own (simple) baseboards. The contractor ones are obviously crap and not worth saving.

Let me know what you come up with as I would love to replace all ours but can't justify 3 bucks a foot.

Let me know what you come up with as I would love to replace all ours but can't justify 3 bucks a foot.
Find best price for clear pine 1x5s in your area. Add how much your time is worth.

Sawmills are worth checking out because they have crazy better prices than box stores. Some sawmills will even do custom runs of molding, can work out to a better price than HD crap. Of course, Im not sure if you have much logging industry... in.. the... desert...

Don't even ask about oak because you cant afford it and it's difficult to work with.

One of the rooms in my hosue has mdf baseboards because we havent redone it. I should take pics of them. They are all falling apart and nasty.

Find best price for clear pine 1x5s in your area. Add how much your time is worth.

Sawmills are worth checking out because they have crazy better prices than box stores. Some sawmills will even do custom runs of molding, can work out to a better price than HD crap. Of course, Im not sure if you have much logging industry... in.. the... desert...

Don't even ask about oak because you cant afford it and it's difficult to work with.

But I don't want them 3/4inch thick, I only want 1/2 inch. And no, there aren't many lumber mills around these parts.

This will probably really make ZRH rage, but if we do it I might use MDF :fly:

In my bedroom I intend to have 1/2 mdf cut down to 4 inch strips, then reinstall the basic moulding on top of it, so it still has a fancy top (I don't own a router yet to do anything to it myself) but give the size I want. Luckily I only have inside corners in the bedroom, so I don't have to deal with the rounded corners I have throughout the rest of the house.

One of the rooms in my hosue has mdf baseboards because we havent redone it. I should take pics of them. They are all falling apart and nasty.

I'm pretty certain all of his rooms probably have it as do mine considering they are the builder basic for homes. We don't have custom build houses by any means.

Ours aren't MDF. Yet. The key is priming and painting the entire thing - front and back. Well the key to making it stand up slightly longer anyway...

And prevent breathing the shit in.

Ours aren't MDF. Yet. The key is priming and painting the entire thing - front and back. Well the key to making it stand up slightly longer anyway...

And prevent breathing the shit in.

This is good information to know as I redo mine.

In my bedroom I intend to have 1/2 mdf cut down to 4 inch strips, then reinstall the basic moulding on top of it, so it still has a fancy top (I don't own a router yet to do anything to it myself) but give the size I want. Luckily I only have inside corners in the bedroom, so I don't have to deal with the rounded corners I have throughout the rest of the house.

I'm pretty certain all of his rooms probably have it as do mine considering they are the builder basic for homes. We don't have custom build houses by any means.

Um inside corners are the hard corners because you have to cope the intersections or youll have gaps. Also, idk, it's your house, you must not vacuum much or something. We ram that vacuum into the wall so much... All the rooms I redid have painted, clear, yellow pine moldings and the bottom course of drywall is level 4 finish on abuse resistant 5/8" panels (you cant dent them, or put pins in them).

Youd figure with kids you'd be more hip to making everything durable.

Um inside corners are the hard corners because you have to cope the intersections or youll have gaps. Also, idk, it's your house, you must not vacuum much or something. All the rooms I redid have painted, clear, yellow pine moldings and the bottom course of drywall is level 4 finish on abuse resistant 5/8" panels (you cant dent them, or put pins in them).

Youd figure with kids you'd be more hip to making everything durable.

I would use wood in a heartbeat if we were going to be here for any amount of time. I know how undurable MDF is, but for a house we only plan to be in for a couple years max, it's fine.

Well I didnt know you were going to sell :p If that's the case you can glue the baseboard to the wall and you dont even have to worry about nail holes >.> It'll last just long enough to sell it.

Well I didnt know you were going to sell :p If that's the case you can glue the baseboard to the wall and you dont even have to worry about nail holes >.> It'll last just long enough to sell it.

We aren't selling for a couple years still, and may end up renting after that, so I don't want it to randomly fall off, but don't care to spend tons.