Pics The Jr Yankme Workshop - I'm no Drool....

Unless you are running a commercial loading dock it doesnt make much difference.

My house, there are 4 guys who all wear boots outside walking around, that kills shit, you shouldnt have any problem though with either. Home depot wants to sell you stuff, nevar trust a salesman.
Never trust a COMMISSIONED sales person. Home depot people don't care one way or another if you buy their crap. We may go to a flooring outlet store to see if we can get a deal tho.

You take that back!

We don't suck, we inhale.
SUCK SUCK SUCKA ROOOOO

Hardwood floor is the way to go. Tile for kitchen areas.

And as someone who has never smoked, I always smell it on people and always have to wash my coat after being in a smokers house.

Never tile in a kitchen. Drop a pot and crack the tile. Liquids from spills fucking up grout and taking longer to clean.

I did the click and lock hardwood (yes they make it) Bruce slats. Guaranteed 25 years and really wear well. Sounds really good while walking on it, too. I would recommend not cheapening out on the matting underneath. Waterproof noise proof and thick is the way to go with the underlay.

Never tile in a kitchen. Drop a pot and crack the tile. Liquids from spills fucking up grout and taking longer to clean.
I guess every commercial kitchen in the world doesn't know what they are doing installing quarry tiles...

Most commercial kitchens have those thick ass rubber anti-slip mats on top of the floor. At least all of the restaurant kitchens I've been into, seen on tv, etc. It's probably an OSHA requirement lol

edit: I haven't found many Home Depot employees very knowledgeable. Then again, I'm usually in the Electrical, Plumbing, or Handtools areas, and not Appliance or Flooring areas. The employees seem awfully pushy towards sales too, which made me initially think they were paid by commission.

Last edited:
I had tile in my kitchen and aside from the fact that every plate or cup we dropped shattered and it wasn't good with a small child, I LOVED them and plan to have them in the next house (not worth the money for the time we plan to stay in this one). Super easy to clean and looked nice.

Most commercial kitchens have those thick ass rubber anti-slip mats on top of the floor. At least all of the restaurant kitchens I've been into, seen on tv, etc. It's probably an OSHA requirement lol

edit: I haven't found many Home Depot employees very knowledgeable. Then again, I'm usually in the Electrical, Plumbing, or Handtools areas, and not Appliance or Flooring areas. The employees seem awfully pushy towards sales too, which made me initially think they were paid by commission.
Like you said, those are to protect the people, not the floor. Cheapo ceramic tiles on thinset will crack. Quarry tiles have to be fully mudded in, is like the difference between having a floor that isn't much stiffer than plywood and a 3in thick monolithic slab.

I just thought it was stupid to say tile = teh bad >.<

HD employees actually have it pretty bad, the people on the floor have a quota to make or they get fired for not trying. Most retail places run like this now, commission would probably be better, threat of being fired makes them desperate to sell anything.

I had tile in my kitchen and aside from the fact that every plate or cup we dropped shattered and it wasn't good with a small child, I LOVED them and plan to have them in the next house (not worth the money for the time we plan to stay in this one). Super easy to clean and looked nice.
Easy to clean? I find spilling coffee on the floor staining the grout quite quickly.

Could also go for a cork flooring product. One of my clients added on a huge extension to his home and installed this cork flooring. It's not full of holes like corks in wine bottles. It's dark colored (not sure if it is available in different colors). It has a nice feeling under foot. Looks like it cleans up nicely. Doesn't appear to dent badly from heavy furniture or dropping something onto it. It's a renewable/green product.

Not very durable and from what I've read - don't ever get it wet.