Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

how big is the fuckin mess?
Got tarps over everything?

So..... when was your house built? You did do an asbestos test first right

Asbestos popcorn ceilings were popular between 1945 and the 1990s. Asbestos was officially banned from ceiling coverings in 1973.

That you'd think I'm going into this blind says a lot about your assumptions.

Yes, I know that there is no asbestos in the areas I tested.
Abestos is the best os. It's prolly mud though, abestos gets talked up a lot but was more of a commercial product. Ive only ever seen it in old stores and stuff. Never in residential housing.

Abestos is the best os. It's prolly mud though, abestos gets talked up a lot but was more of a commercial product. Ive only ever seen it in old stores and stuff. Never in residential housing.
I did all the appropriate tests for a house of this one's age (built in '78) when I moved in - no lead paint, no asbestos, but I did get the aluminum branch wiring.

So, I can't say with certainty that there isn't any asbestos, as there could be some in some area that wasn't tested, and there's definitely asbestos in the concrete pipe that connects me to the sewer (though I think if you're huffing on that, you've got some bigger issues than asbestos).

I did all the appropriate tests for a house of this one's age (built in '78) when I moved in - no lead paint, no asbestos, but I did get the aluminum branch wiring.

So, I can't say with certainty that there isn't any asbestos, as there could be some in some area that wasn't tested, and there's definitely asbestos in the concrete pipe that connects me to the sewer (though I think if you're huffing on that, you've got some bigger issues than asbestos).
wait they fucking insulated youre sewer pipe, in NM do you even have a frost line

• Haha
Reactions: fly
No, the pipe is transite, which used asbestos fibers as a reinforcing agent.
oh yeah I didnt read that carefully I was imagining a cast iron pip wrapped in abestos which you're more likely to encounter in Canada lol

One me friends had that in her townhouse in Toronto had to carefully seal it off with vinyl and whatnot

Home related but not improvement: Bing Maps imported some new satellite views of my house from last summer. I can almost tie it to the exact date because I had a guy cutting the back field, his tractor was parked. And I had some grass piles from the lawn guy who waited too long to come out and cut grass and left a huge mess of clippings that I had to rake up and dispose.

Google Maps are still like 5-8 years ago before I owned my place and before one of the neighbors had built their house.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
oh yeah I didnt read that carefully I was imagining a cast iron pip wrapped in abestos which you're more likely to encounter in Canada lol

One me friends had that in her townhouse in Toronto had to carefully seal it off with vinyl and whatnot
We do have a frost line though. 18".

No, the pipe is transite, which used asbestos fibers as a reinforcing agent.
fun fact. My sewer pipes were 75-100 years old and made of cardboard.

it was actually in near perfect shape though

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh and fly
292734341_10159397178279262_4674265170538342855_n.jpg
Replacing rotten deck boards. One installed tonight, used deckmate screws because fuck nails. They pop up, tear up snow shovels, and trip on them. Used my cordless impact drill for the 2nd time. Made the job go so easy. Also bought a 40tooth blade for the circular saw to cut the boards more cleanly than the rip saw blade. One more 16ft board closer to the sliding glass door, then a couple of short pieces to replace (one rotten, one split). Then I'll probably get some mildew killer and spray the deck down.