Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

a little bit of water living inside the pipe wont hurt anything
It can. Yes indeedy it can

About 3-4 years into the first place wr rented here crap grew in the water. Fully blocked the pipe. Overflow switch was also fucked and didn't float (cause crappy builders.)
Didn't realize till the garage flooded.

@fly. Since you are getting water outside,, pour some bleach down it. If anything is blocking it it will die or leave.

Apparently bleach can be bad for the PVC and/or cement. Vinegar is way to go.
Maybe, but PVC usually fails under pressure. I'd think it would take a looooooooooong time for it to fail at a properly sealed joint.

I haven't looked into how bad bleach is for PVC though, so I may be talking out my ass

• Gravy
  • Haha
Reactions: Josh and fly
Chlorine. Bleach. Algacide. Whatever kills it. Hell, you could probably change the pH enough to do the job with lemon juice.
My 7th grade reading teacher was big into Edgar Allan Poe. Told us a story of how he was super excited to try Amontillado, was disgusted by it, and things screamed when he poured it down the drain.

So maybe try that @fly.

• Gravy
  • Haha
Reactions: Jehannum and fly
I got the 2nd replacement 16ft deck board installed last night. Looks nice. I got all of the nails out of the old board, really didn't have to work hard either. Flathead screwdriver to pop nail up a little and claw hammer to remove. Annoyed but not annoyed that ring shank nails were not used. Also the end of the board wasn't nailed down at all (where it is under the railing) so it came out real easy. A good portion of the board is still good, so I'll keep it in case any of the shorter pieces need to be replaced later on.

and the standing water is in the portion under the slab?

just fuckin' draw a picture.
Yeah, of course there's water sitting in the pipe under the slab, its the lowest point. My concern was about the 6" of pipe that comes out of the air handler. It had standing water in it. But I think it will be okay.

New house plans are finalized.

1657646287845.png

Just under 1500sqft interior space. Single floor, heated slab on grade.

I'm debating between forking out the $$$ to hydronically heat the slab using an air-source heat pump, or just resistively heating the slab and spending the same $$$ on solar panels instead to offset the difference. Gonna sit down with someone to calculate all the insulation and BTUs and all that other crap and make the call shortly. In any case, big heated slab qualifies for time-of-day heating.

Speaking of solar panels the house faces directly north, and the back roof of the house is angled 45 degrees which matches the 45°04' latitude we're at.

Utility room is in the middle of the house. Since I'm doing a slab on grade, I can just run the electrical service through a conduit in the slab and put the panel wherever - my big electrical loads are in the kitchen and in the utility room itself, which saves me a bunch on wiring. Hot water heater is also in the middle of the house right next to the bathroom, so people can run whatever water they want with zero effect on whoever's getting a shower, fixing a major pet peeve with the last two houses.

Big ass kitchen with a walk in pantry because we might as well admit that we're big fucking foodies.

And a woodstove for backup heat, and also because woodstoves are awesome. With the insulation we're putting in, it's gonna be hard to find a small enough woodstove that doesn't make the place ridiculously hot inside, but that's fine.

No dining room, no dining room table, we've never used either of them so fuck it. Eat at the kitchen island or eat on the couch.

View attachment 16261

I'm debating between forking out the $$$ to hydronically heat the slab using an air-source heat pump, or just resistively heating the slab and spending the same $$$ on solar panels instead to offset the difference. Gonna sit down with someone to calculate all the insulation and BTUs and all that other crap and make the call shortly. In any case, big heated slab qualifies for time-of-day heating.

Speaking of solar panels the house faces directly north, and the back roof of the house is angled 45 degrees which matches the 45°04' latitude we're at.

Utility room is in the middle of the house. Since I'm doing a slab on grade, I can just run the electrical service through a conduit in the slab and put the panel wherever - my big electrical loads are in the kitchen and in the utility room itself, which saves me a bunch on wiring. Hot water heater is also in the middle of the house right next to the bathroom, so people can run whatever water they want with zero effect on whoever's getting a shower, fixing a major pet peeve with the last two houses.

Big ass kitchen with a walk in pantry because we might as well admit that we're big fucking foodies.

And a woodstove for backup heat, and also because woodstoves are awesome. With the insulation we're putting in, it's gonna be hard to find a small enough woodstove that doesn't make the place ridiculously hot inside, but that's fine.

No dining room, no dining room table, we've never used either of them so fuck it. Eat at the kitchen island or eat on the couch.
I like the dog shower. Seems very spacious. Moose will love you for it.

Yeah, of course there's water sitting in the pipe under the slab, its the lowest point. My concern was about the 6" of pipe that comes out of the air handler. It had standing water in it. But I think it will be okay.
If it's standing, then install a piece that slopes away from the appliance towards your under-slab run.

Shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you don't want water draining back into the appliance from what is supposed to drain it.

View attachment 16261

What's a wet bath?

edit: looked it up. That's odd. Is that common up there?

If it's standing, then install a piece that slopes away from the appliance towards your under-slab run.

Shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you don't want water draining back into the appliance from what is supposed to drain it.
Do I really need to care about a little water sitting in there?