Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Yeah, he's moaning downstairs right now about how the texture on the ceiling was painted over, so there's no way to remove it except by brute scraping.

Here's what happened after the boy left the sink on for a few hours after throwing up in it:
View attachment 16236
fuck man, let him go. I have painted popcorn, its not fucking coming off.

Re-drywall the ceilings. ITs cheaper and will have a better result. I did one room at a time for a while

alternatively he can prime and skim it if redrywalling isnt an option. I have two rooms that are plaster with painted popcorn on it, so not tearing that down. Had em skimmed, looks great, but does take skill.

alternatively he can prime and skim it if redrywalling isnt an option. I have two rooms that are plaster with painted popcorn on it, so not tearing that down. Had em skimmed, looks great, but does take skill.
I gave him every option (skim, remove, scrape, whatever). He elected to scrape.

FWIW, I'm paying $2500 for about 1200 sq. ft. of removal.

he's gonna have to prime and skim ANYWAY, cause scraping painted over popcorn is gonna trash the drywall. Seriously, stop him before he quits midway and leaves you with a mess.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
he's gonna have to prime and skim ANYWAY, cause scraping painted over popcorn is gonna trash the drywall. Seriously, stop him before he quits midway and leaves you with a mess.
Yeah. You have to skim if you scrape. Dude is an idiot.

Has anyone ever replaced the trim on a prehung door? YT has a few videos on it, but they make it seem way more complex that I think it should be. I understand that the trim is structural, but as long as you only do one side at a time - is it really that big of a deal?

We had a house in the early 80s that had that shit on the walls
you could paint over it, but if you even brushed up against it the little popcorn bits would come off and leave a white spot
fuckin awful stuff whoever came up with the idea should be prosecuted in some way

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
Is that mud popcorn? OMG fuck all that. Also, :lol: at your son.
I have no idea. It's probably mud popcorn, because it was the previous owner that did that super high-class wiring job (didn't notch the joist, just ran it behind the drywall and over the joists, then mudded over top of it).

Has anyone ever replaced the trim on a prehung door? YT has a few videos on it, but they make it seem way more complex that I think it should be. I understand that the trim is structural, but as long as you only do one side at a time - is it really that big of a deal?
Just keep it square. I've done it a ton of times. Having a finishing nailer makes it easy

We had a house in the early 80s that had that shit on the walls
you could paint over it, but if you even brushed up against it the little popcorn bits would come off and leave a white spot
fuckin awful stuff whoever came up with the idea should be prosecuted in some way
The house I grew up in was built in the early 70s. It had styrofoam popcorn. That shit was easy to peel off. Fuck the mud shit right in its dumb ass.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh and Domon