Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

I need your help burning my house down please.

I need to run an outlet to a 4x4 on our patio. It's about 10' from the closest outlet in the house. Just had an electrician out here who quoted $679 to do it. Fuck that. I did talk to him about what he would do tho. It seems I just need to go about 6" down and run the whole thing in conduit. Would you fine folk be able to assist in a safe and secure parts list?

I need to run an outlet to a 4x4 on our patio. It's about 10' from the closest outlet in the house. Just had an electrician out here who quoted $679 to do it. Fuck that. I did talk to him about what he would do tho. It seems I just need to go about 6" down and run the whole thing in conduit. Would you fine folk be able to assist in a safe and secure parts list?
lol, not after the last fiasco.

patio = fully outdoors?

Decide how much digging you're prepared to do, which determines the type of wire you need to use.
  • Underground cable for running electrical power to a remote locationcan be installed at different depths, depending on the type of conduit and type of wire used.
    • For a 6-in.-deep trench, use galvanized rigid metal electrical conduit with individual conductors inside.
    • For a 12-in.-deep trench, you can direct-bury GFCI-protected underground feeder cable with a short length of PVC conduit at the house.
    • At 18 inches, you can use THWN-2 conductors inside a continuous length of PVC conduit, which protects the wire all the way through the trench to the house.
    • At 24 inches you can bury underground feeder cable, using PVC conduit to 18 inches below ground only where the wire comes up.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
only nuance here is is the ingress to the house, thats a little trick if you've never done it before.

For floriduh id go 12 inches deep, 1" pvc conduit continuous, thwn. 12 inches is still in the realm of chopping a wire if you're gonna plant a bush or something.

Anything more than 12 inches deep is underwater.

This bit

TFH_072011_071.jpg

its just a bit non-intuitive if you've never done it before.

Do I really have to tie it into a box, or can I just run the wires in the wall and tie it into the outlet?
outlet is fine, receptacles are housed in junction boxes.

(receptacle = outlet)

You need to positively secure the lb to the house somehow though. A couple straps could serve that purpose

outlet is fine, receptacles are housed in junction boxes.

(receptacle = outlet)

You need to positively secure the lb to the house somehow though. A couple straps could serve that purpose
That makes sense. A couple of straps, and then some caulk around the hole to keep out the weather, right?

I've never worked with conduit before. How much of a PITA is it? If its a pain, @wetwillie's post says I can do 12" and use UF, which seems much easier. :)

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and Domon
That makes sense. A couple of straps, and then some caulk around the hole to keep out the weather, right?

I've never worked with conduit before. How much of a PITA is it? If its a pain, @wetwillie's post says I can do 12" and use UF, which seems much easier. :)
conduit is super easy.

You can do UF, but conduit is easy enough that I wouldnt.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly