Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

the benefit to lvp is that grout sucks. It always gets grubby, its hard to get the spacing right unless you're a pro, etc etc.

I know epoxy grout is way better about staining, and thin grout lines in darkish colors are the way to go, but if you dont have to worry about all that shit... thats even easier.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Wow, I had a Jasco zwave switch go bad. After a simple 5 minute chat with support, I've got a new one coming. The damn things have a 5 year warranty. Wow.

ive got full access to my place for ages with duckdns + letsencrypt. Its been incredibly stable.

Cloudflared looks way more capable though, rather than just letting certain apps trhough.

I wonder what it looks like to an IDS though, if it looks like a VPN which it probably does, itll get blocked at my work.

or any port really thats gonna respond to ssh.
yeah, I'm sure my shitbox is super high on the list of critical infrastructure targets in the world.

I've had 25751 attempts to log into my system since the 17th of October, mostly trying root (22555), which is disabled by default. The remainder are one-offs, users like "pi", "hadoop" (targeted), or "anna", "alex", "cmb" (rainbow table, I assume).

At any rate, none of my users connects with a password (certificate only), and each host gets 3 attempts before being exponentially backed off in time between tries, before it gets to 5 days, then it gets blocked entirely.

DDoS attack open SSH ports. Fun times. Port knocking for the win.

Getting back to home improvement, I'm glad I have a generator. Power went out while I was eating breakfast this morning. I was already running late. Ran out to the barn and fired up the generator. Went back inside, took a shower, got dressed. Still no power, almost an hour later. Turned off generator and headed to work. Power company said equipment failure and estimated restoration at 6pm... tonight. Fun times.

yeah, I'm sure my shitbox is super high on the list of critical infrastructure targets in the world.

I've had 25751 attempts to log into my system since the 17th of October, mostly trying root (22555), which is disabled by default. The remainder are one-offs, users like "pi", "hadoop" (targeted), or "anna", "alex", "cmb" (rainbow table, I assume).

At any rate, none of my users connects with a password (certificate only), and each host gets 3 attempts before being exponentially backed off in time between tries, before it gets to 5 days, then it gets blocked entirely.
Even with passwords, it pretty much doesn't matter, as long as the password hasn't been previously pwnd.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
DDoS attack open SSH ports. Fun times. Port knocking for the win.

Getting back to home improvement, I'm glad I have a generator. Power went out while I was eating breakfast this morning. I was already running late. Ran out to the barn and fired up the generator. Went back inside, took a shower, got dressed. Still no power, almost an hour later. Turned off generator and headed to work. Power company said equipment failure and estimated restoration at 6pm... tonight. Fun times.
whats your heat source up there, wood stove?