Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

cc: computer thread

I forget what all I've said in here vs. just on fb, but I ended up doing powerline internet which mostly worked OK for me, except it meant any time Jason tried to run his welder, it was choking out my internet and I was losing my connection.

my internet comes into my house via coax, so we did a test run of running a long ass connected bit of coax from that initial entry point to the modem, with the modem upstairs, and then connecting the modem to my work PC via Ethernet. it worked, but while my speeds were still in the "fast" range, it was significantly lower than when everything was in the basement.

the numbers on the length of coax we have seems to match with the coax coming in from the internet company, I'm not sure what the length of added cable is but it's probably less than 100ft (edit: it's about 50 ft), but it's also definitely an old beat up cheap length that a friend of ours just cut himself ages ago for running cable TV to an old apartment. do y'all think that the speed losses could just be bc of the ostensibly cheap/crappy coax, or would I expect to see a big loss anyway bc of the length?

for reference, I was originally getting about 200+ down and now I'm maxing about 40. still plenty of internet to get stuff done, but I'm just annoyed bc it COULD be better lol
What happens if you just use a wireless bridge and plug your PC into the ethernet port on that?

without the 50’ ratty cable do you get the speeds you pay for?

How many times is the line split?

Might be better to run a 50’ Ethernet cable than extend the coax.

Shitty cable combined with low signal strength because your line is split a bunch will cause lower speeds.

Amazon Basics RJ45 Cat-6 Ethernet Patch Internet Cable - 50 Feet (15.2 Meters) Amazon product ASIN B0134QJH4G

yes, without the 50' I was getting the 200 down.

I don't think the line is split, this was just directly from the dedicated coax that comes in for the internet to the modem to my PC. there are other coax lines run, like there's one that runs to our master bedroom, but that was bypassed with this test setup.

What happens if you just use a wireless bridge and plug your PC into the ethernet port on that?

we haven't tried that yet, I think I had been holding out hope for a fully wired solution and then today Jason was like "let's try running the coax, I've got a long ass cable," but if we're going to have to fuck around with ordering new cables anyway and then have to deal with figuring out how to run it in my dumb house, the wireless bridge might be the better choice after all?

idk I think I've been getting hung up on wanting the best speeds I am capable of getting even if I don't need it all and for whatever reason I still have it in my head that wifi is always slower even though that's clearly not the case lol

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
we haven't tried that yet, I think I had been holding out hope for a fully wired solution and then today Jason was like "let's try running the coax, I've got a long ass cable," but if we're going to have to fuck around with ordering new cables anyway and then have to deal with figuring out how to run it in my dumb house, the wireless bridge might be the better choice after all?

idk I think I've been getting hung up on wanting the best speeds I am capable of getting even if I don't need it all and for whatever reason I still have it in my head that wifi is always slower even though that's clearly not the case lol
I assume (and this could be way off base) that it would behave similarly to a machine with wifi in the same room.

yes, without the 50' I was getting the 200 down.

I don't think the line is split, this was just directly from the dedicated coax that comes in for the internet to the modem to my PC. there are other coax lines run, like there's one that runs to our master bedroom, but that was bypassed with this test setup.

Give up on the wires. Working wifi is a beautiful thing. The speed is fine in most cases. I carry my Chromebook and a portable speaker with me everywhere within 100' of the house. CHeck email from the front yard or the field in back.

I've been saying for a while we need to do some flooring in our living room since it's basic carpet and kes is getting old and a bit accident prone. Been researching and think possibly getting tile flooring, anyone know how easy it is to do a home install?

I've been saying for a while we need to do some flooring in our living room since it's basic carpet and kes is getting old and a bit accident prone. Been researching and think possibly getting tile flooring, anyone know how easy it is to do a home install?
Tile is pretty easy to put in as flooring, but there's a certain amount of kit you have to purchase up front that has no additional utility afterwards - a mastic trowel, mixing paddles, and tile spacers. There's stuff that you probably could use in the future, like a chalk line and a small level, too.

Tile is pretty easy to put in as flooring, but there's a certain amount of kit you have to purchase up front that has no additional utility afterwards - a mastic trowel, mixing paddles, and tile spacers. There's stuff that you probably could use in the future, like a chalk line and a small level, too.
like paint, tile is all in the prep. Flat, level, and waterproofed and then its not bad at all.

Also, fuck mastic.

i assume ya'll have got LVP over there too, thats waaaaaaaaaaay easier than tile, and completely water (or urine) proof too

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
cc: computer thread

I forget what all I've said in here vs. just on fb, but I ended up doing powerline internet which mostly worked OK for me, except it meant any time Jason tried to run his welder, it was choking out my internet and I was losing my connection.

my internet comes into my house via coax, so we did a test run of running a long ass connected bit of coax from that initial entry point to the modem, with the modem upstairs, and then connecting the modem to my work PC via Ethernet. it worked, but while my speeds were still in the "fast" range, it was significantly lower than when everything was in the basement.

the numbers on the length of coax we have seems to match with the coax coming in from the internet company, I'm not sure what the length of added cable is but it's probably less than 100ft (edit: it's about 50 ft), but it's also definitely an old beat up cheap length that a friend of ours just cut himself ages ago for running cable TV to an old apartment. do y'all think that the speed losses could just be bc of the ostensibly cheap/crappy coax, or would I expect to see a big loss anyway bc of the length?

for reference, I was originally getting about 200+ down and now I'm maxing about 40. still plenty of internet to get stuff done, but I'm just annoyed bc it COULD be better lol
Use MoCA