Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

The $10k isn't totally nuts, if the room is like 12 foot wide and the thing is all nicely setup with clean routes for the cables and shit. The lower level looks deep, then there is the riser and the upper deck which looks fairly deep. They installed - maybe painted and shit when done? idk - I think $5500 would be more reasonable. If you're bending over some 'tard with too much money and not enough brains. ;)

1.8 desks (though since I bought it through costco, I have about .2 desks coming back on a debit card).
BOT :) So, they having run ducting, anything like that? What brand? Dish.
Yeah, HVAC shit is hideously expensive. {4 years ago}I put in a 16 SEER Goodman HVAC with 170k 96+ furnace. About $5k for materials plus $900 for an acquaintance with the gas license to finish and fill the tubing and run heavier electrical to the compressor. I did the basic install and sourced everything. I think the lowest quote I got at time was about $14k And yeah, you need the 20 SEER in your environment.

BOT :) So, they having run ducting, anything like that? What brand? Dish.
Yeah, HVAC shit is hideously expensive. {4 years ago}I put in a 16 SEER Goodman HVAC with 170k 96+ furnace. About $5k for materials plus $900 for an acquaintance with the gas license to finish and fill the tubing and run heavier electrical to the compressor. I did the basic install and sourced everything. I think the lowest quote I got at time was about $14k And yeah, you need the 20 SEER in your environment.
Ducts are good, but they need to remove the plenum junction for ol' swampy in the attic, and remove the roof penetration for both that and the vent for makeup air and exhaust (in the garage). I'm also having them clean the duct work, and replace a fair few registers. Also I guess they're using a crane to remove ol' swampy (because walking it past the solar panels seems risky).

It's Lennox stuff, the "SL97NV" furnace/air handler with their "XC20" air conditioner. I'm not sure what submodels in those ranges they're running, but the furnace at least is likely to be about 15% smaller than the Carrier 80% unit that's there now.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Ducts are good, but they need to remove the plenum junction for ol' swampy in the attic, and remove the roof penetration for both that and the vent for makeup air and exhaust (in the garage). I'm also having them clean the duct work, and replace a fair few registers. Also I guess they're using a crane to remove ol' swampy (because walking it past the solar panels seems risky).

It's Lennox stuff, the "SL97NV" furnace/air handler with their "XC20" air conditioner. I'm not sure what submodels in those ranges they're running, but the furnace at least is likely to be about 15% smaller than the Carrier 80% unit that's there now.
Sounds like 3/5 (5-6k?) of a desk realistically went toward that roof/duct/vent/misc. category.

Just think - hot ass day in July, work sucked but now you're having some bourbon and airing your neuticle in that cool, dry air. Priceless
peanuts movie disco ball GIF

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Jehannum
Sounds like 3/5 (5-6k?) of a desk realistically went toward that roof/duct/vent/misc. category.

Just think - hot ass day in July, work sucked but now you're having some bourbon and airing your neuticle in that cool, dry air. Priceless
peanuts movie disco ball GIF
yeah, I'm not fashed about the price. It's been on my mind for a while, and it's another step towards having the house "done" in a way that requires less maintenance than I'm doing now (going up on the roof to fiddle with a cranky swamp cooler isn't very much fun, and rarely at a convenient time).

yeah, I'm not fashed about the price. It's been on my mind for a while, and it's another step towards having the house "done" in a way that requires less maintenance than I'm doing now (going up on the roof to fiddle with a cranky swamp cooler isn't very much fun, and rarely at a convenient time).
Totally get it. Our old unit was getting creaky, the compressor was the noisiest POS and poorly placed outside. Multiple sins covered in one repentance..

So... that fancy ass smart oven i bought a bit back from whirlpools innovation lab literally dissolved. There a humidity release vent by the right front leg that lets out 200-300 degree air slowly through a tortous path so its coolish by the time it exits.

That humidity release vent points at one of the plastic feet.

Apparently they are shit at material engineering, and picked a plastic that degrades with heat and/or humidity. the entire plastic structure around that vent has degraded to the point of literally dissolving. You can take a piece of the plastic and rub it between your fingers and it turns to dust.

Thats what you get when you let research engineers make stuff and sell it to the public :p

On the plus side, Whirlpool (after spending 5 months trying to get to the right person) agreed to do a complete buyback and pay me what i paid for it in full.

• Sad
Reactions: Immigrant
So, now im nerding out over this:

Found one brand new on ebay for 75 bucks and already ordered it, seems awesome as everything the Wlabs was supposed to be, but with a brand thats actually reliable behind it. No clue why it was so cheap, its like 400 everywhere else.

Found one brand new on ebay for 75 bucks and already ordered it, seems awesome as everything the Wlabs was supposed to be, but with a brand thats actually reliable behind it. No clue why it was so cheap, its like 400 everywhere else.
It's cheap because you're buying it from a credit card scammer. They'll drop-ship it from the online store they purchase it from with a stolen CC.

I have that exact oven - highly recommended.

It's replaced my actual real oven for 99% of shit.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon