Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Looking for suggestions on purdying this up. Don't want to remove it and chance structural damage. It's the ramp from where previous owners closed in a carport.

Looking for suggestions on purdying this up. Don't want to remove it and chance structural damage. It's the ramp from where previous owners closed in a carport.

Have someone cut that bitch off and remove it. Although, that's gonna leave probably an inch sticking out.
Second thoought - run some nice brick around three sides of it(skip the side at the corner) and set a cute 2 seater bench on it. Hard to suggest not knowing how much yard is available, etc. Don't be shy - zoom out the view . . . :)

Nice brick job on the patch in to the house - thank Jesus. Reclaiming space by closing a carport be v. cool.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
Have someone cut that bitch off and remove it. Although, that's gonna leave probably an inch sticking out.
Second thoought - run some nice brick around three sides of it(skip the side at the corner) and set a cute 2 seater bench on it. Hard to suggest not knowing how much yard is available, etc. Don't be shy - zoom out the view . . . :)

Nice brick job on the patch in to the house - thank Jesus. Reclaiming space by closing a carport be v. cool.
These slabs I'm planning on replacing cause I don't like the pink color, but I'm not in a hurry about it. I would pressure was those but it would just make me hate them more.

These slabs I'm planning on replacing cause I don't like the pink color, but I'm not in a hurry about it. I would pressure was those but it would just make me hate them more.

I'm still on cut it off. It'll look like a piece of limestone sill, in an odd place. Hide it with some greenery. I here you on those slabs. I like the brick on your house.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
So... that fancy ass smart oven i bought a bit back from whirlpools innovation lab literally dissolved. There a humidity release vent by the right front leg that lets out 200-300 degree air slowly through a tortous path so its coolish by the time it exits.

That humidity release vent points at one of the plastic feet.

Apparently they are shit at material engineering, and picked a plastic that degrades with heat and/or humidity. the entire plastic structure around that vent has degraded to the point of literally dissolving. You can take a piece of the plastic and rub it between your fingers and it turns to dust.

Thats what you get when you let research engineers make stuff and sell it to the public :p

On the plus side, Whirlpool (after spending 5 months trying to get to the right person) agreed to do a complete buyback and pay me what i paid for it in full.
While that sucks, Whirlpool CS is fucking awesome. Everything is onshored, and takes place about 30 minutes from where I grew up in Michigan.

So, now im nerding out over this:

Found one brand new on ebay for 75 bucks and already ordered it, seems awesome as everything the Wlabs was supposed to be, but with a brand thats actually reliable behind it. No clue why it was so cheap, its like 400 everywhere else.
BTW, this is also the ATK top pick.

Ebay scam was scam :D

I've got my money back, but ill be receiving an 8oz package tomorrow. Its probably anthrax.

Boo, that one looked good, but i dont have the cash to drop 450 bucks on it.

• Haha
Reactions: Valve1138
No, brand names remain a convenient way to separate yuppies from their moneys.
I've got a bunch of Breville stuff. My GTI took premium gas, Esso gave triple aeroplan awards when you bought premium, and I used an Aeroplan visa + separate Aeroplan card and accumulated points stupid quick. Probably got 10% of my gas money in equivalent "buy home appliances" money.

Espresso maker + coffee maker work fabulous, though coffee is their bread and butter and I'd expect them not to fuck it up.

Blender has a couple dumb things I don't like - has a 60 second timer which is annoying if I'm making toum or whatever, and it pulses at high speed the moment you turn it on... I'd rather an on/off/pulse toggle switch and a speed control. But other than that it does a good job.

"Smart Oven Air" works great, it's an incredibly useful thing. It's replaced my actual oven for most things, and also does other odd jobs like drying out 3D filament.

I've almost got enough points to buy their ice cream maker, which is the type with a built in compressor vs the bowl you freeze in the freezer. But I got rid of the GTI + aeroplan visa so it might be another while yet.

After heating the water, cleaning yesterday's grounds out, and measuring out today's grounds. All while rushing to get ready to leave for work after I inevitably sat on the couch for too long.
That seems like a personal problem to me. I've used a French press for going on a decade now, and have no complaints.

Hell, I even use the grounds one time a week to knock whatever shit is built up in the garbage disposal loose.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie