Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Has anyone purchased a shed kit from Home Depot/Lowe's? I'm looking for something for my motorcycle. I've been looking at this 10x12 shed. Not sure if I should go for the 10x16 one instead.. Those things look massive though.
I've shipped a few hundred bikes - a shipping container is a hair under 10' wide and you can get all but a few massive bikes in there sideways. SO 10X12 would work.
Don't do a pad - critters will dig under and is not code in most areas. Get a few bros together, supply beer and pizza, dig a 2'+ deep trench 1' wide and make some shit forms to hold concrete. One row of bricks mortared to that and you have it off the ground, critterless and code. Have done this.

Has anyone purchased a shed kit from Home Depot/Lowe's? I'm looking for something for my motorcycle. I've been looking at this 10x12 shed. Not sure if I should go for the 10x16 one instead.. Those things look massive though.
the main gripe I always have about kit sheds is that the ceilings are too low as a cost cutting measure. A good base, as some have mentioned is the key to it lasting a long time and being sturdy, and thats not something thats included in the kit. In addition, be careful as a lot of the kits dont include shingles and roof sheathing. I put together a 20x20 stick build shed to the specs I wanted in about 1.5 weeks a bit back

those images on the 12x10 are ridiculously deceptive in terms of size. Even with the gambrel roof, its gonna be more like half the size that that "looks"

I thought about the concrete pad. It's not something I want to do because if I want to move or remove it, then the demo of the concrete would be insane. I was thinking of using concrete deck blocks with pressure treated wood.
deck blocks are ok, be aware you'll have to build a ramp for the shed as itll raise it up quite a bit.

Heres the one i built:

Advantages from self building

1) price, was about 1000 buck in materials
2) Customization (taller walls, i put a 3 foot overhang in the front as a rain shelter), sturdier materials (as i was planning to put a 2000 lb tractor in it originally)
3) Style, you can match the colors and trim to your house if its near it, or as i did, make it natural colors so it blends into the woods

Disadvantages

1) Time, it just takes longer
2) Tools, i had everything i need, but without a framing gun it would have taken a lot longer.

deck blocks are ok, be aware you'll have to build a ramp for the shed as itll raise it up quite a bit.

Heres the one i built:

Advantages from self building

1) price, was about 1000 buck in materials
2) Customization (taller walls, i put a 3 foot overhang in the front as a rain shelter), sturdier materials (as i was planning to put a 2000 lb tractor in it originally)
3) Style, you can match the colors and trim to your house if its near it, or as i did, make it natural colors so it blends into the woods

Disadvantages

1) Time, it just takes longer
2) Tools, i had everything i need, but without a framing gun it would have taken a lot longer.

Very nice.

those images on the 12x10 are ridiculously deceptive in terms of size. Even with the gambrel roof, its gonna be more like half the size that that "looks"
Well, the floor space for sure will be a little smaller, since that is exterior dimensions so there is no waste of their 4X8 material.

Well, the floor space for sure will be a little smaller, since that is exterior dimensions so there is no waste of their 4X8 material.

the images are totally deceptive. If nothing else, that htey post the same interior images for the 10x12 and the 10x16. But theres a ton of perspective going on there, low camera looking up to make it look bigger. I think Ex'ange mentioned he's like 6.4. That leaves 3-6 inches clearance to the rafters from his head because they do shady stuff like measure the "7 foot wall height" on the outside, not accounting for flooring and joist thickness

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
the images are totally deceptive. If nothing else, that htey post the same interior images for the 10x12 and the 10x16. But theres a ton of perspective going on there, low camera looking up to make it look bigger. I think Ex'ange mentioned he's like 6.4. That leaves 3-6 inches clearance to the rafters from his head because they do shady stuff like measure the "7 foot wall height" on the outside, not accounting for flooring and joist thickness
Most of the stores have dimensions online or (here) the HDs all have one of each shed kit on site, BUILT. Some of them are shit short but some definitely are not. Buyer beware.

@Ex' ange - no jumping in the shed if it's a shorty.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ex` ange and Domon
All ya'll that have built greenhouses, talk to me about plastic sheeting. Peanut's gym is closing down due to COVID and we need to make an exercise area at home. Theres no room in the house, so im looking to temporarily close in a section of our wraparound porch for a gym area thats not "fully outside" until COVID is done. What mil plastic do i need, etc?

All ya'll that have built greenhouses, talk to me about plastic sheeting. Peanut's gym is closing down due to COVID and we need to make an exercise area at home. Theres no room in the house, so im looking to temporarily close in a section of our wraparound porch for a gym area thats not "fully outside" until COVID is done. What mil plastic do i need, etc?

We have this. Sturdy, works well. Easy to work with. It's held onto the green house with battons.

Amazon product ASIN B07V6MPZTY

I thought about the concrete pad. It's not something I want to do because if I want to move or remove it, then the demo of the concrete would be insane. I was thinking of using concrete deck blocks with pressure treated wood.
I think considering your objectives(able to move/remove) the deck blocks are a good choice. A little fugly and soemthing to run the mower into. But cost and time effective AF. Most critters would probably feel too exposed to actually build a nest under it. traps are cheap if they do.

Why the hell was she in the gym in the first place? A place where people are breathing heavy seems like just about the worst place to go.

Why the hell was she in the gym in the first place? A place where people are breathing heavy seems like just about the worst place to go.

Yeah, i get you. They were down to 25% capacity, masks at all times, regular covid tests and restricted groups. It was a pretty serious calculated risk, but for health reasons one we chose to take.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly