Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

im outta fuckin space in both my subpanel (16 slot) and main box (20 slot).

The correct solution would be to upgrade and combine the whole thing to a big 200a capable 42 slot box, but thats a fuckton of work.

So... im combining circuits instead even though id rather not. I previously had each rooms outlets on a circuit, which was really nice, but im gonna have to merge some rooms.

In my complete overkill previous version i had each average room on two breakers, one for lights, one for outlets. Obvious exceptions for kitchens and baths and stuff
Holy shit your house is a lot of work. :lol:

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Time to put the kids to work!
im gunshy right now :/ they were outside with me working and the big metal bulkhead door to the basement fell closed and clocked the 2 year old in the side of the head. She was ok, but man that was scary. I had just stuck my head down for 5 seconds to quickly turn off the water. Completely my fault for not securing the door.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
I bet your fans love that.
Yeah, if you turned down the dimmer the fan made a buzzing racket from all the line harmonics, sounded like an overloaded substation transformer. It had three non-dimmable CFLs in it, too, which would freak out and flash too.

Light dimmers are supposed to be for sexytime mood lighting, not BZZZZZZ FLASH FLASH FLASH HORRORSHOW

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jehannum and fly
im gunshy right now :/ they were outside with me working and the big metal bulkhead door to the basement fell closed and clocked the 2 year old in the side of the head. She was ok, but man that was scary. I had just stuck my head down for 5 seconds to quickly turn off the water. Completely my fault for not securing the door.
My dad dropped a cement board on a sister and she had to have stitches. It happens to everyone.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh and wetwillie
Took out the cheapy Visonic MCT door/window sensors. Put in Aqara that are Zigbee but do Homekit with a hub.

Aqara is nice in that it doesn't need an account, you can set it for HomeKit only mode.

If the batteries last a year I'll consider it a win. The Visonics ate batteries.

Also just up and removed the Smartthings hub from HA since it's no longer needed. The dashboard hasn't updated so there's a bunch of missing entities. Oops.

Took out the cheapy Visonic MCT door/window sensors. Put in Aqara that are Zigbee but do Homekit with a hub.

Aqara is nice in that it doesn't need an account, you can set it for HomeKit only mode.

If the batteries last a year I'll consider it a win. The Visonics ate batteries.

Also just up and removed the Smartthings hub from HA since it's no longer needed. The dashboard hasn't updated so there's a bunch of missing entities. Oops.
It wasn't entire obvious to me at first, but there is a way to delete them all en masse.

Huh, my visonics are all like 2 years in on the original batts

It wasn't entire obvious to me at first, but there is a way to delete them all en masse.

Delete what? Entities? They don't show up anymore since I 86'ed the Smartthings Hub.

Even when I just deleted on sensor in the actual SM app it wouldn't update HA and delete itself.

:iono:

All HA does for me is stick the Konnected board into Homekit at this point.

That seems odd that they would poll battery devices at all. I would assume the devices themselves report in at their programmed interval or when something changes. Are you sure that's the case?
zwave thats the case. The earlier barely-ha1.2 compliant zigbee stuff had a lot of quirks.

The MCT-340s quirk is that theyre actually a multi sensor device. They report temperature too, which is an awesome feature, but its a pollable feature rather than an on-event report feature.

Made a roadtrip Friday to go help my son with more shit on his shitty house. It was constructed in three phases of: 1914, 1940, 1972. Yesterday I was cutting holes through 1914s walls to run 2 more heat runs and two cold air returns, a ittle plumbing and some electrical. FUck do I hate houses built 100 years ago when they would just use the trees on hand for lumber - entire f'n wall framed with oak and maple 2Xs, which are usually more like 3Xs and hard as fuck. Probably some hickory in there too. And those wicked, untempered ancient nails.. Probably blew through $40 of reciprocating saw blades "handles embedded nails" my ass. And their furnace - who the hell cuts down the cold air return opening to be smaller? Furnace has a 20X25 opening, some fucktard through an abortion of sheet metal made it into a 16X20. That's a 40% reduction in air flow. I'll take careful measurements and have my local guy do the sheet metal, then I'll install it on my next visit.
Slept on an oversize beanbag-like thing last 2 nights - busting my ass AND feeling like crap from poor sleep. Doing the hotel again next trip.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Josh