Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

You know how you are. :lol: IM SETTING IT UP THIS WAY CAUSE THATS THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE
I didn't know anything about RTSP until I started reading about zoneminder, so I assumed that I was just supposed to use the software that came embedded in the cameras, which is what motivated the "what's a good CMS" question.

Now that I know better, I have different options.

I'm still not going to "SAVE IT TO THE CLOUD AND LET AMAZON SORT IT OUT" or whatever it is your dildocams on the doorknobs do.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
I didn't know anything about RTSP until I started reading about zoneminder, so I assumed that I was just supposed to use the software that came embedded in the cameras, which is what motivated the "what's a good CMS" question.

I'm still not going to "SAVE IT TO THE CLOUD AND LET AMAZON SORT IT OUT" or whatever it is your dildocams on the doorknobs do.
Google. It gets saved by Google. 24/7 recording for 30 days and motion triggers for 60. I'm not storing all that, but they will for four cameras for $100/year.

your language search is off. You want an NVR (network video recorder) or a VMS (video management system)

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Went through another vacuum (shark IQ auto empty) after the roborock return, and now we're on a third, back to a mid-low end roomba (e5).

What ive determined is that suction and technical ratings dont mean shit compared to the fundamental features that roomba has patented. The shark IQ is 23 CFM, the highest on the market, and after running it 3 times (bin nearly empty on last time), and then running the roomba, the roomba picked up two full bins of additional stuff.

The stuff roomba has patented that seems to make all the difference

1) dual rubber brush rollers. I think why this is so important is that they create a suction "zone" thats tiny, and therefore way more powerful even with less overall suction. The front roller is slightly lower than the back roller, and it creates a seal which the debris is behind. They also get zero hair buildup, although the shark was pretty good about that too despite being brushed.

2) Automatic height adjustment of wheels. The roomba essentially has a mechanical suspension that raises the wheels really high to clear obstacles, or drops them all the way to the floor to really put the brushes and body of the vacuum in low profile mode. This eliminates it getting stuck anywhere, and also increases the cleaning profile by bringing it down really low

3) Not patented, but just manufacturing oriented. Roombas are still built like tanks. Both the roborock and shark were plastic toys by comparison.

Roomba navigation leaves a lot to be desired, but navigation matters very little if it doesnt actually clean. A roomba with lidar would be the king of things. But it would probably cost 1500 bucks too. Shits expensive

Went through another vacuum (shark IQ auto empty) after the roborock return, and now we're on a third, back to a mid-low end roomba (e5).

What ive determined is that suction and technical ratings dont mean shit compared to the fundamental features that roomba has patented. The shark IQ is 23 CFM, the highest on the market, and after running it 3 times (bin nearly empty on last time), and then running the roomba, the roomba picked up two full bins of additional stuff.

The stuff roomba has patented that seems to make all the difference

1) dual rubber brush rollers. I think why this is so important is that they create a suction "zone" thats tiny, and therefore way more powerful even with less overall suction. The front roller is slightly lower than the back roller, and it creates a seal which the debris is behind. They also get zero hair buildup, although the shark was pretty good about that too despite being brushed.

2) Automatic height adjustment of wheels. The roomba essentially has a mechanical suspension that raises the wheels really high to clear obstacles, or drops them all the way to the floor to really put the brushes and body of the vacuum in low profile mode. This eliminates it getting stuck anywhere, and also increases the cleaning profile by bringing it down really low

3) Not patented, but just manufacturing oriented. Roombas are still built like tanks. Both the roborock and shark were plastic toys by comparison.

Roomba navigation leaves a lot to be desired, but navigation matters very little if it doesnt actually clean. A roomba with lidar would be the king of things. But it would probably cost 1500 bucks too. Shits expensive

How do the roombas deal with cat puke?

Oh, while not patented, i learned that many robot vacuums cant back up, and rather perform a weird rotation by spinning one wheel to turn around.

I noticed this being a big detriment for crossing thresholds with both the roborock and the shark. But really, the biggest difference with the roomba is the ability to adjust its wheel height.

Oh, while not patented, i learned that many robot vacuums cant back up, and rather perform a weird rotation by spinning one wheel to turn around.

I noticed this being a big detriment for crossing thresholds with both the roborock and the shark. But really, the biggest difference with the roomba is the ability to adjust its wheel height.
The roborock can backup. Not only to get unstuck, but it does it to dock...