Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Rewired the whole kitchen this past week mostly bringing up to code..

4 quad outlet sets along the counter, GFCI, with one half of the quad on one 20A circuit, and the other half on another. Dedicated vent hood and dishwasher circuits, New lighting circuit for under counter lighting, re-ran the 220v stove circuit to have a proper plug at floor level in the wall

All true 20a, TR receptacles

I think im mostly up to code now. Ive still gotta make the fridge circuit 20A, but thats easy enough to do, i dont have to go in the crawlspace to do that one.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh and fly
Rewired the whole kitchen this past week mostly bringing up to code..

4 quad outlet sets along the counter, GFCI, with one half of the quad on one 20A circuit, and the other half on another. Dedicated vent hood and dishwasher circuits, New lighting circuit for under counter lighting, re-ran the 220v stove circuit to have a proper plug at floor level in the wall

All true 20a, TR receptacles

I think im mostly up to code now. Ive still gotta make the fridge circuit 20A, but thats easy enough to do, i dont have to go in the crawlspace to do that one.
I can't recall if we've actually discussed this before, but are you legally allowed to do this?

I can't recall if we've actually discussed this before, but are you legally allowed to do this?
legally the most advanced thing i can do is change a lightbulb.

And unfortunately if an inspector does check, he'll know ive done it unpermitted because of the date code on the wires. But i do everything to the absolute letter of the code, so hopefully the inspector wouldnt resort to that.

Ill take that risk though to be safe. Most of the wiring i'm replacing looks like this;

IMG_4053.jpg

and just isnt safe. Or to code.

The work i did in the past couple days would have billed out at roughly 3-5k most likely, just cant afford to pay someone to do it.

Ill take that risk though to be safe. Most of the wiring i'm replacing looks like this;

IMG_4053.jpg

and just isnt safe. Or to code.

The work i did in the past couple days would have billed out at roughly 3-5k most likely, just cant afford to pay someone to do it.
Not trying to throw shade, just wondering. <3

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Here in Canada, you can DIY it all yourself and have an electrician sign off on it. I did that when I built the shed on the old property.

I'm sure most people just do it themselves and nobody cares until a house burns down.

Frig knows I've changed enough stuff in the new house, where everything that shouldn't be on a dimmer switch is on a fucking dimmer switch. Like outdoor outlets and ceiling fans.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
Here in Canada, you can DIY it all yourself and have an electrician sign off on it. I did that when I built the shed on the old property.

I'm sure most people just do it themselves and nobody cares until a house burns down.

Frig knows I've changed enough stuff in the new house, where everything that shouldn't be on a dimmer switch is on a fucking dimmer switch. Like outdoor outlets and ceiling fans.
I bet your fans love that.

The work i did in the past couple days would have billed out at roughly 3-5k most likely, just cant affor
Apparently in Australia, they don't use gang boxes. :wtf:

if i remember right its all essentially surface mount.

There are parts of europe where the standard way to run wires is to carve a groove out of your plaster/stone/stucco internal wall, stick the wire in there, and plaster over it.

• Barf
  • Gravy
Reactions: Josh and wetwillie
im outta fuckin space in both my subpanel (16 slot) and main box (20 slot).

The correct solution would be to upgrade and combine the whole thing to a big 200a capable 42 slot box, but thats a fuckton of work.

So... im combining circuits instead even though id rather not. I previously had each rooms outlets on a circuit, which was really nice, but im gonna have to merge some rooms.

In my complete overkill previous version i had each average room on two breakers, one for lights, one for outlets. Obvious exceptions for kitchens and baths and stuff

im outta fuckin space in both my subpanel (16 slot) and main box (20 slot).

The correct solution would be to upgrade and combine the whole thing to a big 200a capable 42 slot box, but thats a fuckton of work.

So... im combining circuits instead even though id rather not. I previously had each rooms outlets on a circuit, which was really nice, but im gonna have to merge some rooms.

In my complete overkill previous version i had each average room on two breakers, one for lights, one for outlets. Obvious exceptions for kitchens and baths and stuff

What brands of panels?

Tandems are probably and option.

What brands of panels?

Tandems are probably and option.
qo, so yeah, i could do some tandems. gotta go look at the panel to see how much its actually rated for in circuits.

I'm almost there, gotta merge 2 more circuits to get down to where i need to be (24 single pole, 6 double pole)

Descriptionoptimized pairingscomments
Attic lights1
Upstairs hallway lights1
Downstairs hallway lights1
Front Bedroom Lights2
Master Bedroom Lights2
Back Bedroom Lights3
Back room lights4
Dining Room Lights4
Kitchen Lights5
Living Room Lights5
Bathroom lights6
Fridge Outlets7no merge allowed
Under Sink Outlet (dishwasher)8no merge allowed
Basement and outdoor outlet9
Downstairs Hallway outlet10
dining room outlets10
Counter Outlets 111no merge allowed
Counter Outlets 212no merge allowed
Bathroom Outlets13
Back Room Outlets14
Back Bedroom Outlets15
Front Bedroom Outlets15
Living Room Outlets16
Master Bedroom Outlets17
Basement Lights18
Motion lights/Porch outlets19
Lamp Post and Porch Light19
Server Closet Outlet20
Furnace21no merge allowed
Barn circuit 122no merge allowed
Barn circuit 223no merge allowed
Shed Circuit 124no merge allowed
Shed Circuit 225no merge allowed
vent hood outlet26
A/C Unit27double breaker
Stove Outlet28double breaker
Water Heater29double breaker
Well Pump30double breaker
Dryer Outlet31double breaker
Sub Panel32double breaker

qo, so yeah, i could do some tandems. gotta go look at the panel to see how much its actually rated for in circuits.

I'm almost there, gotta merge 2 more circuits to get down to where i need to be (24 single pole, 6 double pole)

Descriptionoptimized pairingscomments
Attic lights1
Upstairs hallway lights1
Downstairs hallway lights1
Front Bedroom Lights2
Master Bedroom Lights2
Back Bedroom Lights3
Back room lights4
Dining Room Lights4
Kitchen Lights5
Living Room Lights5
Bathroom lights6
Fridge Outlets7no merge allowed
Under Sink Outlet (dishwasher)8no merge allowed
Basement and outdoor outlet9
Downstairs Hallway outlet10
dining room outlets10
Counter Outlets 111no merge allowed
Counter Outlets 212no merge allowed
Bathroom Outlets13
Back Room Outlets14
Back Bedroom Outlets15
Front Bedroom Outlets15
Living Room Outlets16
Master Bedroom Outlets17
Basement Lights18
Motion lights/Porch outlets19
Lamp Post and Porch Light19
Server Closet Outlet20
Furnace21no merge allowed
Barn circuit 122no merge allowed
Barn circuit 223no merge allowed
Shed Circuit 124no merge allowed
Shed Circuit 225no merge allowed
vent hood outlet26
A/C Unit27double breaker
Stove Outlet28double breaker
Water Heater29double breaker
Well Pump30double breaker
Dryer Outlet31double breaker
Sub Panel32double breaker
What about the dungeon? Don't you need lights to harvest the skin of your victims and enemies?

• Gravy
Reactions: fly