Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Learn from me for trenching

1) know where your leach field is (you already got that)
2) Dont cut within the critical root zone of any trees you remotely care about (you're pretty open if i remember right)
3) When you've got it trenched, spend the extra money and run additional shit

Additional shit

1) 1 inch water line
1a) put a 4 dollar pressure activated drain at the lowest point in the line near the garden so you dont have to winterize
2) Motherfuckin conduit, big stuff. 1.5 inch minimum
3) individual THHN or THWN as appropriate 10ga wiring. Seriously, dont do UF. Its derated too much for a big run like that, and costs more than the conduit and individual thhn.
3) Data. Run 3 shielded ethernet wires, either in the conduit (yeah, technically against code and will take a slight hit in speed due to AC fields, but eh)

I've recently been going to a local shop called Highland Rent-All, which is about 2/3rds the price of HD for a more robust machine.

It's been especially convenient because all their machines are on trailers, which I'm now able to tow behind the Audi.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and Domon
Home Depot doesn't have any trenchers for rent anywhere around here.
If memory serves, I did my trencher at Frank's Rentals. I was doing the sprinkler system and water supply line at my old house.

Frank's was advantageous because they primarily rent during the week, and if you have a really big job, you can rent on Friday at noon, be charged the half-day rental fee, and return it on Monday morning before open.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
Home Depot doesn't have any trenchers for rent anywhere around here.
theyve got hte mini ones (6 inch depth), which are good in their own rite. I did my sprinkler system with one of those. But for the big boys, yeah, thats industrial shit.

My parents just sold their house of 40 years. Even in small town Utah (a thousand people) it only took two days and they are doing for sale by owner. Now they have to hurry and finish their new house so they can move before Dec 1.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
My parents just sold their house of 40 years. Even in small town Utah (a thousand people) it only took two days and they are doing for sale by owner. Now they have to hurry and finish their new house so they can move before Dec 1.
I bought this house on one of those agreements "you have to wait until we are done with the new house." My daughters and I camped in an flea-bag apartment for 4 months, waiting. Prayers/positive vibes construction proceeds quickly - and on time.

Ikea Tradfri stuff is compatible with HA and works well from what I've read.

I'm particularly interested in the buttons.

The Eve buttons we have eat batteries.
Samsung buttons are awesome. As are the Xiaomi buttons. Tons of options.

By far the thing I'm most impressed with is the Xiaomi motion sensors. They are by far the smallest, and batteries last 1+ years. You can stick them anywhere.

home assistant fuckin sucks at zigbee @fly

Also, im really missing the concept of smartapps. Integrations are device handlers, but you're left to code all your own automations individually. Thers nothing like Ecobee Suite or Rboys lock apps, etc.

yeah I sold a house once without the new one being ready to move into yet and had to stay at the in-laws for 3 months

never
again
holy shit
Everything that’s left they are basically doing themselves. My dad just has to hurry and finish the houses he’s committed to for work then he can focus 100% on finishing theirs. It’s gonna be a stressful 6 weeks but luckily they have 5 kids close by that can help with finishing the new house and packing the old one.

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie