Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

was finally redoing the skirting on the back "room" of the house, which is really just an enclosed porch that they insulated at some point. Its held up with shit like this:

Most of em are solid, and im not gonna fuck with them for now, but this one corner just wasnt supporting shit. There was an entire 7x11 corner of the porch that was just floating in air.

Dug out 18 inches deep, geotextile, 15 inches of rock, then jacked up the corner with a farm jack and put 5 blocks in place to replace the crumbling bullshit above.

1601907794941.png

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
was finally redoing the skirting on the back "room" of the house, which is really just an enclosed porch that they insulated at some point. Its held up with shit like this:

Most of em are solid, and im not gonna fuck with them for now, but this one corner just wasnt supporting shit. There was an entire 7x11 corner of the porch that was just floating in air.

Dug out 18 inches deep, geotextile, 15 inches of rock, then jacked up the corner with a farm jack and put 5 blocks in place to replace the crumbling bullshit above.

View attachment 12614

You know that cinderblock is just going to disintegrate in the ground, right?

Why not a sonotube and short piece of pressure treated 8x8?

time. Also, compared to the 8 other piers that look like the one that fell apart, it would be overkill. one superior support and 8 poor supports doesnt make sense. So i did one mediocre support that i could put together in an hour.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Since we moved in 5 years ago I had thought a previous owner had left a big box of 12-2 UF because it was grey.

Finally looked at it to day because I want to run a line down to the farm.

Fucking wire is NM-B. :rolleyes:

At least 12/2 UF isn't bad these days price wise.

Looking at $150 for wire, conduit, boxes, clamps, covers, etc.

And then the labor to get the wire the 120' down there.

Since we moved in 5 years ago I had thought a previous owner had left a big box of 12-2 UF because it was grey.

Finally looked at it to day because I want to run a line down to the farm.

Fucking wire is NM-B. :rolleyes:

At least 12/2 UF isn't bad these days price wise.

Looking at $150 for wire, conduit, boxes, clamps, covers, etc.

And then the labor to get the wire the 120' down there.

Rent a trencher. ITs worth it.

Also, what the hell you gonna be running at the "farm" (lol). A fence charger? your bluetooth speaker?

Charge controller. Solar panels. Racking.

Not doing that for under $150.

ok, go ahead and spend 40 hours digging 150 feet of 48 inch deep trench then.

Or rent the trencher. For money.

If you're gonna trench, run some 1 inch poly water line (or pvc if you're feeling fancy, pex if doublefancy) at the same time, thats an actually useful thing to have at the garden