Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Look at a thread cleaning kit before you hit it with a die
Amazon product ASIN B000XJ48V0
hey, this worked great. That shaft was all kindsa fucked up, it basically acted as a die to be honest, but it cut nice clean threads and renewed the shaft so the part went back on clean.

Expensive as hell though for the 2 minutes it took me to do it.
rter, and one of the pawls on the drive shaft clutch was missing).
Weed eater has never run better, even when it was brand new. It starts halfway through the first pull from cold now, used to take 3 pulls (which is nothing to complain about). Im wondering if it was always a little busted since i bought it refurbed (weak spring in the recoil sta

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Went in to a local hardware store Friday to avoid big box stores, ordered plywood for the boat.
"It'll be in in Tuesday, let me get your name and number."
Tuesday I get a call "Our truck got in late, it'll be a couple hours to unload, I'll call you tomorrow when it is ready."
No call Wednesday. Busy with work, no worries. Load the dogs up to get them out of the house and head up there today on my lunch break.
Guy behind the counter isn't the guy I talked to, says he sold three sheets of it.
"..... you ordered that stuff in for me, and you sold it?"
"Did you pre-pay for it?"
"No, no one told me to. Was it ordered under my name and phone number?"
"It was, but we can't hold it if you didn't pay for it."
Some under the breath mumbling and cursing occurred.
"I need 4 sheets. I need you to order 4 sheets for me. I will pay for it now."
I pay, I drive home irritated beyond belief.

I get all the way home and receive a phone call. Its the guy that I originally talked to, he ordered 7 sheets, 3 for that other guy and 4 for me. He guaranteed they were in stock, so I unload the dogs and go to pick it up.

The most annoying thing, the little nutsack that initially talked to me didn't apologize at all for making me take an unnecessary drive. Tried to make some excuse about how they bundled the wood differently.

Went in to a local hardware store Friday to avoid big box stores, ordered plywood for the boat.
"It'll be in in Tuesday, let me get your name and number."
Tuesday I get a call "Our truck got in late, it'll be a couple hours to unload, I'll call you tomorrow when it is ready."
No call Wednesday. Busy with work, no worries. Load the dogs up to get them out of the house and head up there today on my lunch break.
Guy behind the counter isn't the guy I talked to, says he sold three sheets of it.
"..... you ordered that stuff in for me, and you sold it?"
"Did you pre-pay for it?"
"No, no one told me to. Was it ordered under my name and phone number?"
"It was, but we can't hold it if you didn't pay for it."
Some under the breath mumbling and cursing occurred.
"I need 4 sheets. I need you to order 4 sheets for me. I will pay for it now."
I pay, I drive home irritated beyond belief.

I get all the way home and receive a phone call. Its the guy that I originally talked to, he ordered 7 sheets, 3 for that other guy and 4 for me. He guaranteed they were in stock, so I unload the dogs and go to pick it up.

The most annoying thing, the little nutsack that initially talked to me didn't apologize at all for making me take an unnecessary drive. Tried to make some excuse about how they bundled the wood differently.
our local store here (Ace) has two super-knowledgeable employees, and 17 high school kids. The high school kids function is to check you out, and to find the knowledgeable employee when you have a question.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and Josh
Setting 4x4 posts in Quickcrete.

So easy a cave man can do it?

Pretty much.

I put a decent size rock in the bottom of the hole, or pour a little crete in there and let it get half setup, then put the post in and fill.

It's so the bottom, cut end of the post is also encased in crete. Lasts longer. Doesn't leave a path for moisture/rot to get in the post from the bottom.

Cut some rings out of pvc or do something to form the crete up an inch or so above grade for the same reason. Water flows away and doesn't soak in and rot the post at ground level.

Pull a level line and cut off the tops after all that's set.

J's j-bolt way is good as well. Little more hardware and tinkering up front. Easier to replace when you're 25 years older and fucking around digging holes and messing with concrete is a more difficult task than it is now.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
To avoid rot you are supposed to not use concrete. I forget specifics, but basics are a nice sized hole, shitload of gravel in the bottom to rest the 4x4 on and for water to drain, then fill the hole with dirt.

gravel the whole way is best, must some people dont like that look

gravel the whole way is best, must some people dont like that look

It still gets washed in with dirt over the years and rots off.
IME concrete ( the way I explained it ) and treated lumber is good for about as long as it takes to birth kids, get them out on their own, then sell and downsize.

J's j-bolt way good for at least as long if not longer and easier to replace.

Treated doesn't mean lifetime, it just takes longer to rot.

The only "lifetime" post I've seen is a railroad tie. We used them for braced corner posts for long runs of tightly stretched woven and barbed wire cattle fence.

The other might be old cedar/mesquite/whatever posts cut out of scrub brush in the dry climates of the Old West where it's dry enough they pretty much sun bleached and semi-petrified instead of rotting.

Everything else has a lifespan shorter than humans.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh