Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Are mulch blades all that different? I just pulled the regular mower blade off, filed the crap out of it until it was kind of sharp (there's 0 need for razor sharp that will be gone after the first cutting), & put it back on. Yep, it wasn't a flawless balance. Yep I could replace the blade cheap when it was too far out of balance.

It's a different shape.

Are mulch blades all that different? I just pulled the regular mower blade off, filed the crap out of it until it was kind of sharp (there's 0 need for razor sharp that will be gone after the first cutting), & put it back on. Yep, it wasn't a flawless balance. Yep I could replace the blade cheap when it was too far out of balance.
I'm not getting it either. Just set it the center hole on a ballbearing and see how it balances. The curve shouldn't matter, you don't sharpen that side of the blade anyway - that would be as stupid as sharpening the top of chainsaw teeth instead of the face.

I'm not getting it either. Just set it the center hole on a ballbearing and see how it balances. The curve shouldn't matter, you don't sharpen that side of the blade anyway - that would be as stupid as sharpening the top of chainsaw teeth instead of the face.
Ball bearings are overrated for mower blade balancing. I stand 'em on a piece of angle iron and see how they do from side to side, and go.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Ball bearings are overrated for mower blade balancing. I stand 'em on a piece of angle iron and see how they do from side to side, and go.
I'm not getting it either. Just set it the center hole on a ballbearing and see how it balances.

Guise, not really sure you know the degree of sophistication I employ for balancing.

A pencil. Stick a pencil through the hole and hold the blade stable with the other hand & let go of the blade. if it doesn't move, turn the blade 90 degrees and see if it moves. No move, yer done. If it moves, whichever side moves down, file it a little more 'cuz it's heavier, then grab the pencil again.

:lol:

Guise, not really sure you know the degree of sophistication I employ for balancing.

A pencil. Stick a pencil through the hole and hold the blade stable with the other hand & let go of the blade. if it doesn't move, turn the blade 90 degrees and see if it moves. No move, yer done. If it moves, whichever side moves down, file it a little more 'cuz it's heavier, then grab the pencil again.

:lol:
Close enough on any of these methods imo. *I could hyperfocus and ask if you are using a round pencil or a standard #2 hex shape.:fly:
meh, it's fucked after that first pebble anyway.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel and Jehannum
Close enough on any of these methods imo. *I could hyperfocus and ask if you are using a round pencil or a standard #2 hex shape.:fly:
meh, it's fucked after that first pebble anyway.
What's fucked is that I've got a tub full of retired heavy machinery bearings (all >3 cm diameters), and I never thought to pull one of those out to do the job.

It's just a damn lawn mower not the space shuttle. Just tip it up and get under there with your hand grinder and put an edge on it. Don't even have to take the blade off. A pillow feathers worth of imbalance doesn't mean shit. It's gonna be dull again in 15 minutes anyway.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
It's just a damn lawn mower not the space shuttle. Just tip it up and get under there with your hand grinder and put an edge on it. Don't even have to take the blade off. A pillow feathers worth of imbalance doesn't mean shit. It's gonna be dull again in 15 minutes anyway.
I'm more worried about the longevity of my lawn mower engine with an imbalanced blade than I am about the sharpness.