Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

more people need to use asphalt millings. Cheaper than gravel and doesnt tear up in winter. Doesnt grow weeds like gravel either
We've tried them several times on our private road and they just disappear into the super sandy base, never to re-appear in any form. Maybe on a harder base they would hold up - I know a lot of people swear by them. I finally convinced the other homeowners to go with crushed limestone, that seems to go about 4 years before it's crap. For my personal driveway I distributed 40 bags of portland cement on the main 250' coming in and worked in with the harrow mat. Shit's been wearing like steel. I did similar at last house because the city would rake away the gravel in front of my concrete drive when they graded, causing all the street dirt to float onto my lawn in a heavy rain. Screw that - shaped that area how I wanted, wet it and no more of that shit. Grader blade would just hop right over it.:fly:

Last edited:
We've tried them several times on our private road and they just disappear into the super sandy base, never to re-appear in any form. Maybe on a harder base they would hold up - I know a lot of people swear by them. I finally convinced the other homeowners to go with crushed limestone, that seems to go about 4 years before it's crap. For my personal driveway I distributed 40 bags of portland cement on the main 250' coming in and worked in with the harrow mat. Shit's been wearing like steel. I did similar at last house because the city would rake away the gravel in front of my concrete drive when they graded, causing all the street dirt to float onto my lawn in a heavy rain. Screw that - shaped that area how I wanted, wet it and no more of that shit. Grader blade would just hop right over it.:fly:
oh, well like any projects you have to have a good base. A good base can be a foot of asphalt millings though.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
oh, well like any projects you have to have a good base. A good base can be a foot of asphalt millings though.
Agreed. Unfortunately, my neighbors are so cheap that only 3 out of the 9 households will contribute to road maintenance in any fashion. I don't think they are broke, the houses are all over $350k. And everybody has their toys.

asphalt millings is 100 bucks a 20 ton load here.... delivered. That barely pays diesel for the truck. It is the cheapest substrate possible.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
you can do a MILE of 18 foot wide road, 10 inches deep (After compaction), for 12000 bucks.

Granted, a good bobcat operator will probably double that to distribute and roll it. But still, tahts 10X cheaper than even a gravel road.

asphalt millings is 100 bucks a 20 ton load here.... delivered. That barely pays diesel for the truck. It is the cheapest substrate possible.
You're on the east coast - lots of tar and tar pits on that side of country so it's cheaper. Millings are $20/yard here, crushed limestone is $20/. Generic gravel is $10/. AA or AAA gravel is $15.
**Asphalt millings are considered really bad for the environment since the binder is all broken down. Seeps into groundwater. Haven't seen them lay a fresh asphalt road here in years although they still do parking lots and driveways with. Everything else is concrete.

you can spray it with sealer/diesel/etc to reactivate the binders too and itll lock up into pseudo-hardtop.
Guess your generation will be accused of ruining the environment too. The deisel isn't going to work that quickly - seems like it would constitute a spill of diesel until both diesel and asphalt are bound.

you can spray it with sealer/diesel/etc to reactivate the binders too and itll lock up into pseudo-hardtop.
Dad always swept up the loose stuff from our driveway and dumped it into the drip pan under his truck. Once the oil had absorbed into the asphalt detritus he'd dump it in the low-points of the driveway.

You're on the east coast - lots of tar and tar pits on that side of country so it's cheaper. Millings are $20/yard here, crushed limestone is $20/. Generic gravel is $10/. AA or AAA gravel is $15.
**Asphalt millings are considered really bad for the environment since the binder is all broken down. Seeps into groundwater. Haven't seen them lay a fresh asphalt road here in years although they still do parking lots and driveways with. Everything else is concrete.

Guess your generation will be accused of ruining the environment too. The deisel isn't going to work that quickly - seems like it would constitute a spill of diesel until both diesel and asphalt are bound.
oh, its absolutely horrible for the environment to spray it with diesel. You definitely should not do that. Itll work, but you shouldnt do it.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
oh, its absolutely horrible for the environment to spray it with diesel. You definitely should not do that. Itll work, but you shouldnt do it.
You had me worried.:eek:
Used to be, everybody kept their old motor oil to kill the weeds around their chain link fence, driveways and shit. Oh that would net you such a f'n fine these days. As it should.
*I'm killing some stuff these days with 30% vinegar, but that's for another thread. ;)