Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

I have to buy dimensional lumber at Home Depot tomorrow.

God help me.
well, firstoff, dont do that. Go to lowes or jf johnson or 86 lumber.

I had a very out of place experience with my last dimensional lumber buy from lowes. I placed the order online, and let them pick it (always a poor choice). 8 2x10x16s, 16 2x3x8s, few other random boards. Interior grade, no pressure treated.

I was flat out amazed when every single board was completely true, knot free and just overall great quality. Best dimensional lumber ive ever seen at a box store.

I had a very out of place experience with my last dimensional lumber buy from lowes. I placed the order online, and let them pick it (always a poor choice). 8 2x10x16s, 16 2x3x8s, few other random boards. Interior grade, no pressure treated.

I was flat out amazed when every single board was completely true, knot free and just overall great quality. Best dimensional lumber ive ever seen at a box store.
I buy from a local place called Hunter-Bower lumber. I can call the order in, pay for it over the phone, and then they'll deliver it that afternoon for free, and it's always straight, knot free, and dry.

Granted, they cost a little more than lowes, but not much (like 10%), and I don't have to burn my gas getting to and from, or figure out how to load 2x4x8 or 2x4x12 into my little piddly NON-PROFESSIONAL-GRADE automobile.

I've always been terrified to do that. Maybe I'll try it next time. I suppose if they're pulling from the back stock, maybe only the shitty stuff actually ends up on the floor.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I've always been terrified to do that. Maybe I'll try it next time. I suppose if they're pulling from the back stock, maybe only the shitty stuff actually ends up on the floor.
Shit on the floor may or may not have been picked through by several peep before you - luck of the draw. And you have the fellow customers who range from the guys who just grab off the top of the pile(thanks guys, clear out that trash!), to the ones who glare at you like "WTF, you think you are just leaving the crap boards for someone else!?" Yes.

Happiness is being the first man on a pallet of virgin wood.:hi2u:

Shit on the floor may or may not have been picked through by several peep before you - luck of the draw. And you have the fellow customers who range from the guys who just grab off the top of the pile(thanks guys, clear out that trash!), to the ones who glare at you like "WTF, you think you are just leaving the crap boards for someone else!?" Yes.

Exactly. Which is why Im saying that @Domon's guy was probably not pulling from floor stock and therefore got better shit.

• Gravy
entirely depends on the employee. Typical employee is gonna pull whatevers on top cause they dont give a shit, doesnt matter if its the shape of a damn rainbow. I think i just got a good employee that one time. Every otehr time ive had to swap almost every board

• Gravy

employees probably hate me for it, but if there like 20 boards or less left and theyre all crap, ill cut open the new palletized rack and pull from it.

employees probably hate me for it, but if there like 20 boards or less left and theyre all crap, ill cut open the new palletized rack and pull from it.
Probably?

it's like a ritual dance.

employee: why did you open that?
me: Well, the last of that palette is picked over because it's not all that great.
employee: We're not supposed to open a new palette/box/etc until that is gone tho.
me: it looks pretty gone to me tho.
employee: well, [and my favorite faux customer service line of all time. . . . drum roll please. . . ] just this one time, as a courtesy, then. . .

:lol:

• Gravy
It's nice working with straight lumber.

I repurposed my old production console for the worktop. I've got a 5' plug mold strip for the front 2x4 on the left bench.

19011682IMG0377.jpg

Probably?

it's like a ritual dance.

employee: why did you open that?
me: Well, the last of that palette is picked over because it's not all that great.
employee: We're not supposed to open a new palette/box/etc until that is gone tho.
me: it looks pretty gone to me tho.
employee: well, [and my favorite faux customer service line of all time. . . . drum roll please. . . ] just this one time, as a courtesy, then. . .

:lol:
oh, i dont ask. I just cut it open myself.

Anyone know if I can take that old Version Demarc down without going to federal pound me in the ass prison?

The phone wires are still hooked up to it, and then it to the ONT, but we don't have a house phone and I can't see use getting one.

I'd like to wrap up that old phone wire too.