Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Okay I understand a bit better. You don't have a house alarm on POTS right? Like I said, I'd check for voltage first. Don't need to short a loaded pair causing issues for them. I don't know if VZ leaves CO battery on the pair or not. Consolidated Communications up here most of the time disconnects the pair in the CO. Those Keptel NIDs are fucking garbage anyway. No room to loop up extra IW in the closure.

No. No alarm tied to it.

Yeah. I’d isolate each conductor off and stash the line.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
We asked an HD employee once to open a new pallet of wood once, seemed annoyed we asked.

Only reason we did was because someone had taken the strapping shears and we couldn't find them.

I should carry my Leatherman, but it disappeared two years ago. :mad:
You guys should try being chicks. I’ve never had an employee think twice about cutting open a new stack of wood for me.

I figured you wouldn't.

Kinda like I don't care how google tracks my android phone.

But that sort of thing gives me a lot of pause when it's on my house.
It's outside though, where I have no expectation of privacy anyway. However, that's why I have secondary controls on the camera inside the house. ;)

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Got all those old wires and demarc cleaned up. Looks a lot better.

Started electrical. Got all my boxes up and 12/2 run. Did 2 of 4 double duplex outlets.

I'll clean up and do the other two outlet boxes tomorrow.

Should be ready to paint the rest of the floor this week.

Shit needs to be done before the Superb Owl party.

I’ve got some 3/4” plywood and shelf brackets. Going to make some shelves for some of that chalkboard wall.

190121488IMG0389.jpg

So I'm thinking of rolling our homebrew operation into our home automation setup.

I recently got a Tilt, which is a digital hydrometer/thermometer that floats in the wort. Now I knew that the yeast generated heat, but never really knew how much. Turns out that when our fermenting fridge was at 68F, the wort had gotten to 74F. That's a huge difference, and it makes a HUGE difference to the yeast too, as you can get some odd esters and phenols at those temps.

So the Tilt is Bluetooth and can report its results to a Google Sheet. Instead of using a thermometer inside the fridge, I'm thinking of using a smart plug to turn on/off the fridge based on the actual reported wort temp. It should make for much better control, and therefore better beer!