Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Back on topic, @Domon what else are you using Echo Speaks for?

I've got the following setup now:
* Alert when HVAC is on and contacts are open, first at 3 mins, then every 5.
* Alert when garage door has been open, every 30 minutes.

Does "contacts" mean a window or door?

This double quotes sometimes in a randomly generated manner. Or I guess I didn't post that nukes part earlier. I am sometimes overwhelmed by life, people (・・ ) ?

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
this is so smart.

Here, there has been more than one occasion where I left the garage door open - overnight - when it's sub zero outside. I hate the slow "sonofabitch" going through my head in the morning when I open the door to the garage to throw something in the garbage can & see daylight and frost IN my garage.

:lol:

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and wetwillie
So the Maytag refrigerator we bought had been *very slightly* damaged and simply didn't seem to have the build quality of our old Whirlpool Gold. I called them and they said I had 5 days to exchange for any reason. The new one we wanted is on backorder until 1/16.

So they're letting us keep this one for a month until the new one comes in. Wow. They just earned a Whirlpool customer for life.

Back on topic, @Domon what else are you using Echo Speaks for?

I've got the following setup now:
* Alert when HVAC is on and contacts are open, first at 3 mins, then every 5.

Right now nothing, as it busted for me (node data error). I gotta reinstall or something.

Current uses

1) Kid alarm. Door open warning, unlock warning.
2) fire, smoke, and water verbal alerts in addition to the alarm.
3) during the daytime, verbal alerts to external motion detected on the driveway (letting me know if anyone pulls up)

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and wetwillie
Right now nothing, as it busted for me (node data error). I gotta reinstall or something.

Current uses

1) Kid alarm. Door open warning, unlock warning.
2) fire, smoke, and water verbal alerts in addition to the alarm.
3) during the daytime, verbal alerts to external motion detected on the driveway (letting me know if anyone pulls up)
#3 - the dog(I think you have one) wants to know why you don't trust them for that job. :p
Very handy if you work from home. Not everyone wants the mail lady to catch them running around in the buff.o_O

So the Maytag refrigerator we bought had been *very slightly* damaged and simply didn't seem to have the build quality of our old Whirlpool Gold. I called them and they said I had 5 days to exchange for any reason. The new one we wanted is on backorder until 1/16.

So they're letting us keep this one for a month until the new one comes in. Wow. They just earned a Whirlpool customer for life.
Especially over the holidays, you don't want to deal with it, so good on them! Our dishwasher is whirlpool.

Do you need an extra fridge? Maybe you can get the fucked up one at a steep discount.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
Especially over the holidays, you don't want to deal with it, so good on them! Our dishwasher is whirlpool.

Mine is a 4th generation Scottish-American deluxe model. Been cleaning dishes for what seems like forever without so much as a hiccup.
I'd recommend those if your Whirlpool ever lets you down.

Anyone ever have air sealing or blown in cellulose done?
When I was a kid up north, we had cellulose blown into a section of the house that had been added. It was pretty cool, took one morning, and that staircase was warm after that. Dad had no regrats about doing it.